BARCLAYS BANK PLC-LEXISNEXIS RIS on my equifax report

Options
Does anyone know who/what this is? This was only done a few days ago, I bank with Barclays but have not asked them for anything recently.

LexisNexis http://www.lexisnexisrisk.co.uk/lexis-diligence.php seem to be some sort of risk management company.

Comments

• stclair
    stclair Posts: 6,844 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    It's just an anti money laundering search, banks tend to do them now and again.

It's nothing to worry about as the searches are not visible to other lenders.
    Im an ex employee RBS Group
    However Any Opinion Given On MSE Is Strictly My Own
  • iblametheparents
    Options
    If you change your address over the phone and don't have a telephone banking passcode then the adviser does a soft search of your credit file and asks you personalised questions to verify your identity. You are advised of this before the search is done.
  • agarnett
    agarnett Posts: 1,301 Forumite
    edited 20 February 2015 at 3:44PM
    Options
    If you change your address over the phone and don't have a telephone banking passcode then the adviser does a soft search of your credit file and asks you personalised questions to verify your identity. You are advised of this before the search is done.
    Yes, just got the same marker for that reason in my Equifax records. I don't call them very often and needed urgently to call when I was out because I'd had a dumb text message from Barclays that made no sense.

What we are not told is that LexisNexis is a US company and clearly, based upon the correct responses to some of the "personalised" questions asked, it stores personal data which has long since been removed from UK CRA databases, e.g. addresses last occupied by the data subject 20 years ago.

Questions might be:
    • why do Barclays use personal data like that which is stored offshore ?
    • is it acceptable for UK citizens' life history personal data like that to be in the hands of a US company, when it is not acceptable for it to remain stored by a UK company?
  • GingerBob_3
    GingerBob_3 Posts: 3,659 Forumite
    Options
    agarnett wrote: »
    Yes, just got the same marker for that reason in my Equifax records. I don't call them very often and needed urgently to call when I was out because I'd had a dumb text message from Barclays that made no sense.

What we are not told is that LexisNexis is a US company and clearly, based upon the correct responses to some of the "personalised" questions asked, it stores personal data which has long since been removed from UK CRA databases, e.g. addresses last occupied by the data subject 20 years ago.

Questions might be:
    • why do Barclays use personal data like that which is stored offshore ?
    • is it acceptable for UK citizens' life history personal data like that to be in the hands of a US company, when it is not acceptable for it to remain stored by a UK company?
    No, it absolutely isn't, but there's nothing we can do about it. The ICO is a toothless, spineless waste of space that most organisations simply ignore.
  • Sluke
    Options
    This just hit my credit file, i worked out with the help of my local branch that it was because i got asked 3 questions by 'Verified by Visa' during an internet transaction. The VbV gets the questions from stuff in your credit file.
  • agarnett
    agarnett Posts: 1,301 Forumite
    Options
    The VbV gets the questions from stuff in your credit file.
    Er ... no, I don't think so, unless you are defining LexisNexis as a trustworthy and expected guardian of your "credit file". See previous posts in this thread. It seems to get the data from an offshore American outfit called LexisNexis who store aged personal data of the type that appears to be a breach of DPA for a CRA to store under UK law.

So I think we can be fairly safe in the assumption that LexisNexis buy data from UK CRAs at a point before the UK CRAs are obliged under UK law to give it up.

Your personal data lives in perpetuity of course somewhere in the world irrespective of UK law or indeed any law. There's money to be made by outlaws.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure