£2,900 for acrylic worktop 4.8m length

Moved house, and kitchen is over 20 years old and filthy (e.g. worktop is nailed on at the back with nails showing!)

So need a new worktop and kitchen.

Length is 4.8m for worktop and I'm trying to not have any nasty joins that will collect dirt for the next 10 - 15 years.

We've been quoted £2900 :eek: for an acrylic worktop, including fitting and cutouts for sink and hob.

Seems really expensive to me.

Is there any other way of getting a worktop without the joins?
I'm not bothered about the material, as long as it's hardwearing and a light colour. Just don't want the dirt in the joins as I do a lot of cooking.

Any suggestions?
Is this quote reasonable?

Comments

• Herongull
    Herongull Posts: 1,356
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    Acrylic worktops cost a few hundred pounds.

Then there is the labor to fit it, say £100 max?

So £500 absolute tops. You should be able to get done for much less than £500.

I think the quote you got is either a typo or someone's idea of a joke:eek:
  • i think they are pricing on something like Corian & this is quite expensive, you will normally still have joins (you aren't going to get the whole kitchen done in one piece), if you get a good fitter he will cut normal worktops with mason's mitres in the corners & these won't show too much & aren't dirt traps
    I'm only here while I wait for Corrie to start.

You get no BS from me & if I think you are wrong I WILL tell you.
  • phill99
    phill99 Posts: 9,094
    First Anniversary First Post
    Forumite
    Southcoastrgi is correct. If you get a decent fitter, you won't notice the masons mitres. Mine has been in 20 years and stlll good. If you identifywheteyou are based, another poster maybe able to recommend someone for you.
    Eat vegetables and fear no creditors, rather than eat duck and hide.
  • plumb1_2
    plumb1_2 Posts: 4,395
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Forumite
    Corian is about £300 a meter, any joints are vertualy invisable
  • phill99 wrote: »
    Southcoastrgi is correct. If you get a decent fitter, you won't notice the masons mitres. Mine has been in 20 years and stlll good. If you identifywheteyou are based, another poster maybe able to recommend someone for you.

Unfortunately, joins are not on corners. Have a straight run of worktop of 4.8m now the back door has been taken out.
  • I got a 4m continous length of solid wood worktop.
    could that work with the fridge/freezer next to it, that would take you to 4.6ish
  • YOu will need a straight joint but as already stated these are virtually invisible. I normally supply Mistral worktops which are a 25mm solid surface. They do not have and wood substrate so imo much better than most. Price would be £1500 or under with the right worktop
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure