how long were you comping before winning anything?

Comments

• I started in January entering for EVERYTHING, i got my first win after about 10 days, which was a food face plate!!!
    I now go by date, like all the ones ending tomorrow and enter that way as i don't have as much free time with the little ones unless they are in bed early..... after the food plate win i won a all inclusive holiday to Jamaica with the Daily Mail, its a dream holiday for me and the hubby and something we wouldn't have been able to do until the little ones reach 18, also won a HTC with £270 vodafone credit and Graco Travel system...... i know that these were all very popular competitions and would have recieved 100's of entrys, so its just luck of the draw.

Not won anything in May or June, but the wins i have won i cant grumble.
  • marleyboy
    marleyboy Posts: 16,698 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker
    It took me a good two Years for my first win, I generally never win but the onus is on me to keep entering. I never expect to win anything, that way I am not left disappointed when someone else has won, should I be lucky enough to win, it comes as a nice surprise for me.

As boring and frustrating as it sounds, you have to be in it to win it. The more comps you enter, the better your chances of winning something. Its pot luck and completely random whether or not you are picked as a winner, the odds will always be stacked against you, but someone, somewhere is bound to win so long as they entered.
    :A:dance:1+1+1=1:dance::A
    "Marleyboy you are a legend!"
    MarleyBoy "You are the Greatest"
    Marleyboy You Are A Legend!
    Marleyboy speaks sense
    marleyboy (total legend)
    Marleyboy - You are, indeed, a legend.
  • marleyboy wrote: »
    It took me a good two Years for my first win, I generally never win but the onus is on me to keep entering. I never expect to win anything, that way I am not left disappointed when someone else has won, should I be lucky enough to win, it comes as a nice surprise for me.

As boring and frustrating as it sounds, you have to be in it to win it. The more comps you enter, the better your chances of winning something. Its pot luck and completely random whether or not you are picked as a winner, the odds will always be stacked against you, but someone, somewhere is bound to win so long as they entered.

I dont expect to win anything either which is why Im curious as to why enter all these comps? For now I have nothing better to do so will carry on, also now Ive started I do think maybe one day I just might.

Im glad I started this conversation now as it has really given me a bit of reason to go on. Thanks again everyone for replying to me :D
    Current Aims: Laptop/PC, decent money, holiday
    Best Wins: Ipad, Nintendo 3DS, £400 Shopping Spree at LK Bennett, £100 Boots vouchers
    Total Wins (Since April 2012) £3442.56
    Big thanks to all who post comps :T:beer:
  • marleyboy
    marleyboy Posts: 16,698 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker
    Good Luck OP - fingers crossed the next post I send might be Congratulations OP. ;)
    :A:dance:1+1+1=1:dance::A
    "Marleyboy you are a legend!"
    MarleyBoy "You are the Greatest"
    Marleyboy You Are A Legend!
    Marleyboy speaks sense
    marleyboy (total legend)
    Marleyboy - You are, indeed, a legend.
  • System
    System Posts: 178,093 Community Admin
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    I also enter 50-100 comps per day, but I will do it consistently for a few months and then take a break for a few months. I have won some bits and pieces over this time (nothing REALLY big) but it usually takes at least a month of comping before I win anything, often because some of the comps run for several weeks.

When I first started comping I was keeping track of what I entered and I was averaging one win per 1,000 comps but others may have better or worse luck. I don't keep track anymore.

I really think you have to enjoy comping and treat it as a hobby. The wins are just a bonus to an enjoyable past-time.

Good luck!
  • ikkle87
    ikkle87 Posts: 8,449 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    How are you entering them hun, do you do them as they are added or by ending date or do you just pick the odd few that you like? If you've only really been comping properly since Sunday (ie using MSE) then baring in mind Monday and Tuesday were bank holidays then you probably wouldn't have heard anything anyway.

When I first started comping a few years back I think I waited about 3 weeks before I got a win, was just something small but spurred me on and then I got hooked. I've recently started comping again this month and am up to the 10th of June because I do comps a few days in advance, then I do dailies etc too. Whilst I've not had a win yet from this time around I'm not surprised really as it's been Jubilee weekend and I know some comps take ages to send prizes out anyway. I once received a prize in November when the comp had ended in March!

Just keep at it hun you will get there x
    You never know how strong you are until being strong is the only choice you have.

xx Mama to a gorgeous Cranio Baby xx
  • bellybee
    bellybee Posts: 83 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    I was really lucky as I started comping in Feb and won my first prize in April but it was a biggie to me it was an amazon kindle and I love it so much. I have since won around £815 worth of prizes all told. If I average my comps out I probably only do 5-10 a day and dont spend long on it (I have a kindle to read) but I do enjoy it and dont expect to win and my fave wins are littlle things like a mascara etc
    Total value of wins in 2013- £58, best prize ever was a Kindle
    Wins in 2013 - Emma Bridgewater mugs, last resort DVD
  • Im entering them as they come up. I will come on here in the morning after lunch and again for a bit longer once the kids are in bed. I realise that there are a lot that are still to finish. I think its the glamour comp that had me feeling a bit low with it because each day there were varying amounts of prizes and not just 10 or 20, but hundreds and I convinced myself that surely I will get something there and I got nothing. I am new to this and realise now that I wasn't the only one.

I dont not like entering competitions, but a small win would help. This thread really has filled my confidence up and made me want to enter more. I really dont mean to come accross as "I-should-have-won-something-by-now" cos I really am not thinking that, I was just wondering how often and how quick people actually won things. you can start off doing this thinking Im going to enter hundreds and will win a few things, but the reality is just kicking in that it doesn't really work like that. Ive got my head around that now, but its just beginners feelings Ive had here today.
    Current Aims: Laptop/PC, decent money, holiday
    Best Wins: Ipad, Nintendo 3DS, £400 Shopping Spree at LK Bennett, £100 Boots vouchers
    Total Wins (Since April 2012) £3442.56
    Big thanks to all who post comps :T:beer:
  • joanne95
    joanne95 Posts: 497 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    I started comping at the end of July 2010 and won my first prize (a years supply of coffee and 2 dining chairs) within a week. I had followed all the guidance given on the boards and was entering at least 150 a day and entering by end date so I didn't have to wait long to find out about the comps I'd entered.

I am addicted to entering competitions and I spend all my spare time doing it. I've won some amazing prizes over the last couple of years but it's definitely the small wins that keep me going.

I agree with another comment that the reason for entering is the buzz and excitement if what is around the corner. I always feel really positive and just think that if I put the effort in then it will pay off.

Twitter has really boosted my comp wins and it is so quick and easy to enter on there that it doesn't take up too much time. I do some comping on Facebook but not too much as I don't like to bother my friends with all the sharing.

Good luck. I'm sure the wins will come if you keep at it. ;)
    :AThanks to all those who post comps:A
  • StokieBecks
    StokieBecks Posts: 4,997 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic First Post Xmas Saver!
    Im entering them as they come up. I will come on here in the morning after lunch and again for a bit longer once the kids are in bed. I realise that there are a lot that are still to finish. I think its the glamour comp that had me feeling a bit low with it because each day there were varying amounts of prizes and not just 10 or 20, but hundreds and I convinced myself that surely I will get something there and I got nothing. I am new to this and realise now that I wasn't the only one.

I dont not like entering competitions, but a small win would help. This thread really has filled my confidence up and made me want to enter more. I really dont mean to come accross as "I-should-have-won-something-by-now" cos I really am not thinking that, I was just wondering how often and how quick people actually won things. you can start off doing this thinking Im going to enter hundreds and will win a few things, but the reality is just kicking in that it doesn't really work like that. Ive got my head around that now, but its just beginners feelings Ive had here today.

If you are doing them as they come on you are probably missing alot that you might like to enter. The board has hundreds of pages of comps that are all still active. if you are serious about comping you may want to work your way through some of these pages as well as just the new ones.

I do this by sorting the posts by end date. I choose sort by tread title and then ascending if i am still early in the month and from beginning and work my way through those ending soonest to those ending at a later day.

always use the thanks and enter buttons to show what ones you have already entered so you sont duplicate yourself.

I then every day sort the board in same way but by selectong posts only from last day or two so i cancatch up on any new posts
    £2 Savers Club for 2022 #12
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport