PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Breadmaking - recipes, hints, tips, questions

Comments

• taplady
    taplady Posts: 7,184 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    I have just bought my first breadmaker on Ebay and am very excited waiting for it to arrive! thanks for all the tips ! I cant wait toproduce my first loaf!!!!
    Do what you love :happyhear
  • Allexie
    Allexie Posts: 3,460 Forumite
    I've just acquired a new, (to me;) ), breadmaker today :j

Its a Morphy Richards 48220 and it's a beast! I had no idea they were so big! Fortunately the manual was with it and also a cup-size measuring thingy but I think there should also be another measuring thingy (tsp?). Can anyone tell me...is this just a standard tsp measure or is it a 'special' one?

Also, (really blonde questions coming up cos I'm a bit intimidated by the manual!), is it right that you just chuck all the ingredients in the pan? And then what...do you have to mix them at all yourself? And when you use the timer thingy is the water/flour/yeast etc happy to just sit there for hours til things start to happen. The manual says something about keeping the yeast away from the liquid...but how on earth do you manage to do that?

I can see a steep learning curve ahead....good grief, becoming a breadmaker-owner is a bit like entering a parallel universe!!
    ♥♥♥ Genius - 1% inspiration and 99% doing what your mother told you. ♥♥♥

• squeaky
    squeaky Posts: 14,129 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker
    Allexie wrote:

Its a Morphy Richards 48220 and it's a beast! I had no idea they were so big! Fortunately the manual was with it and also a cup-size measuring thingy but I think there should also be another measuring thingy (tsp?). Can anyone tell me...is this just a standard tsp measure or is it a 'special' one?

I'd bet on it being a standard (5ml) teaspoon measure.

Also, (really blonde questions coming up cos I'm a bit intimidated by the manual!), is it right that you just chuck all the ingredients in the pan? And then what...do you have to mix them at all yourself? And when you use the timer thingy is the water/flour/yeast etc happy to just sit there for hours til things start to happen. The manual says something about keeping the yeast away from the liquid...but how on earth do you manage to do that?

I can see a steep learning curve ahead....good grief, becoming a breadmaker-owner is a bit like entering a parallel universe!!
    Yes just chuck everything in and then turn it on :)

Using the timer... usually you are asked to keep the yeast and the salt separate because the salt kills off the yeast...

..anyway - some machines are liquids first and others are flour first.

For liquids first - add your layer of flour on top of the water and sit the yeast and the salt in different places on the flour (not forgetting any other ingredients, of course :))

For flour first - then you'd best put your yeast in quite early. :)
    Hi, I'm a Board Guide on the Old Style and the Consumer Rights boards which means I'm a volunteer to help the boards run smoothly and can move and merge posts there. Board guides are not moderators and don't read every post. If you spot an inappropriate or illegal post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. It is not part of my role to deal with reportable posts. Any views are mine and are not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
    Never ascribe to malice that which is adequately explained by incompetence.
    DTFAC: Y.T.D = £5.20 Apr £0.50
  • Allexie
    Allexie Posts: 3,460 Forumite
    squeaky wrote:
    Yes just chuck everything in and then turn it on :)

Using the timer... usually you are asked to keep the yeast and the salt separate because the salt kills off the yeast...

..anyway - some machines are liquids first and others are flour first.

For liquids first - add your layer of flour on top of the water and sit the yeast and the salt in different places on the flour (not forgetting any other ingredients, of course :))

For flour first - then you'd best put your yeast in quite early. :)

Thanks squeaks! Why couldn't the manual 'splain it like that :confused:
    ♥♥♥ Genius - 1% inspiration and 99% doing what your mother told you. ♥♥♥

• squeaky
    First Post Combo Breaker
    Dunno miss. I've spent my life (it feels like) explaining manuals. Maybe I should have got a job as a technical writer :)
    Hi, I'm a Board Guide on the Old Style and the Consumer Rights boards which means I'm a volunteer to help the boards run smoothly and can move and merge posts there. Board guides are not moderators and don't read every post. If you spot an inappropriate or illegal post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. It is not part of my role to deal with reportable posts. Any views are mine and are not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
  • Allexie wrote:

Buy yourself the VITAL Breadmix .. from LIDL ... makes 2 breads ...
    ALL is in ...
    Works every time ...
    costs 89 pence per Kg (hence 2 breads!)

&…is even VERY healthy .. (looking @ the ingredients )

People will believe 'YOU are in the KNOW' ... / tastes and looks so GOOD
    (or the mother/father of 'Jamie'..or some other fine dining geek ...)

Good luck ...

(P.S:this is our 15 year home breadmaker experience .. )

Open recipes work ... sometimes ...

The LIDL one ... is for the 'journal of reproducible results'
  • Quick question - I always sift my bread before adding it to the breadmaker but is this really neccessary do you think?
  • Would having the kitchen door open a little (to the outside that is) have any effect on the bread baking correctly (ANOTHER sunken loaf!)
    If I screw my eyes up tight I can just about see where you're coming from
  • squeaky
    First Post Combo Breaker
    Ruby - I've never sifted flour.

Tom - ambient temperatures can make a difference to bread, so a draught from a door (if the breadmaker is in line) might possibly do that.

Otherwise you could do what I do with mine which is ignore the programs!

I set it to make dough. Then I set the kitchen timer for two hours and take a look at how much the bread has risen. If it needs to rise longer I set the timer to quarter hour intervals until the bread is high enough. Then I set the machine to bake. A bit of a pain but you get to know the minimum time a loaf needs and adjust your own timings accordingly.

Sometimes a loaf is WELL up in two hours, yet the next, from the same packet of yeast sachets, will take considerably longer. The only way I've found to beat these variations is to use the technique outlined above.
  • Thanks, but it is rising well, then it sinks as it bakes - I'm beginning to get very disilliusioned with it!
    If I screw my eyes up tight I can just about see where you're coming from
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.8K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.5K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.9K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.5K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.9K Life & Family
  • 247.6K Travel & Transport