santander scam phone call

apologies if this is not the right place to post this thread.

i thought i would make people aware of the following. i just had an automated call from the following number 08453512275 claiming to be santander fraud department. i got a little suspiscious when the robot-like voice did not pronounce my surname properly and when i was asked to provide confirmation of my date of birth. as i hung up from my mobile, the same call came through the landline within seconds.

i called santander to verify whether the call was legit and it was not....

a little worrying...as when it came to dob menu the options offered had part of my dob...

is there anyway to report that number??

Comments

• pmduk
    pmduk Posts: 10,655 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    I wouldn't worry, automated voices frequently mispronounce names (and many other words). It seems quite common for call centres not to know about this type of call, probably a debit card transaction appears unusual/suspicious.
  • miche
    miche Posts: 21 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    thanks everyone. as i've just found out my card has been blocked!!! ah!!!! :o so it is santander after all!
  • Yes, I have a particular dislike for this type of thing. On one hand, banks tell people to be on their guard and not respond to suspicious calls and ignore emails that play on terms such as "very important security" and "if you don't respond, your account will be locked".

Then they make unsolicited computer-generated calls from numbers that their staff aren't aware of, often stating that this is an important security announcement and failure to comply will result in your account being blocked.

It's taken YEARS to get Joe Public to stop clicking on links in emails and teaching them to be suspicious of cold calls. The banks are undoing all the good work that's been achieved in the last 5 - 10 years and this is, to my mind, one of the biggest scandals of the last couple of years.

When you do speak to the Security department, they seem oblivious to the fact that customers should be suspicious of Metal Mickey asking for their personal details.
    You've never seen me, but I've been here all along - watching and learning...:cool:
  • Yes, I have a particular dislike for this type of thing. On one hand, banks tell people to be on their guard and not respond to suspicious calls and ignore emails that play on terms such as "very important security" and "if you don't respond, your account will be locked".

Then they make unsolicited computer-generated calls from numbers that their staff aren't aware of, often stating that this is an important security announcement and failure to comply will result in your account being blocked.

It's taken YEARS to get Joe Public to stop clicking on links in emails and teaching them to be suspicious of cold calls. The banks are undoing all the good work that's been achieved in the last 5 - 10 years and this is, to my mind, one of the biggest scandals of the last couple of years.

When you do speak to the Security department, they seem oblivious to the fact that customers should be suspicious of Metal Mickey asking for their personal details.
    Agree with everything you've said, when it was alliance & leicester, they used to phone me within seconds of a suspicious transaction and it was a real person on the end of the phone!
    We also got one of these from nationwide a couple of weeks ago and was asked to press any number to continue, we did and then were told to re-dial them.
  • fozmcfc
    fozmcfc Posts: 3,098 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker PPI Party Pooper Debt-free and Proud!
    Natwest uses a computer voice message for possible fraud and sadly I experienced it a few years back.

Haven't experienced it, but Egg also uses one but not just for possible fraud, but also if you don't keep your account in order. They even have a link on the website for customers so you can hear what the message will sound like.
  • fozmcfc wrote: »
    Natwest uses a computer voice message for possible fraud and sadly I experienced it a few years back.

Haven't experienced it, but Egg also uses one but not just for possible fraud, but also if you don't keep your account in order. They even have a link on the website for customers so you can hear what the message will sound like.
    It still comes down to bad practice. So, as a fraudster, they even allow me to sample and record a "legitimate" message, and give weight to my scam by virtue that they have legitimised the content in advance.

There is no good security-driven reason for banks doing this, it's purely to save them money, and I would urge people never to use the automated system, but instead dial the number on the back of the card and ask to speak to the fraud department - then tell them you're concerned about a suspicious automated call you've received. Don't accept their argument that you only have to enter partial information - ANY information is too much!
    You've never seen me, but I've been here all along - watching and learning...:cool:
  • molley
    molley Posts: 528 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    edited 14 November 2010 at 4:11PM
    Once again this morning I got an automated call about 4 transactions they consider that need confirming by myself ( I get these a lot) and of the 4 transactions I recognised 3 but one I did not .It was for 78p and I could not hear the details clearly so I went in to my online account but the 3 appeared OK,one being a £2 Tesco Grocery order charge that they always claim until the order is completed ...the other 2 had already been paid and appeared on the statement .The 78p was not there at all ,not even in the difference between the balances showing .

I called the number and spoke to someone in Portugal and all she could tell me was that the 78p was for today (14Nov) with a company called PSE and I did not recognise that . She said that was all the info she had and that she would stop the card and issue a new one and when I asked what I was supposed to do when I went out today she said I could go to a branch ....I had to remind her that this was a Sunday ??? She asked if I wanted to confirm this 78p and I said that was HER call but she insisted it was MINE so I told her if that was the case then I was unhappy about her being unable to just stop this one transaction and I would be complaining about it ..Santander's UK Fraud do not work on a Sunday so I could not speak to them but I'll definitely be speaking to them tomorrow .
    I definitely did not make any transactions this morning as I was still in bed when the call came and for such an amount it's unlikely to be genuine .
    One problem is that online company names are different from their "banking" names so it might not be immediately obvious who they are . Also I wonder exactly what Santander's system considers to be suss...The Tesco £2 and the others were from well known UK companies ,one a well established website and the other a UK baking utensils retailer ..
  • I like it when Santander automatic fraud calls my mobile, then has a minor hissy fit because it wants me to dial numbers but mobiles don't have tones so it won't work.

It's almost as funny as when you speak to the call centre who say must be a mistake then 3 days later your account gets blocked.

All hilarious not having access to your own money :(
    Santander are awful - mission in life is to warn people since 17-Sep-10, 18-Sep-10 realised one of thousands.
  • chris_m
    chris_m Posts: 8,250 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    My last Halifax CC statement had a note on it advising of this sort of thing, including telling me to make sure they have my mobile number - nothing about if one doesn't have a mobile, even if I did I wouldn't have it switched on 24/7 anyway.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure