Sort 7 financial things in 7 days

Comments

• mineallmine
    mineallmine Posts: 3,053
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    Right I'll bear that offer in mind :j

I understand, hopefully it's right, that each years isa allowance is visually like a different colour pig! And said pig can only consume so much in total for that year/and overall. So purple pig(!) for 2012/13 = that years isa allowance. So it's almost as if they're sealed shut after year end.

Damn confusing stuff!
    :) Declutter 300 things in December challenge, 9/300. Clear the living room. Re-organize storage
    :cool2: Cherryprint: "More stuff = more stuff to tidy up!"
    Less things. Less stuff. More life.
    :heart: Fab thread: Long daily walks
  • I understand, hopefully it's right, that each years isa allowance is visually like a different colour pig! And said pig can only consume so much in total for that year/and overall. So purple pig(!) for 2012/13 = that years isa allowance.

:rotfl:Will tell DF that one!

He tried to explain it to me but I ended up getting even more confused :o

BUT what I don't understand - is, if the pig's aren't full for for that year - why can't you pay more to them after that & why do you have to start a new one?
    Grocery Challenge £211/£455 (01/01-31/03)
    2016 Sell: £125/£250
    £1,000 Emergency Fund Challenge #78 £3.96 / £1,000
    Vet Fund: £410.93 / £1,000
    Debt free & determined to stay that way!
  • mineallmine
    Forumite
    I know what you mean rising. Opening one each year is a pain. And the horrendous deal that my one now is just shows how these things should be reviewed and refreshed every year. I guess even if at the very least you ring your existing one to get a better deal for the coming year. Clearly this isn't something I've done for a long time.

It feels like spinning plates! :)

But I'm hoping that as I simplify things and sort things like this that all this will become easier and less daunting :A
    :) Declutter 300 things in December challenge, 9/300. Clear the living room. Re-organize storage
  • OK .... a wee update - this has highlighted one of my (many!) problems.

I just can't seem to start and finish something:o (unless really important!)

I guess I'm a bit restricted atm .... but still!:mad:

1. Write to bank to close old savings account & request a cheque for outstanding balance (only around £3 but hey ...)
    2. Write to old employer's pension agency to advise of change of address (moved in 2007 :o) and request update pension forecast * have found all pension paperwork ready to write letters - have also discovered a pension I'd forgotten about :o (tiny one & have tried to close / transfer it in the past which I can't & is a bit of a pain as it's never going to be worth anything!)
    3. Write to CU to increase salary deduction to savings account to £20 / month (have been meaning to do this all year:o)
    4. Financial filing - sorting through bags of old stuff from the "forgotten years" # 1 big bag left :) shredder overheated earlier:eek: so hoping it'll work again once it's cooled down!
    5. [STRIKE]Start new DFW Diary[/STRIKE] DONE
    6. Sort out new ISA for 2012 monthly saver money (boiler fund) Form to sign arrived yesterday BUT it says to enclose a cheque for payment - when it said I could do the transfer online..... no idea where my cheque book is :eek: (it will be somewhere safe .... just where is the problem:o)
  • mineallmine
    Forumite
    How about requesting another cheque book rising, online, at ATM or in branch. Good to have a spare :j
  • WelshWoofer
    WelshWoofer Posts: 5,076 Forumite
    Not a tremendous amount to report - I did stay in this weekend and so saved money on going out.
    I have looked at the direct debits and can't find anything to cut down on - apart from Sky and I don't have movies or sports so there's not much else I can give up apart from the whole thing - not wanting to do that:eek:

4 days to payday - not over drawn and have paid all bills and don't need food shopping or petrol so should make it without going into the red.

I get extra pay this month - about £200 - for doing some extra work over half term - its going straight into the sofas account and will then pay off the new sofas on Saturday - no interest paid and 6 months free sofas!
  • Here is my debt free diary:
    A Debt Free Journey From Stress to Success
  • mineallmine
    Forumite
    1. Close an old savings account and cancel the standing order (yes I know this should be straightforward :o)
    2. Open a new savings account with best rate etc
    3. Get an ISA for this financial year, again with best rate
    4. Check interest rate on old ISA. Consider transfer.
    5. Do an up to date inventory of all monthly/yearly direct debits. Check through it.
    6. Reconnect the Energy Monitor. See what the thirsty lights/ appliances are. Think how to reduce energy usuage.
    7. Research options for loft insultation top up (DIY, MSE newsletter offers)

Anyone want to join me? I'm starting tomorrow 6/12/12.
    :A
    No 1 is DONE
    No 4 is partly DONE
    No 7 is DONE. We're going to DIY this.

Slow progress but progress nonetheless. How's everyone else doing? :j
  • mineallmine
    Forumite

Great diary :j
  • No 7 is DONE. We're going to DIY this.

Ohhhh you've reminded me I got a leaflet offering us insulation (free) on Saturday - must dig it out to ring tomorrow! Ta

ETA found it! Have put on the table so I can't miss it in the morning! (and will add to my daily to do list):)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure