PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Decluttering 2012, this year, definitely ...

Comments

• Morning all

Another impromptu decluttering session last night. I gave myself 15 minutes in the kitchen which is where I have decided to concentrate my efforts and did the dreaded mug cupboard. I put aside 7 mugs and 2 espresso cups and saucers for Freecycle and chucked out some seriously OOD ground coffee that was in a jar. The cupboard was rearranged and now has space :j

I have an unused tin of white paint which will be collected by a Freecycler tomorrow. I have a toolkit to list on there now I have a pink toolbag (with pink tools) from Tesco :) as it's a bag it is taking up much less space than the box.

I also managed to up my total of books to give away to 20! so am nearly halfway to my target of 50. :j
  • mineallmine
    mineallmine Posts: 3,053 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Morning all,

Decided to do some pampering/relaxing decluttering so sat down, read 2 magazines cover to cover (taking a photo on my phone of any website/article they list that looks interesting) and used up a sample of Decleor facial oil. Very nice stuff but won't be buying toiletries for a while :)

So that's 3 things gone with quite little effort!! :)

56. 57. Magazines (recycled)
    58. Facial oil
    59. Mouthwash travel size. I don't know why I bought it as I hardly use mouthwash. So used it up instead of moving it from travel bag to travel bag.
    60. Packaging

Reading about your coffee machine happytails reminds me I've got a Krups/Nescafe one. I find the capsules a bit pricey so only have one every so often. I added hazelnut syrup to it the other day and I swear it was better than any coffee shop takeout :)

I haven't sewn for many years Loopychriss so it will probably be a festival of breaking needles! I was so chuffed as its something I've wanted to take up as a hobby but paying out £100 odd was a stretch too far if it was something I do once then never again.

Right a nice coffee and some flyladying and the declutter challenge.

:A
    :) Declutter 300 things in December challenge, 9/300. Clear the living room. Re-organize storage
    :cool2: Cherryprint: "More stuff = more stuff to tidy up!"
    Less things. Less stuff. More life.
    :heart: Fab thread: Long daily walks
  • mineallmine
    Here's a great video on YouTube Lilyplonk about decluttering/preparing to move :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LkTQT0pOXS8
    :) Declutter 300 things in December challenge, 9/300. Clear the living room. Re-organize storage
  • museumworker
    museumworker Posts: 2,240 Forumite
    Busy is not the word - so tired I am wired and can't sleep!

Decluttering continues at its own pace. Have taken 2 bags of stuff to charity now from previous declutters. Obviously giving me good charity karma as today I found lots of lovely clothes in the size I need for DS - 9mths+ - and also 2 gorgeous white company lambswool cushions for £1 the pair! Have come home and put three cushions from sofa into charity bag to make up for it. They go much better now :D.

Have been through my fabric stash and paired it down a bit, still lots left but getting more realistic about what will make.

7-9. cushions to charity
    10. fabric bits for recycling
    11 + 12. clothes from fabric pile for charity.
    13-15. large fabric curtains etc - will offer to a friend or give to charity.
    16-19. Books - charity
    21. Old diary - for shredding

The old diary was interesting. have been keeping it because it had numbers of people I had lost touch with, about 10 years ago. Decided to send some texts and heard back straight away, hoping to see them in January! Now I can get rid of the diary :D.
    Mortgage [STRIKE]16/03/2011: £190K 01/01/2017: £107,729.65 [/STRIKE] 01/07/2017: £95,979.89
    OPs 2011-2016 = £45K 2017 OPs = £9250.20
  • happytails
    happytails Posts: 1,554 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Afternoon.

All the cardboard from yesterdays deliveries in the tip now.
    5 bin bags to the tip (2 full of old wallpaper, 3 general rubbish and tat.
    Dropped off my auntie's Bday present today.
    Sold a pair of maternity trousers to a friend today, £5 to me :j

Hoping to get to the post office to post 4 Ebay parcels later. I tried to call in at my nan's to drop her Bday and Xmas present off as its her birthday Friday, but she wasnt in!

All thats come in today is.....35 cakes :) 30 are for the monthly sling meet i co host, its the Xmas meet so ive provided cake and my friend has done a big pass the parcel for the kids!! These will be back out tomorrow! Also the TENS machine and sling i borrowed off a friend, they will be going with me :) And not planning on bringing anything else in!!

Kitchen sides are tidy, the paperwork has been moved to the lounge to be dealt with and all the pots washed. I sorted out all the stuff on top of the cupboards that made it look cluttered. It actually looks really nice :T Just some more bits in the kitchen that need dealing with, the breakfast bar etc and the stuff on the windowsill but thats for another day xx
    DFW Total £21,800 to clear by Dec 2022
    MFW Total £184,950 £179,066 to clear by 2035
  • I am tired-er than a really tired person who has just been crowned Queen of the tired people!

Poor old hubby has been bedridden since Sunday so have been up and down stairs like a demented person! my knees think I hate them!! :rotfl: I threw the towel in and collapsed into bed at 10:30 last night, good job as hubby was ill through the night so was awake quite a bit.

Yesterday did a big clean up on the laundry front as had masses from hubby being much poorlier. All washed, dried and ironed :eek:

Today I have been cooking, made a huge load of stew for the freezer, got eight meals out of it so am chuffed with that. Kitchen all cleaned up too. Have found some fabric to make four new White tea-towels, just got to hem the edges. Shall try to do that tonight but will have to be by hand.

Tomorrow I shall be changing beds and hoovering, if my poor old knees will bear it.

Have thrown quite a bit of packaging away this week and have the RSPCA collecting on Friday so that will make a nice hole.

1 - big bag of card to recycling
    2 - airer - c/s
    3 - Big piece of fabric made into tea-towels

Well done everyone, keep it going:)
    Saving 1 animal wont change the world - but it will change the world for that 1 animal

Weight loss challenge 2024 - 1st quarter goal = 15/24lbs
    Pantry challenge 2024
    24 for 2024 challenge
    Prepping….the new world
    Make do, mend, minimise
  • mineallmine
    61. Unloved exfoliator. My skin came up in bumps after one use. Expensive mistake so it's off to a (friend)
    62. Hair accessory
    63. Recycling living in the kitchen, hanging around, annoying me.
    64. Advertising gumpth through the post quickly scanned and binned.
    65. Toiletry used up
    66. Packaging

It's trickling along slowly but surely.

Keep decluttering :A
  • Here's a great video on YouTube Lilyplonk about decluttering/preparing to move :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LkTQT0pOXS8
    Thanks for that - we've got our house up for sale so hopefully will be doing this in the near future.

Got loads of jobs ticked off 'the List' today.... not much decluttered, mostly stuff that was lying around waiting for something else to happen to them.

14. Collecting tin opened, money counted and bagged up, tin in recycling
    15. Cup cake taken to daughter's. Her boyfriend bought it for her Saturday night at the quiz night, but I somehow got to take it home. It's been sitting in the kitchen ever since. It's rock hard now, but at least it's gone back to its rightful owner!
    16. 6 blank cards made up into thank you cards

Jobs achieved:

Collecting tin counted, money bagged and receipt done
    Thank you cards made: one written, receipt done and delivered tonight
    2 posters printed out and laminated
    Sheet of photos for thank you cards printed and cut out
    Labels for back of cards printed out and cut out ready
    Curtain for door between garage and breakfast room finally hung up. Curtain had been lying on shelf in BR for about 5 weeks, and the hooks to hang it with about 3 weeks. Now curtain is up and hooks put away (and the room is much warmer!)
    Paid my visa card online
    Worked on a picture I'm giving as a Secret Santa at my quilt group

Gradually working through the To Do list.... as I do things are naturally being used up or put away where they should be, so although I'm not chucking stuff out the place is looking tidier.

Hope to achieve a couple more jobs tomorrow.... I'm going to have to tackle the Christmas cards soon!:D
    Keep Calm and Carry On Kondoing

• suzeesu - I haven't had a proper nights sleep in at least 5 months, so can I borrow the tired crown for a bit please :rotfl:!

happytails - interested in your sling meet. I carried DS a lot when he was tiny as he had such bad wind and was really unsettled. Used a wrap sling. However he is now ENORMOUS - probably about 19lb - and quite heavy to carry. What would you recommend? OH has a manduca but not tried it on me yet as looks a bit complicated to do up.

Rubbish day :( but friend came over and cooked me tea so that cheered me up no end.

22-25. Boxes of old Xmas cards I'll never reuse - friend
    26. Set of 7 vintage side plates - friend
    27-30. More books for charity shop.
    31. Empty box - recycling.
    32. Paper tut - recycling

Stuck my head in office of doom, and had a 10 minute session. Went under the loft and got out toys had been given 2 years ago by sis. Have massive box full of duplo things now for DS to play with (maybe 50 pieces?) and some other toys, made my day :).

To make my morning less stressful have laid out the breakfast things. Night all.
    Mortgage [STRIKE]16/03/2011: £190K 01/01/2017: £107,729.65 [/STRIKE] 01/07/2017: £95,979.89
    OPs 2011-2016 = £45K 2017 OPs = £9250.20
  • Lilyplonk
    Lilyplonk Posts: 1,145 Forumite
    :hello: morning everybody -

Flaming Norah - I can't sleep this morning, I've been up since silly o'clock! Visiting the flat yesterday has put my brain into so much of a spin that I'm having 'Dumbo-style' dreams - only difference is that mine involve packing boxes / sofas / staircases / freezers crowding me - instead of pink elephants :eek:.

Despite being told that it's 'ready to move into', it still needs a stairlift removing from the stairs - can barely step past it, let alone get furniture up the stairs :rotfl:.

I'll get my washing machine into the kitchen but not the Tumble Dryer - however there's an old 'hot water tank cupboard' with an unused electric point that just might house the TD - fingers crossed.

Only room for my fridge/freezer in the kitchen, but small verandah/porch has enough space (plus electric socket) to house my small chest freezer - will even take a 'midi size freezer' :j.

I'm afraid that no decluttering got done at all yesterday - apart from keeping on top of throwing out rubbish / recycling / food waste on a general basis - for me that's good :o!

It's good to see that the rest of you aren't letting the team down:

Sorry to hear about your mobile phone, happytails - I'm sure you can quite do without spending £70 on fixing it at this time of year :(. Enjoy your Christmas Meet with your sling club - sounds like a fun place for babies AND mums!

Thanks for the comment on Gumtree, fitness - maybe I'd be better using the local paper instead :unsure. I have the top shelf of a small wall cupboard for mugs (double/treble layered) with the lower shelf housing my herbs/spices and a couple of stray mugs. Those are going to have to be drastically culled as I've only got one double wall cupboard in this new place :eek: - think I'll start today by taking anything with advertising slogans on to the charity shop! Well done on parting with some books :T.

Wow, mineallmine - pampering AND decluttering all at the same time :rotfl: - now that is what I call multi-tasking :T. Thanks for sharing the videolink - I'd not seen any of hers before - doesn't she put us all to shame :o! But some great ideas on there - I had a look at some of her others as well :D.

Great cs find, museumworker - and well done on getting rid of equal number of items too :T! Great idea to set breakfast things out before going to bed - good start to next morning :D.

Good work suzeesu - hope your OH is feeling better soon. Your poor knees will be glad of the rest ;).

Congrats on finishing off some of your tasks, loopychriss :j - bet your BR feels much warmer now that you've insulated the garage door. In this house - open plan - it's the front door that lets all the cold air straight into the living room :eek:!

Oh well nearly time to go for a shower - use up some more shower gel and then there's yet another bottle to head for recycling :rotfl: - only another 10, or so, to go now :o!

Bye for now ladies - keep up the good work and I'll speak again later - Lilyplonk xxx
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.7K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure