Administration Fee for Buying a Car

I can't think of any situation where you pay somebody in order to buy a product from them. We went to Evans Halshaw today to look at a car. On top of the price, there was a £99 administration fee. I asked what this was for and it is apparently for a HPI-type check, which is normally around £20 to the public (and there are cheaper ones).

Evans Halshaw has already carried out this check when they took the car (a p/x). They want to pass this cost on and add a huge extra amount to add to their profits. I think Car Giant do a similar thing.

EH offered to halve the fee, but we didn't buy the car anyway and it would put me off buying from them in future.

Is this common practice? I normally buy privately, so I'm unfamiliar with dealer practice. Has anybody refused to pay the fee and had it dropped?
Je suis sabot...

Comments

• colino
    colino Posts: 5,059 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Dealers and auctions are all trying daft things to extract more cash from you. But don't forget the overall price (with all of the hidden extras) and make sure you are comparing like for like between cars and don't just exclude them for their weird pricing.
  • harveybobbles
    harveybobbles Posts: 8,973 Forumite
    I can't think of any situation where you pay somebody in order to buy a product from them.

"Hello, I'd like to buy some apples..."
    "That'd be £1.25, sir..."
    "Oh, ok then..."
  • molerat
    molerat Posts: 31,804 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Tell them what you are going to give them for the car. They either accept it or you walk away. Simple. The maximum you pay is what is on the sticker in the window which will include 6 months tax and half a tank. If they don't want your money it is up to them.
  • molerat
    "Hello, I'd like to buy some apples..."
    "That'd be £1.25, sir..."
    "Oh, ok then..."
    Plus £2 for putting it through the till, 50p for the bag, £1 for the heating and lighting ..............

They are havin a larf !!
  • MX5huggy
    MX5huggy Posts: 6,849 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    It's like We Buy Any Car, this is what we will offer you for the car minus the administration fee (just say how much you will buy the car for) or may be I should charge them an admin fee for buy from me, I am missing a trick.
  • molerat
    If you want to buy from a big dealership go in at the end of a quarter, they will do almost anything you want to reach bonus.
  • molerat wrote: »
    If you want to buy from a big dealership go in at the end of a quarter, they will do almost anything you want to reach bonus.

Including trying to shaft you in the process. Be careful, a dealer switched finance plans on me and tried to hurry me into buying. By switching they were denying me free extras that the original finance deal had!
    Tough times never last longer than tough people.
  • Judas wrote: »
    Firstly was it an administration fee from evans halshaw or was it an administration fee on the finance?

A big difference and the latter is very common.
    Not heard of Evans halshaw charging administration fees; although; it could be another fee you have misunderstood such as registration or tax.

The bit about end of quarter is a red herring; Car dealers always want to sell and you wont get a better deal at any different time; its all down to how you negotiate.

Evans halshaw tried to charge me this fee when considering to buy a car from them a couple of weeks ago.
    They informed me it was for a hpi check on my vehicle and as they insulted me with an insane offer for my part exchange said they would waiver the charge if i bought the car there and then even though i was paying by cash in full???.
    I just walked away.
    EX POSTIE.
  • Same as "booking" fees on a mortgage. Utter cobblers but largely unavoidable. Just factor them into the total cost.
  • Same when it used to read on your debit card docket from the supermarket... "2.5% will go to xyz supermarket card services ltd for handling this transaction"

Just tax dodging b*ll*x ;)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport