What is OSP?

Options
Occupation Sick Pay - I've been told by my employer that I am entitled to it because I don't earn enough to get SSP.

I was signed off work for two weeks following a hospital stay of one day.

When I went to the job centre they gave me a IS form, which I think is the wrong one - is there a seperate one for under 25s as the rules are different?
No longer using this account for new posts from 2013

Comments

• dmg24
    dmg24 Posts: 33,925 Forumite
    Options
    Occupational Sick Pay refers to the sickness benefits paid by your employer rather than by the state, the amounts for which you will be entitled to should be part of your terms and conditions of employment, or in a sickness absence policy.

I'm not familiar with the Jobcentre rules for under 25's, but OSP would be paid by your employer - usually you only try to claim SSP or Incapacity Benefit after your OSP runs out.

You could do with either referring to your contract of employment, and seeing if a sickness absence policy is in there, or speaking to your employer again to clarify what they mean by OSP, because if you are getting OSP, then SSP shouldn't (yet!) be an issue.

Good luck!
    Gone ... or have I?
  • Gemmzie
    Gemmzie Posts: 14,876 Forumite
    Options
    Oh I see, work gave me a SSP1 form filled out saying I could not get SSP (as I expected) but could get OSP. So they pay that, will have to dig out my contract.

Thanks
  • mrsh_2
    mrsh_2 Posts: 66 Forumite
    Options
    No separate form for under 25s, not different rules, just less money.
    If they have given you a SSP1 you will also need to claim Incapacity Benefit. This is claimed when an employer does not pay SSP.
  • Gemmzie
    Options
    Have checked work contract and it says, contractual sick pay of four weeks will be paid after 26 weeks service (first day of sickness unpaid).

So, they owe me three days pay. But will this be added onto next month's payslip? And the IB claim will take a few weeks I expect?
    Is there anyway I can get work to cough up sooner? I have bills to pay at the end of the month!
  • madduck
    madduck Posts: 291 Forumite
    Options
    Bit confused Gemmzie. If you were off sick for 2 weeks - why would they only owe you 3 days OSP? If there is no pay for the first day of sickness, the rest of the 2 weeks should be paid.

Also, bit unusual for OSP not to be paid real time - by that I mean if the 2 weeks sick leave occurred in August, it would be fairly normal for this to be paid in the August salary and not in arrears ie September.

Best course of action would be to speak to your HR or Payroll department.
  • Gemmzie
    Options
    Because I only work two days a week.

We don't have HR or Payroll :rolleyes: I've spoken to my old supervisor (who was around last week covering holidays) and she said I am entitled to the OSP, and as you said - should have been paid it in the July wages.
    So I can't do anything but wait until next week and see if it turns up this month.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport