PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

Mains interlinked smoke detector - keeps beeping!

Options
As above, it's a Garvan inonization mains interlinked detector. I've replaced the battery with a new one, it isnt dirty but it won't stop beeping as though the battery needs replacing but it has a new one in. It's in an empty rented property and the tenant is due to move in but it's only two years old.

It's an alarm that won't let you screw the lid on until the battery is in to prevent tampering and I don't want the lithium cells to deplete by leaving the lid off but I need to stop it beeping and/or renew. It has been fine, tenants moved out and now it has started bleeping. The green light is on when connected to the mains. Is it broken? I have lost the instructions to this alarm and can't find any online but it is similar to others and behaving in the same way to the others where I have instructions and their troubleshooting guide is not helping other than telling me it must be faulty.

Any help please.

Comments

• Ian_Griffiths_Halifax
    Options
    Have you checked to see if the house is on fire?
    I am a Mortgage Consultant and don't like to be told what I can and can't put in a signature so long as it's legal and truthful.
  • sooz
    sooz Posts: 4,560 Forumite
    Options
    paintpot wrote: »
    I have lost the instructions to this alarm and can't find any online but it is similar to others and behaving in the same way to the others where I have instructions and their troubleshooting guide is not helping other than telling me it must be faulty.

Any help please.

You need to provide new tenants with the instructions for these. Replace it now, & copy & file the instructions.
  • tbs624
    tbs624 Posts: 10,816 Forumite
    Options
    It may be worth you trying a few squirts of compressed air on it http://www.maplin.co.uk/Module.aspx?ModuleNo=25351&doy=25m8&C=SO&U=strat15

They can play up if the temperature drops and/or condensation is present - you don't say how long the property has been empty?

Agree with Sooz though - tenants must have a copy at the property.

Is there a registered UK dealer for Garvan whom you could contact?

Maybe you could post a wanted over at LLzone or somewhere on yahoo groups? (there may be even be another appropriate section on MSE?)

Edit- just to add (esp given your user name :smiley:) apparently paint fumes can contaminate the alarms. Have you recently redecorated?
  • paintpot
    Options
    Thanks everyone. I had the carpets cleaned so TBS you might have hit the nail on the head as it may be the dampness that has got into the alarm and yes I have done some decorating too. Albeit the work was completed over two weeks ago and it has only just started beeping as the agent has been in a few times and was only there yesterday to read the meters when he heard it beeping.

I have a folder for every house and do give instructions to tenants on everything but just couldn't lay my hands on these :mad: only instructions for another make of alarm that's very similar from another house. They are usually tiny little booklets so it's probably stuck inside another one or something and its not on the manufacturers site so I'll have to hunt one down.

Fortunately, the house wasn't on fire Ian. It makes a much louder noise than a beep in a fire :D
  • paintpot
    paintpot Posts: 764 Forumite
    Options
    :D

I thought I should maybe confess! It would appear that I am bit thick :D

The smoke alarm is now fixed because it may not have been the smoke alarm beeping but the CO detector that is nearby :p Or else they were both beeping and I fixed the smoke detector and the CO was still beeping which I didn't notice.

Because it is only a quick beep every 40 seconds it's really hard to hear where it is coming from. Anyone else find it hard to hear where noises are coming from - no?, ok it's just me :rotfl: But I am certain the smoke alarm was beeping because I took it down and it was beeping in my hand :confused: I kept running up and down the stairs to listen for where the beep was coming from and which alarm is was as there is an open plan staircase that separates the two smoke detectors.

No more beeping. :T
  • tbs624
    tbs624 Posts: 10,816 Forumite
    Options
    Thanks for sharing that Paintpot............your honesty is admirable .:rotfl:
  • paintpot
    paintpot Posts: 764 Forumite
    Options
    Thanks tbs. At least I didn't call out an electrician to go and fix it :eek:

It was one of "those" days yesterday :o The other paintpot is back today :D
  • Ephemera
    Ephemera Posts: 1,604 Forumite
    Options
    Just wondering if your units have internal batteries that need replacing....?

They may be mains powered but they will have battery backup. And are you sure that the mains supply is actually getting to your beeping detector? (ex gas alarm engineer here... can you tell? :0))
    If you do what you've always done, you'll get what you've always got.

• draconian_2
    Options
    Hello There
    I have the same issue - hence found this post - except having taken my smoke detector down the panel says there are no user servicable parts within and that it should not be opened. The rechargeable battery is not changeable.

Funny I just turned on the heating and 20 minutes later its beeping!

I now recall this happened before - not sure what to do - the unit says it MUST be changed by 2014!
    Its 5 years old - and its gonna keep me up all night!

Any tips - alternatively I guess I just get a new unit...

Thanks

D
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family