PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

How can i clean a leather suite / sofa

Comments

• Well I never!!! You'd think after all the years I kept horses I'd have thought to use saddle soap to clean my leather sofas with wouldn't you :rolleyes: :doh: :wall:

I've even recommended it to other people to use on leather gloves and bike seats etc too LOL! :rolleyes:

I was struggling to find something to use (apart from buying the expensive cleaners of course) a few months back to get rid of some huge pinky orange patches on top of the back cushions (cream leather!) which had come off the cats' feet from some rather dodgy pink cat litter - and yes it also turned them pinky orange as they're white-based cats :eek: :rotfl: - so I resorted to babywipes in the end. They did the job but I've read somewhere they're not really that good for leather and can damage the surface :confused:

I'm sure I've still got a tin of saddle soap under the sink somewhere which will come in handy as they're due for another clean again, cheers! :D
    "An Ye Harm None, Do What Ye Will"
    ~
    It is that what you do, good or bad,
    will come back to you three times as strong!

• What's the best way to clean a leather sofa? I have been wiping it with a damp cloth, but have a feeling this may cause the leather to dry out in the long run. Any tips?
  • squeaky
    squeaky Posts: 14,129 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker
    Hiya :) and welcome to Money Saving.

Near the top of the list of Old Style threads there is a post called The MEGA Index.

In the cleaning section of that post are tips on cleaning various leather items and a small section listed under "sofa" that should help you. :)
    Hi, I'm a Board Guide on the Old Style and the Consumer Rights boards which means I'm a volunteer to help the boards run smoothly and can move and merge posts there. Board guides are not moderators and don't read every post. If you spot an inappropriate or illegal post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. It is not part of my role to deal with reportable posts. Any views are mine and are not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
    Never ascribe to malice that which is adequately explained by incompetence.
    DTFAC: Y.T.D = £5.20 Apr £0.50
  • Pink.
    Pink. Posts: 17,675 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
  • kiwichick
    kiwichick Posts: 1,857 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Hmmmmmmmmmmm, an interesting thread this one. I too clean my leather suite(which I hate with a passion) with damp cloths. Well, baby wipes actually :o

Will check out your links to see if I am doing more harm than good!

Al.
    WW Start Weight 18/04/12 = 19st 11lbs
    Weight today = 17st 6.5lbs
    Loss to date 32.5lbs!!!
  • black-saturn
    black-saturn Posts: 13,937 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    My ex mother in law (thank god) used to use a flannel with baby oil on it. She said it would clean it, preserve the leather, soften it, stop it from cracking and make it smell nice.
    2008 Comping Challenge
    Won so far - £3010 Needed - £230
    Debt free since Oct 2004
  • gkf
    gkf Posts: 404 Forumite
    I was told by the delivery man to clean it with unscented baby wipes so you are doing ok kiwichick!!
  • Quasar
    Quasar Posts: 121,720 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    ... and to finish off, a good rub all over with saddle soap will keep the leather supple. I'm sure you all know this, but just in case, saddle soap is a grease that can be bought at the better shoe shops or cobblers.

I use it to keep my old riding boots in good condition, and on my DocMartens. Works wonders on my leather handbags too.

Now why don't I try it on me old skin...
    Be careful who you open up to. Today it's ears, tomorrow it's mouth.
  • kiwichick
    kiwichick Posts: 1,857 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    My ex mother in law (thank god) QUOTE]

lol, you seem quite pleased about that! :rotfl:
    WW Start Weight 18/04/12 = 19st 11lbs
    Weight today = 17st 6.5lbs
    Loss to date 32.5lbs!!!
  • I have a dark brown leather sofa and find that olive oil does a great job! I wipe it over with a cloth soaked in olive oil and then polish off with a clean cloth.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure