energyplus Argos by Scottish Hydro

Comments

• We spend alot of money on our gas and electric every month and have just checked points on card and was disapointed with only £1 left on it.
    I've spent the money on my card in little bits and I've just rung up to see when the next points are tobe added - they are added every 3 months on my account.
    Were spending around £200 a month on Swalec for gas and elec and in 14 months have recieved the amazing total of £57.18. Big deal!!!!
  • I have been with southern electric for 4 years.
    Always had the card never used it.
    The website is now finally up and running. It seems.
    But still... i cant get user id!
    Called southern electric. got two 9 digit customer numbers.
    Tried to login on enegery argos website. Said the both numbers were wrong!!
    Tried to call customer service. Queing for half an hour. Still no real person to speak to!!!
    Annoyed now.......esp when im doing all this just to try get 10% off a little 20 quid toaster:mad:
  • Vestra
    Vestra Posts: 856 Forumite
    I have been with southern electric for 4 years.
    Always had the card never used it.
    The website is now finally up and running. It seems.
    But still... i cant get user id!
    Called southern electric. got two 9 digit customer numbers.
    Tried to login on enegery argos website. Said the both numbers were wrong!!
    Tried to call customer service. Queing for half an hour. Still no real person to speak to!!!
    Annoyed now.......esp when im doing all this just to try get 10% off a little 20 quid toaster:mad:
    The 9 digit numbers are just your gas and electric customer account numbers, you need your membership number which the normal customer services probably won't know how to get! Try calling their sales line on 0800 117 116, I bet you won't queue too long with it being a sales number!
  • Iliketoknow
    Iliketoknow Posts: 1 Newbie
    edited 6 October 2009 at 9:45PM
    After reading all this, I was pleasantly surprised when I went to get stuff from Homebase and got £15 off using my energyplus Argos card at the till. I did check my balance at their customer service desk first though. Like many others, I found the website wasn't going to help me. It wouldn't disclose my points balance and it would take 48hrs+ for credit to transfer.
  • I had a lot of trouble in the early stages with this site. It now seems to be working fine. To know what's in your card you really need to phone them or call into an Argos store to have your card read. It does always take a full 48 hours (weekdays only not including bank holidays)for your money to become available from when you put it in on the wesite. I recently got a full 10% discount on a laptop so I saved £40 using the card.

To access current card balances call 0845 6400881, with your card number to hand, and select option 2 straight away and you wil be asked for the card number. When you key in the card number the recorded voice gives your current balance and when it will next be updated.
  • Thyrsis
    Thyrsis Posts: 6 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    If I use my loyalty card in Boots the points go straight on my card. Same for Waitrose, Tesco, Nectar, etc, etc.

Why then does it take '3 to 6 months' for points to go on the Energyplus Argos card?

I had combined energy bills of over £800 in February and am apparently owed 8,700 points which I will not get until perhaps August.

This is one of the worst managed 'loyalty cards' I have come across! You can't even access your balance or expenditure online.
  • Tight.Fisted
    Tight.Fisted Posts: 1 Newbie
    edited 7 October 2010 at 1:19AM
    It's practically useless and not really worth a person's time and effort IMO.

I have found out that I have a massive £8.70 of value on my card after checking with the phone number and that is late in the year when I would of expected all my payments for gas/electric to amount to far more than that. So unless the earned points have expired at an unusual time of year, fairly recently then the amount that the 10 points per £1 spent on gas/electric must be practically worthless......they don't actually say what 10 points is equal to so it cannot be much. It must be less than the nectar conversion rate for Argos which is 500 points equals £2.50.
    [Just re-read the first post and seen that it's 500 points for £1 at Argos]

The website for energyplusargos, not the one it is meant to be, has what it claims to be discounts on Argos goods, claiming a 5% discount. But the prices are identical to the Argos prices! So absolutely no discount at all!

A real joke of a scheme and I will check whether there is any other energy supplier that I would be better off switching to and if so I will tell Southern Electric the reason why I switched!

I have utter contempt for companies that run these false schemes.

[EDIT] I have since noted that some of the items are discounted by 5% on the site, it was just the item that I was interested in that wasn't, even though it should be simply because it is listed. Typical!
  • jeffkey1
    jeffkey1 Posts: 35 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Just found by Energyplus Card. Given the comments above I thought I would check the terms and conditions and see how much I'd earned.

Not having much of the original paper work I phoned the help number 0845 640 0881. They gave my the expiry date of the points and the balance.

Just to be clear....

"Any Points on the cards will expire on the 2nd Anniversary of joining the scheme".

P.S Nearly £50 after 18 Months so it was worth checking. Which I must spend by November.
  • Plushchris
    Plushchris Posts: 3,592 Forumite
    I dont understand why people get taken in by all this guff, why not sign up to the cheapest tariff available to you and spend the money you have saved in Argos (or wherever you like) instead?

You would probably have a lot more money than you could ever earn in argos points..
    Missing Tesco R&R since Feb '07 :A & now a "Tesco veteran" apparently! ;)
  • SWALEC sent out a leaflet - asking if customers wanted an electricity meter.

I rang up and asked what it did. The call centre employee said it was free and she would send me one.

What she didn't say was that she switched my account from an Argos points account (get around £60-£80 every year by Christmas.. so that's what SWALEC would have gained if I hadn't spotted it ) to another account.

I eventually noticed the different account on my bill and asked why I had been switched to this new account.

I got: 'It's all taped you know'. Thank goodness for that, as the tape proved that I had agreed to nothing of the sort.

Still fighting to get my account put back in order - around 10e-mails each now. And it would be a nice gesture if they could get my name right. 4/10 customer service - as they are just not very bright at sorting out the following mess up from their mistake.

I would suggest that if anyone received one of these meters to look at their account and find out if they've been switched too.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure