PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Getting to know you........

Comments

• Tiglath
    Tiglath Posts: 3,816 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker Debt-free and Proud!
    Hello everyone - I used to read here ages ago and just remembered MSE so thought I'd join. Middle-aged, off work until October following recurring surgery and radio-iodine treatment. Looking to get back in control of the house and garden following 3 years of poor health and squeezed disposable income. It's all in a state, I can tell you! I could probably fill a skip with the house-clutter alone, but I'm going to pay a friend to hack back the garden, and hopefully I can grow veg again next year. I'm presuming the fruit trees and bushes have survived although I don't know for sure - I can't really get out there to see as walking is a bit difficult at the moment.

Today I'm feeling better for the first time following surgery a couple of weeks ago. Once the brambles, bindweed and comfrey are gone, it will be nice to be able to hang my washing out again - I always feel good if I manage to do that. I remember this part of the forum as being friendly and supportive, so am looking forward to getting involved :) I'll contribute what I can although I'm a bit rusty on the OS front.
    "Save £12k in 2019" #120 - £100,699.57/£100,000
  • daz378
    daz378 Posts: 1,003 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    hi living hi up near manchester, work in care for council , been stocking up on essentials , in case made redundant can surive for a bit and any other potential bumps on the way. used this site years ago for a template letter to reclaim p.f.i ... definately need wellies
  • Hello all. I've posted three times in the distant past but have spent most of my time lurking since. I am in awe of all you Old Style ladies and gents!

I'm due my first baby in 2 weeks and have started maternity leave. Now that I'm going to be a mother I really need to get my act in gear! My worst failing is cooking and menu planning (I actually really like cleaning, doing the laundry, etc, but don't ask me to bake or cook!). Food is just so expensive now (and getting more expensive) that I have to stop wasting time and money and plan, plan, plan!

I look forward to chatting with you all!
  • Godiva500
    Godiva500 Posts: 443 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Hi all
    I contribute to many of the threads on MSE, and have only just noticed this one!!!
    I was helped by people on here to achieve a Debt relief order 3 1/2 years ago, and haven't looked back since. I contribute to decluttering and grocery challenges mainly, butI am always on the lookout for money saving ideas.
    I am 67 and married and we are both retired, so money is very tight. We are managing, just, but, as for you all, it is a struggle. We have 2 cats from a sanctuary, and i think they eat better than we do lol
    When I am not looking at MSE, I am a digital artist with 2 published books, and I also love my Ipad where I am constantly reading new books. I also love TV, so between them all, I am rarely bored lol.
  • missrlr
    missrlr Posts: 2,192 Forumite
    Hello I have long been a MSE and used the site to great effect. Recently found the now combined household contains far too much debt and the prospect of redundancy so returning to my roots and cutting back the household bills. Just need DH to have his LMB and sort his debt out.
    Scientist by training working daft hours, fundraiser for various charities need a work life balance, No time for TV but bit of an exercise /gym bunny.
    Adore my animals but I am outliving them these days.
    Hello all.
    Start info Dec11 :eek:
    H@lifax [STRIKE]£13813.45[/STRIKE] paid Sep14 paid 23 months early :T
    Mortgage [STRIKE]£206400[/STRIKE] :eek: £199750 Mortgage £112500
    B@rclays £[STRIKE]25000[/STRIKE] paid 4 years 5 months early. S@ntander £[STRIKE]9300[/STRIKE] paid 2 years 2 months early
    2013 8lb lost 2014 need to lose 14lb. Lost 4 so far!;)
  • fatnan
    fatnan Posts: 132 Forumite
    :)Just noticed this thread and it makes fascinating reading, I'm just hanging on to my 60's - will be 70 next month. I was widowed almost 3 years ago and still miss my husband so much. I've always tried to be careful with money and always shop around. It makes my day if I can get a bargain. I have a rescue dog and help out at a local school one day a week (unpaid).
  • bev62
    bev62 Posts: 46 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Hello, I have been a long time lurker, but recently decided I would start to post.

Me - 50, divorced, work FT, live with 22 yo daughter, and very spoilt dog and cat. I am always skint - but always have food in the cupboard. My mum taught me to always have at least a spare one of everything.

I have always cooked from scratch, baked, made jam & chutney and in recent years have discovered making liqueurs and other flavoured alcohol... hic:beer:. But recently found I cant be arsed - more and more... and waste money on buying quick junk food.So hoping to find my mojo again!

I have recently started knitting again after 22 years off. I actually wanted to learn to crochet - but couldn't get my head round it - so dusted off my knitting needles - and loving it again.
    So looking forward to being inspired by all the great info on here - and contributing!
    #44   £168.41/£2023
  • Well hello there everyone !

I have been a lurker for a while and decided to join, I am a mum of one human and one furbaby, Im a 31, married and trying to start my own business.

I love to cook and will cook from scratch 9 times out of 10 !!, We move around alot due to hubbies job but thats the nature of the beast.

Errrm and thats all I can think of atm lol
  • Kuuj
    Kuuj Posts: 5 Forumite
    I live in Northern Canada, near the Arctic. I run the produce department at a grocery store full-time and study business through online university courses. My fiancee and I have a 1 year old husky/lab dog named Tippy.

We live in a remote fly-in community. Our wages are high but so is the cost of living. Our rent and utilities are paid for and we pay a small fee for a large food allowance to help us buy food at the higher cost. We have no debt, never carry a balance on our credit cards, and save about 50% of all our income towards our yearly vacation and so we can buy a house with a large down payment in a few years. We would forgo the vacation but our employer flies us out of the community once a year for mental health reasons!

I just discovered this forum today and fell in love with it! I am seeking ways to save even more money towards our down payment. Because we have very few bills, we have a lot of disposable income. We do tend to buy whatever we want though - something we have to curb!

I'm looking forward to reading these forums daily to learn from experienced posters!

Cheers,

K
  • So, not sure how to start my first post... Hello to anyone that's interested in what I am about to say! The name of the thread gives a little insight but let me start with some background; I have been reading these forums for the past few months and I've really enjoyed it. Old style is my favourite and although I had been trying to be frugal prior to discovering MSE, my eyes have been opened! Not in a bad way - I have learnt so many new tips, and generally enjoyed the friendly community feel on here.

I live with my partner, who I felt has never really embraced my money saving efforts until a few days ago! Basically the scenario was this, partner heads to the shop for a micromeal & shaving foam. We live near a T Metro store & the price is generally slightly higher than in the larger versions of the shop so he would normally have spent around £4 for shaving foam (the best a man can get!) and probably the same on his dinner, however what he returned with made me feel so proud!! Value shaving foam & a value meal! - he proudly tells me the shaving foam was 23p and his micromeal reduced to about 90p! I was so proud of him!

The reason my post is a thank you is because this forum is brilliant, I am happy it exists and I believe that my increased frugality(?!) finally encouraged my partner to look at how he spends his money! I have never ever tried to force it on him, I've talked everything through with him that was going to effect him (groceries!) so that he had no nasty shocks and explained I want to save money and I wasn't just being "tight" for no reason!

We both work full time so I could understand his resistance at first, but as he is the one in debt I think he is now starting to follow my example as we would love to get on the property market as soon as possible.

Ok my first post is done, thank you if anyone finishes reading this!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure