Staffordshire Bull Terrier leg/joint problems

Our staffie has had a dody leg for a while now, but it comes and goes which is why we haven't gotten round to taking her to the vet.

It's mainly after a run which is a shame as she is obsessed with balls. But sometimes she yelps and then holds one leg up for a while, but it always goes in a day or so.

But recently she just seems more stiff in her back legs. She's only 3.

If we do take her to the vet, is there anything that he is likely to be able to give her or will she just have to put up with it?

I know people will tell me to take her to the vet, but like I said, it's not all the time and she seems happy enough, even when she is holding the leg up. She can still get onto her bed on the sofa all the time.

Is this a common problem in staffs as I've never heard of it in them before.
Pink Sproglettes born 2008 and 2010
Mortgages (End 2017) - £180,235.03
(End 2021) - £131,215.25 DID IT!!!
(End 2022) - Target £116,213.81

Comments

• getcarter
    getcarter Posts: 898 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Take the dog to the vets, my staffy does this and after investigating a problem with her patella, the vets have now found out that the cruciate ligament is the problem. She does not need an operation but does need management, it's better to know!
  • undaunted
    undaunted Posts: 1,870 Forumite
    Our staffie has had a dody leg for a while now, but it comes and goes which is why we haven't gotten round to taking her to the vet.

It's mainly after a run which is a shame as she is obsessed with balls. But sometimes she yelps and then holds one leg up for a while, but it always goes in a day or so.

But recently she just seems more stiff in her back legs. She's only 3.

If we do take her to the vet, is there anything that he is likely to be able to give her or will she just have to put up with it?

I know people will tell me to take her to the vet, but like I said, it's not all the time and she seems happy enough, even when she is holding the leg up. She can still get onto her bed on the sofa all the time.

Is this a common problem in staffs as I've never heard of it in them before.

:( Your dog is yelping and holding her leg up because she's in pain, intermittently or not!

There are a variety of things which could cause this kind of problem an in turn a variety of things (some very inexpensive) which he / she will be able to give, do or suggest dependant upon the exact cause of this intermittent lameness which will hopefully end that pain.

Please, rather than let her suffer any further painful days ring your vet today and make an appointment asap in order to get a proper diagnosis & suitable treatment underway. :)
  • get her to the vets - supplements may be a good idea - my dog is on glucosamine and fish oil and her occasional stiff hip has completely cleared up!
  • pollyanna24
    pollyanna24 Posts: 4,370 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Rightie ho, will make an appointment. Although I will watch her for a bit first. I did get as far as ringing up and making an appointment a month or so ago, but they were busy on a Saturday morning.

Thanks guys.
    Pink Sproglettes born 2008 and 2010
    Mortgages (End 2017) - £180,235.03
    (End 2021) - £131,215.25 DID IT!!!
    (End 2022) - Target £116,213.81
  • Rev
    Rev Posts: 3,150 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Although I will watch her for a bit first.

If it hasn't righted itself in the 'while' you've been watching her, I doubt it's going to now. Get her to the vets and figure out why the poor mite is in pain.
    Sigless
  • elsien
    elsien Posts: 32,672 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Could be any of a number of things, so best to get it checked. She won't have to just put up with it - even if they're not sure what it is to start with, you can still get doggie painkillers. (Bet you wouldn't do without your paracetamol etc if you were in pain, so why should she?)
    I don't know about staffies as a breed, but mine which is an English bull terrier has quite a high pain threshold (vet calls her brave, I'm working on the "where there's no sense theory"). Which basically means when she starts to limp, it blooming hurts, where another dog might have been limping and yelping a lot sooner. So your dog might be having more difficulty than you realise, but is taking longer to show it.
    All shall be well, and all shall be well, and all manner of things shall be well.

Pedant alert - it's could have, not could of.
  • Might be a good time to start giving your dog Glucosamine (with contrition and MSM). Many breeds would benefit from it at an early age as a preventative measure
  • candygirl
    candygirl Posts: 29,455 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Awwww get her to the vets hun, we all need to look after our staffy babies:D:DHope she's ok soon:A:A
    "You can't stop the waves, but you can learn to surf"

(Kabat-Zinn 2004):D:D:D
  • ali-t
    ali-t Posts: 3,815 Forumite
    Staffies can be prone to luxating patellas, mine had a problem with this and required an op to fix it. If this is the problem and you don't get it looked at and fixed it can lead to arthritis which will be painful fo your dog and can't be fixed with an op. If there is a patella problem the vet may suggest exercise like swimming to build up the muscle around the leg to prevent the patella slipping.
    If you always do what you have always done, you will always get what you always got!
  • undaunted
    undaunted Posts: 1,870 Forumite
    Rightie ho, will make an appointment. Although I will watch her for a bit first. I did get as far as ringing up and making an appointment a month or so ago, but they were busy on a Saturday morning.

Thanks guys.

:huh: As you've already watched her for "a while" (apparently at least a month) can I ask what it is that puts you off making the appointment?

If you can only go on a Saturday or in an evening surely ringing now would enable you to book an appointment in advance rather than let another month pass & still have the same problems & no appointment?

Alternatively is there another vet you could make an appointment with or someone who would take your dog in for you?

If money is an issue is there a PDSA, Blue Cross, RSPCA etc in the area who may be able to help. Alternatively try contacting the Tailwaggers Trust.

Whatever the issue please don't just rely on supplements without getting a proper diagnosis - they may be all you need but hydrotherapy, accupuncture / physio, medications & even surgery may be other possibilities dependant upon exactly what it is that the vet finds. Hope it proves something more minor. Let us know how you get on :)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure