National Grid Gas Connection Quote

Hi

Currently have all electric and are having central heating put in. Requested an online quote from National Grid for the gas connection and they have come back with £612. Is this realistic, both our neighbours have gas and the length of land they would need to dig up is 4 meters and we have asked them to excavate and reinstate. Many thanks for you help.

Comments

• trogg
    trogg Posts: 107
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    Can't help you annettetabs, but I'm very interested in what the answer is too, I bought a property to renovate last year with no gas meter but there was gas to the property.
    Not long after, I got a letter saying that because the property had been empty for so long (20 years) They would have to disconnect the supply from the road.
    I explained that I had just bought the property and I would need a meter fitted,but they went ahead anyway and disconnected me :confused:

They say they can't use the original pipework so they will have to dig up the drive :mad:

Have tried to get a quote from elsewhere ?

http://www.nationalgrid.com/uk/Gas/Connections/CompetitiveQuotationForm/

Might be worth a try
  • kai666
    kai666 Posts: 1,429
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite
    In London I have been quoted £1070 by british gas, so £612 seems a bargain
  • bsg1
    bsg1 Posts: 3 Newbie
    edited 4 June 2009 at 7:57AM
    Hi

We were recently in the same position. There was a disconnected gas supply to the property and so we were told that a new pipe was needed. We were quoted a similar amount by National Grid and over £1500 by the suppliers who contacted in response to the form shown above.

We then got a quote from National Grid with our own excavations. I ended up saving over £300 by digging an 18" deep trench 4 meters long myself. Not a bad saving for a morning's work!

Hope this helps.
  • mishvw11
    mishvw11 Posts: 8 Forumite
    Hiya,

We have just bought an old 190's house with no gas and we were quoted approx £650 to dig up and install but changed our mind and got a friend to dig the hole saving £370! It only took him about 2 hours to do so well worth doing it yourself!

Be prepared to wait a while though, it has taken us about 4 weeks to finalise the quote (because we asked for a new one without the digging) and we have been given a connection date today for 5 weeks time.

:j
  • Pssst
    Pssst Posts: 4,803
    First Post First Anniversary
    Forumite
    Under the old British Gas Corporation,you would have got your gas service free of charge,but thats privatisation and competition.

If you see SID..tell him to FOAD
  • minibbb
    minibbb Posts: 342 Forumite
    Hi

Im in the process of obtaining a new gas supply to my flat. Currently there is no gas in the block whatsoever.

I have been quoted £398 to have a gas supply bought from 26m across the road (9m on public land, and 17m on the flat's front lawn). This price includes a semi concealed metre box installed in the flowerbed against the front of the building.

The quote was from SGN (Scotia Gas Networks) and seems like a bargain to me considering it includes excavations etc. Guess it depends on where you are in the country but im in Sussex- Normally very expensive!

Good luck!
  • Bexm
    Bexm Posts: 455
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite
    We were quoted nearly £3000 for a few meters.. but got a few quotes from different companies.

I can't rememeber who was the cheapest as we decided not to go ahead, but we got quotes from National Grid, and Fulcrum.. We called British Gas and they sorted out one of the quotes for us, but cant remember which..!

There was a HUGE difference between the quotes so make sure you get more than one.
  • Bexm
    Bexm Posts: 455
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite
    minibbb wrote: »
    Hi

Im in the process of obtaining a new gas supply to my flat. Currently there is no gas in the block whatsoever.

I have been quoted £398 to have a gas supply bought from 26m across the road (9m on public land, and 17m on the flat's front lawn). This price includes a semi concealed metre box installed in the flowerbed against the front of the building.

The quote was from SGN (Scotia Gas Networks) and seems like a bargain to me considering it includes excavations etc. Guess it depends on where you are in the country but im in Sussex- Normally very expensive!

Good luck!

Wow you are soo lucky!! We were still quoted a fortune when we said we'd dig our own trench across our garden!
  • annettetabs
    annettetabs Posts: 180 Forumite
    edited 22 July 2009 at 10:35AM
    Sorry its taken so long to update. £612 is standard price for our area with the work we require. National grid came last Wednesday and we now have a gas supply however we are still waiting as of today for them to reinstate the holes they have dug (one where our meter is, one on our side of the pavement, one on the pavement opposite (where the gas had to come from) and one in the middle of our road, luckily we are in a cul-de-sac, where they mole broke down that they were using and they had to dig it out)!! British Gas quoted us £720 including a meter and on the condition of moving our Electric and using them for Gas, we could have had a £400 rebate, but i passed on that lots of trouble with them as a supplier in the past. Eon have supplied our meter free of charge.

Timescale was online quote recieved 3 June, payment recevied by them 22 June - installation date 15 July - not too bad
  • dda_iawn
    dda_iawn Posts: 6 Forumite
    edited 4 November 2010 at 1:01PM
    I am going through this process now. It isn't as simple as I initially thought.

Here (I live in Warwickshire) you go to national grid to get a connection. Between accepting the quote and the surveyor arriving should take no more than 20 working days. Our front door is 12m from the street and they quoted £659.

Needless to say it has taken more than 20 working days for the surveyor to come. I only found out today that National Grid don't install meters so you need to go to a mains service provider to get them to install one. Normal civilians, gas safe or not, are not allowed to do this.

Npower will only proceed once they have the MPRN (meter reference point number). National grid won't give me this until they get the results of the survey. My understanding is that once you get the date of the proposed installation, you share this with your provider and they install the meter ideally the day after national grid do their digging and pipelaying.

Jiggling all of this with my plumber is making me think it'll be a month of Sundays before I get a warm house - currently it's just strorage heaters. Fingers crossed there's no snow on the way.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure