until what age do you pay child maintenance?

Can anyone please confirm what age you should pay child maintenance till if your child continues education after the age of 16. I pay my maintenace volunteraly (ie; not by court order or through CSA) but I have been given unofficial conflicting views as to whether it is until my child is 18 or 19, or even 21 if they go onto university?.

Comments

• RadoJo
    RadoJo Posts: 1,828 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    I would say as long as you think they need it. If your child goes to work at 16, and becomes independent and isn't being supported by anyone, then you could consider stopping. Would you consider stopping payments if it was legal in a situation where you thought your child would still need your support?
  • swampduck
    swampduck Posts: 962 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    If your child is in full time education whether at school or college you should pay until they leave - ie when they reach 19 years old is the cut off point at least with the CSA.

Whether your income is taken into account when they apply to university - re: Grants etc is something that I must look into as my son is considering University when he leaves college in 2008. I believe that parental income is what dictates how much or little help your children get when they attend university (irrespective of whether parents are divorced, separated or whatever)

Swampy
    Expect the worst, hope for the best, and take what comes!!:o
  • MJMum
    MJMum Posts: 580 Forumite

Don't see the point anymore in offering advice to people who only want to be agreed with...
  • I think most people pay maintianance to the parent-with-care up until the child leaves their home (well, or turns 18 and/or gets a job)

If your child goes to uni and you still want to financially support him/her then the money should go directly to the child and all 'maintance' payements to your exwife would stop. You income would not be assessed when the child gets student fees / loan assessed - only the parent they live with.
  • swampduck wrote: »
    If your child is in full time education whether at school or college you should pay until they leave - ie when they reach 19 years old is the cut off point at least with the CSA.

Whether your income is taken into account when they apply to university - re: Grants etc is something that I must look into as my son is considering University when he leaves college in 2008. I believe that parental income is what dictates how much or little help your children get when they attend university (irrespective of whether parents are divorced, separated or whatever)

Swampy

The student fees and loans are calculated only using the income of parent the child lives with. No mention of the other parent has to be made.
  • victory
    victory Posts: 16,188 Forumite
    My brother is seperated and will pay for his 2 boys until they are 18 or until their further education finishes.....
    misspiggy wrote: »
    I'm sure you're an angel in disguise Victory :)
  • aMeLia'S~MuMMY
    aMeLia'S~MuMMY Posts: 2,545 Forumite
    mrelephant wrote: »
    Can anyone please confirm what age you should pay child maintenance till if your child continues education after the age of 16. I pay my maintenace volunteraly (ie; not by court order or through CSA) but I have been given unofficial conflicting views as to whether it is until my child is 18 or 19, or even 21 if they go onto university?.

For the CSA the maximum age which a child ceases to be a child is 19 ~ as long as they are in full time non advanced education ( A level, equivelant standard or less) however there are critria where a child ceases to be a child at a lower age, such as getting a job or education at a higher level.

:A
    This is a do-it-yourself test for paranoia: you know you've got it when you can't think of anything that's your fault.
    Robert M. Hutchins
  • jbbonce
    jbbonce Posts: 256 Forumite
    swampduck wrote: »

Swampy

They only take into account the income of the parent the child lives with for uni purposes
    :j Baby bonce was born on Christmas morning after a ridiculously short labour and no pain relief! If only losing the baby weight was as easy!:T
  • Gusty
    Gusty Posts: 1 Newbie
    Hi, I am a newbie, so please forgive any errors..
    I have read this thread and I have a similar query.
    My daughter (19 in September 09) has decided to take a further A level course. Her mother (RP) has informed me (I am the NRP) that I am liable to continue maintenance payments until she finishes the new course.
    She is now seeking legal advice as I have told her that after my daughter is 19, I will no longer pay maintenance to the RP, but will give my daughter a 'contribution' directly.
    How do I stand, am I right or do I need to do some frantic 'Back-peddling' ?

Thanks in advance
    Gusty
  • The CSA will close a case when the child is 19 at the latest - or earlier if the child leaves full time - (non advanced) education
    hope this helps
    Comp Wins 2011 : Cant wait to start listing everything:j:j:j
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family