Carpet fitting costs

2»

Comments

• McKneff wrote: »
    My OH and i went looking for some flooring, (wood or laminate) we found some we liked and asked for a fitting estimate.

We were absolutely horrified to be told it would be £10 a square metre to fit it. It seemed way over the top'
    Bearing in mind how may square yards a fitter could do in an hour he'd be on a pretty good hourly rate.
    And also bearing in mind we are laying over 30m2 it was more than we wanted to pay.

Strangely enough, the fitters only charge £2 a square metre for laying carpet.

We're going to do it ourselves, we did do a bedroom a while ago and made not too bad a job of it.

Yes about right and I'd even charge £12. I have £3000 of wood tools inc blades that need changing, a van to run and its a skilled job that can be hard work. 30 square metres can take 2 days, then theres all your furniture, chasing uou for money and doing my own paperwork plus getting rid of the offcuts and other rubbish all for a 25k average salary. what do you do for your money?
  • pka_2
    pka_2 Posts: 158 Forumite
    We've just had approx 45m2 including stairs and landing fitted for £143. This was just under £3 a meter with a £20 surcharge for the stairs
  • shegirl
    shegirl Posts: 10,107 Forumite
    I was quoted £78 to do my sons bedroom,30sqm.That was by carpetright though and they tend to be dearer.

I normally do them myself but because it's a stripey carpet I did consider getting it done,just incase I got it a little wonky which would be bloomin obvious!!!

Awaiting a quote for the stairs and landing atm
    If women are birds and freedom is flight are trapped women Dodos?
  • Daz2009
    Daz2009 Posts: 1,077 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    ormus wrote: »
    quick tip.
    goto any carpet shop at 8am. you will see the fitters loading up their vans. for the days work.
    ask them to come and see you & to quote you for the job.
    nearly all of them are self employed.

That's a good tip
    I had a local shop supply and fit my stair carpet and lounge and they did a really good job at a good price,a few years later I had the same shop back to do a bedroom,this time they sent a different fitter and he was a total bodger,badly cut,scratched the newly painted skirting etc so it pays to find a good fitter and use him rather than let the shop do it all.
    More recently I had my lounge done again this time a different shop and the fitter they sent was a sub-contractor and he did a perfect job,unfortunately I forgot ask for his phone number
  • With 35 yrs+ in the trade and yes it is a trade,it never ceases to amaze me the quibles on carpet fitting costs.Bear in mind that the fitter gets paid,usually,per sq.mtr,not for waiting for you to finish your cup of tea before he can move all the furniture that you advised the estimator,would be cleared.It can take just as long to fit a 5 sq.mtr. en-suite,as a 25 sq.mtr. lounge.
    If you want to reduce the cost,empty the room,make sure the floorboards are nailed or screwed down properly,avoiding water pipes and cables.etc.etc.Normally fitters don't mind doing the whole job,including easing doors but it is nice to get paid for your skill.Also bear in mind,it takes just as much effort to fit cheap as expensive carpet.
    As I used to do the estimates and all the fitting work for a large company,I found that what the client tells the estimator what he/she will do and what they actually do,are often two different things.
    Even had one who phoned the store complaining that the joins where coming apart and the carpet hadn't been laid very well,Very surprised customer when I turned up,again,and remembered I'd fitted the carpet in a different house.Only one of many stunts.
  • Leif
    Leif Posts: 3,727 Forumite
    Look around at local shops and take into account the total price. My fitting was 'free' i.e. included in the carpet price.I was expected to have the house completely clear. I looked at Carpet Right and a big furniture shop in Ash Vale, and they were all more expensive per square meter of carpet, and charged fitting on top. And the local shop used their own fitters, which I think is better.
    Warning: This forum may contain nuts.
  • Oli.s
    Oli.s Posts: 548 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    We've just had two flights of stairs, two turns I each flight and two landings done, 45m2, carpet and underlay. Took the fitter and his lad from 10 until 4 to do the underlay and carpet, but it was a thin striped carpet and he had to match it through the turns.

They then did the lounge which is pretty much just 20m2 and a square room in half an hour.

So I suppose the price for stairs depends on numerous factors. Flights, turns, carpet pattern etc.

Don't know how much because it was an insurance job.
  • Bought 27 square metres for a lounge yesterday fitting underlay / carpet is £55 all in.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure