PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Carpet beetles and borax

Comments

• elsien
    elsien Posts: 32,715 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    I hoovered under my blanket chest today ( first time in a while:o ) and there's lots of little white oval case type things (empty, about 1-2mm wide, 6-7mm long), along with a lovely hole in my carpet. My first thought was moths, but I've tipped out everything that was in the blanket box ( including a wool bedspread) and I can't see any sign that any of it has been munched.

So is it moths, or is there anything else it could be? If it's something else, other than hoovering and essential oils, is there anything else I can do?

I've read the moth threads, and have started washing things just in case, but wasn't sure if I needed to wash the cotton stuff as well? (Paranoia has started to set in with a vengeance.)
    All shall be well, and all shall be well, and all manner of things shall be well.

Pedant alert - it's could have, not could of.
  • Icemaiden
    Icemaiden Posts: 641 Forumite
    First Post
    Might be carpet beetles:confused:

Ice
    x
    Rebel No 22
  • elsien
    How do I tell?
    All shall be well, and all shall be well, and all manner of things shall be well.

• Olliebeak
    Olliebeak Posts: 3,167 Forumite
    Sounds like carpet beetles to me too. I've often found these when checking out empty accommodation (part of my job). They frequently flourish where there are heavy items of furniture that aren't moved very often.
  • Sunnyday
    Sunnyday Posts: 3,855 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    I just googled carpet beetle and found allsorts it certainly sounds like them.

I found out what was eating my carpet - it was the dog :eek:

Good luck!
    SD
    Planning on starting the GC again soon :p
  • Iguana
    Iguana Posts: 1,780 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
  • Biggles
    Biggles Posts: 8,209 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    They are the casemaking clothes moth.
    http://www.andrewgreenpestcontrol.co.uk/Casemaking%20Clothes%20Moth.htm

We've got a wool carpet and found them and their damage under various pieces of furniture last year.

They like these dark places, and the main defence is to move the furniture and vacuum under it very regularly and very efficiently. There are pesticides designed for them but, as I understand it, the one that was really effective against these was banned by the EU two or three years ago, so what with that and climate change they are becoming more widespread. You could try these: http://www.pestcontroldirect.co.uk/acatalog/Pest_Control_Direct_Moth__housemoth__clothes_moth__case_bearing_moth__39.html
  • elsien
    That means I'm going to have to empty and move the wardrobes then. And lift the edges of the carpets. Oh joy!
    That'll teach me to only vacuum once a month.
    Biggles - did you use a spray or was just the vacuuming sufficient?

• Pink.
    Pink. Posts: 17,675 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Hi elsien,

There are some links and advice on this earlier thread that may help:

Carpet beetles and borax

I'll add your thread to that one later to keep all the suggestions together.

Pink
  • Biggles
    Biggles Posts: 8,209 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Elsien, I haven't resorted to a spray yet. General advice seems to be that regular vacuuming should be adequate. I reckon once a month would easily be enough, as long as you do under the furniture (and only bother where the carpet is wool, obviously!).

But, when I have found them, I've given them a blast of steam to make sure there are no live ones left (a steam cleaner would be ideal but we used the steam from a generator iron).

I haven't lifted the edges of the carpets (so far). All the damage seems to be on top, as that's where the 'food' is, ie the pile of the carpet.

Obviously, you need to check clothes in cupboards/wardrobes as well, though, like mine, yours only seem interested in the carpet. It may well be that the case-making clothes moth doesn't bother with clothes.

The other thing we now do is kill any clothes-type moth on sight, as it is them that lay the eggs.....
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure