Poor fuel consumption on a new Kia Rio diesel

Hi,
I have a new Kia Rio 1.5 diesel. It has done 2,000 miles and yet I am only getting an mpg of less than 50mpg. I live in quite a rural area but predominently A roads and have been driving sensibly, and not in a city/town.

The quoted Urban (cold) mpg is 52.3, and the combined 62.8.

Is it worth a call to the garage or is this just the norm. I know I can't expect to get the quoted figures but expected to get somewhere near the combined figure, not less than the Urban one!

Comments

• thescouselander
    thescouselander Posts: 5,542 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Are your tyres at the correct pressure?
  • ItsOnlyMe_2
    ItsOnlyMe_2 Posts: 52 Forumite
    yeah I have checked tyre pressure and it is ok.
  • thescouselander
    thescouselander Posts: 5,542 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    The only other thin I can think of is binding brakes although I would be surprised if this happened on a new car.

It could be that you need to wait for the car to run in a bit and loosen up - its possible you might see the MPG improve with more miles. It could be worth asking the dealer about it anyway.
  • ItsOnlyMe_2
    yeah I will maybe go along and see what they say about it just don't want them to look at it and then charge me anything!

I was unsure whether the running in argument was a myth or not.
  • Crabman
    Crabman Posts: 9,943 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker Intrepid Forum Explorer
    ItsOnlyMe wrote: »
    yeah I will maybe go along and see what they say about it just don't want them to look at it and then charge me anything!
    I'd think as it's a new car (thus under warranty ;)) you shouldn't be charged anything full stop!
  • Inactive
    Inactive Posts: 14,509 Forumite
    It could possibly be because the engine is still tight at 2000 miles.;)
  • leehal
    leehal Posts: 161 Forumite
    In my experience from owning several diesels over the years you won't really notice anywhere near the quoted figures until 10,000 miles - I would also take the official figures with a pinch of salt. Again from my experience I would knock around 10% of those.
  • Hintza
    Hintza Posts: 19,420 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker
    I agree with the last two comments. Get some more miles under your belt.

How are yoy calculating mpg? On board computter or pencil and paper after a fill up?

If not the later fill car drive till you need to fill up and do your calculations then.

With my heavy foot if I get within 20% of quoted figures I would be over the moon...;)
  • ItsOnlyMe_2
    Thanks for replies.
    You seem to have cleared up that 'new car requiring run in' is not a myth, which I thought with modern technology was no longer required.

pen and paper method for calculating mpg as it has no computer
  • Keith
    Keith Posts: 2,924 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Remember the quoted figures are gained under test conditions, not in real world driving.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure