free bus pass and rail pass??

hi, am i entitled to a free bus pass and rail card?? i am getting IB,DLA.i have a disabled badge. thankyou.:o

Comments

• daska
    daska Posts: 6,212 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    I think the simple answer is 'no'. There is a disabled rail card that you can apply for, you pay a yearly fee and get a percentage off your fares. Otherwise there might be local schemes that you qualify for?
    Eat food. Not too much. Mostly plants - Michael Pollan
    48 down, 22 to go
    Low carb, low oxalate Primal + dairy
    From size 24 to 16 and now stuck...
  • I believe the ruling with regard to the free bus pass is that you have to be medically unfit to drive before it is awarded. As the criteria for these things are generally set by each County Council, it would be worth giving them a call next week.
    s/e
  • THANKYOU,i will look into it.
  • Bus pass you have to recieve DLA mobility component, but there usage restictions
  • hilstep2000
    hilstep2000 Posts: 3,089 Forumite
    I've got a blue badge and a free bus pass! I just took my DLA letter to the local information centre, and was issued with one. I have a rail pass too, but that cost me £48 for 3 years. Worth it if you use the train a lot.
    You can also get a cinema pass for £5 which enables yu to two for one entry (carer gets in free).
    Go to http://www.ceacard.co.uk
    I Believe in saving money!!!:T
    A Bargain is only a bargain if you need it!

• McKneff
    McKneff Posts: 38,819 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    My husband at 57 got a bus pass from our council when he was just getting long term incapacity benefit. No other criteria was required.

Now he is 64 i have been added on to his bus pass as a companion (C) as he needs help. i am not 60 yet and will get a bus pass in my own right in Ocober
    make the most of it, we are only here for the weekend.
    and we will never, ever return.
  • daska
    daska Posts: 6,212 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    daska wrote: »
    I think the simple answer is 'no'. There is a disabled rail card that you can apply for, you pay a yearly fee and get a percentage off your fares. Otherwise there might be local schemes that you qualify for?

Apologies I should have been clearer - there is no single 'bus pass' that you can apply for as all councils are free to set their own requirements for eligibility. You are best off contacting your local council to see if they do run a subsidised scheme that you can take advantage of.

Also, are you confined to a wheelchair, if so you can get 50% off rail fares if you stay in your chair throughout the journey. But how that is applied is very dependent on the rail company.
    Eat food. Not too much. Mostly plants - Michael Pollan
    48 down, 22 to go
    Low carb, low oxalate Primal + dairy
    From size 24 to 16 and now stuck...
  • ladylumps45
    ladylumps45 Posts: 617 Forumite
    i do use a wheelchair,yes.i didnt realise that info centres gace them out.i get dla care middle rate and high mobility. if i ring my local council they may be able to tell me their criteria for the bus pass.thankyou.
  • pipkin71
    pipkin71 Posts: 21,821 Forumite
    I have a free travel pass issued by our bus company which I can use after 9.30am. I would say each bus company would have it's own rules on a disabled travel pass so it's worth approaching them / looking on their website for details :)
    There is something delicious about writing the first words of a story. You never quite know where they'll take you - Beatrix Potter
  • pondie1
    pondie1 Posts: 1,704 Forumite
    First Anniversary
    hi, am i entitled to a free bus pass and rail card?? i am getting IB,DLA.i have a disabled badge. thankyou.:o
    our local council allows either a bus or disabled railcard
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport