Free bus and rail travel for the oldies from next April ??

Comments

• I have a free bus pass for Cornwall, but have not had any information from anyone on applying for the national one. Any info. gratefully received.
  • anniewoo
    anniewoo Posts: 469 Forumite
    I got my first over 60's bus pass a few weeks ago and the lady said that she wasn't sure yet what would happen in April 08,whether everyone would stick with the passes they had now or whether we would all be issued with new ones.

She said if they were to change,everyone who is on their records as having a pass at the moment would be contacted to go and get a new one.
  • feijoa
    feijoa Posts: 41 Forumite
    Over 60s will be able to enjoy free off-peak bus travel anywhere in England from April next year - says Alistair Darling. Excellent - but how will this affect people like us, who live just south of the Scottish Border? Much of our travel - shopping, outings etc, currently done by car - involves going into Scotland as well as here in Northumberland. I would love to use the bus instead, where possible. However, Scotland has had its own separate pensioners' free travel scheme for some time. Will pensioners from south of the Border be able to get free off-peak travel in Scotland as well - or must you be resident in Scotland for this to apply? Anyone know?
    if i had known then what i know now
  • lizc
    lizc Posts: 8 Forumite
    In Sheffield I get a pass that lets me use buses, trains and the tram withing South Yorkshire free, plus small charges for neighbouring areas. I'm wondering, if the new national pass is only for buses, whether we're likely to lose free travel on trains and trams, or will local councils be able to have their own arrangements in addition to the national one?
    Liz
  • feijoa
    feijoa Posts: 41 Forumite
    ...and the obvious corollary to my query above, re free off-peak bus travel in Scotland for residents in England - will those living in Scotland, who already qualify for free bus travel there, also be able to have free off-peak bus travel throughout England? Unless I missed something, I don't think this was made clear in the pre-budget speech or in Ruth Kelly's earlier statement. Need to know!
    if i had known then what i know now
  • annamac1 wrote: »
    Can you get a discount on public transport travel on the continent (France and/or Spain) when in receipt of e.g. an Invalidity Pension? My FIL asked this question the other day, a carrot possibly to persuade him to travel with us next time....
    Any information links would be appreciated. Sorry, but thhis may be the wrong thread to post this question.

These services are incredibly cheap in Spain anyway.
    (AKA HRH_MUngo)
    Member #10 of £2 savers club
    Imagine someone holding forth on biology whose only knowledge of the subject is the Book of British Birds, and you have a rough idea of what it feels like to read Richard Dawkins on theology: Terry Eagleton
  • C_Ronaldo
    C_Ronaldo Posts: 4,732
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite
    The bus services are cheap in france, italy and spain not sure on other EU countries, the ones ive used have been cheap but it could be a different story in other cities
    No Links in Signature by site rules - MSE Forum Team 2
  • LimeLight
    LimeLight Posts: 8,038
    First Anniversary First Post
    Forumite
    The new national passes for elderly and disabled people will come out next April.

Local authorities will keep their existing free travel arrangements, but they will be available to use on all english local buses between the times of 9am and 11pm.

I'll get the link when i get home tonight.
    just passing through.... Nothing to see....
  • LimeLight
    LimeLight Posts: 8,038
    First Anniversary First Post
    Forumite
    Details on here!
    just passing through.... Nothing to see....
  • Farway
    Farway Posts: 13,120
    Homepage Hero First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    Forumite
    Thanks for link

Not keen on the "The new passes will also incorporate ITSO 'smartcard' technology to boost the roll out of 'smart ticketing'. This will help minimise fraud and ensure that the number of journeys made by pass-holders are accurately recorded for reimbursement purposes between local authorities and bus operators"

Smart card ITSO will also allow spooks and any Government agency to track all your travel, do you really want this? What price freedom?

http://www.no2id.net/news/newsletters/newsletter.php?issue=82
    Eight out of ten owners who expressed a preference said their cats preferred other peoples gardens
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure