PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Banoffee Pie

Comments

• Justamum
    Justamum Posts: 4,727 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    teacup wrote: »
    I know he said it is a brand new product from nestle,

I wonder why it's taken so long? It's been available for years in South Africa. So have 8 fingered KitKats!
  • Saw the tins of Carnation Caramel in Tesco's today at £1.69 a tin. On the shelf next to it was a chocolate version aswell also £1.69.
  • nikflo
    nikflo Posts: 504 Forumite
    thank for suggesting this i made a boniffee pie this afternoon, found the carmel ready made stuff very good. its in the fridge and dh can't wait to try it.
  • sillyvixen
    sillyvixen Posts: 3,614 Forumite
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    ready made caramel is the bestest invention ever. i have made bannoffi pie from scratch before but i find making caramel can be a bit hit and miss, i often go through 3 tins of condensed milk before i get it right and often ruin a pan in the process :confused::mad::confused: so the genious invevention of tins of ready made caramel are actually money saving:j thats my excuse anyway

who put unhappy face here it wasn't me!!!! shop bought caramel is cool
    Dogs return to eat their vomit, just as fools repeat their foolishness. There is no more hope for a fool than for someone who says, "i am really clever!"
  • Becles
    Becles Posts: 13,164 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Photogenic
    I tried the Nestle recipe but it went wrong. The caramel is still runny even though it's been in the fridge overnight.

I didn't have any Carnation, so I used a tin of Sainsburys evaported milk, as I though it was the same stuff. Is this what went wrong?
    Here I go again on my own....
  • Becles, you have to use condensed milk, not evaporated. Even though it is cheaper, evaporated milk is too liquid to make gooey enough caramel.
    "Don't cry, Don't Raise your Eye
    It's only teenage wasteland"
    The Who - Baba O'Riley
    Who's Next (1971)

RIP Keith Moon
    RIP John Entwistle
  • grimelda
    grimelda Posts: 320 Forumite
    Yes, evaporated milk has nowhere near the amount of sugar that condensed has and hence it won't turn into caramel. I actually have to opposite problem. In Sweden you can find condensed (or kondenserad) milk all over the place but never evaporated.

But now I am really hungry for banoffee pie. :(
    'Everyone loves to read but it can be a real nuisance when you lose your place. Here's a solution. When you finish reading a page, just tear it out. You'll save money on bookmarks too!' -- Amanda's Handy Hints, Amanda Keller. :cool:
  • I make the caramel in the microwave, its fiddly but less so than trying not to burning it on the hob. I dont make the version that requires boiling the tin. I use the one that comes off the Nestle website adding butter and sugar. Never had a complaint!!
  • I dont kow if this has already been posted on here but this is my easy recipe i follow when making banoffee pie thought some of you might like to try it! Let me know what ya think! Ash x

Ingredients
    • Tin (400g) of condensed milk (NOT evaporated milk!)
    • Three large bananas
    • One packet of McVities Chocolate Hob-Nobs (or similar-digestives will do)
    • Half-pint of double cream, or whipping cream
    • 2 tablespoons margarine (or butter)
    Method

Crush the biscuits in a freezer bag with a rolling pin until they are reduced to crumbs. Gently heat some margarine in a saucepan until liquid (or just leave some out at room temperature to soften). Pour crumbs and liquid/soft margarine and mix in with the crumbs until they start to bind together. Transfer the biscuit crumbs to a round dish (a large Pyrex dish is good) and pat with a spoon so that they cover the base. Place in the fridge to set. Put the tin of condensed milk in a pan of boiling water (NB- don't open the tin first!) and allow to boil for 2 hours . You should put a lid on the pan to prevent all the water boiling off. When done, remove the tin and leave to cool a little (you could pour cold water on it to cool the outside). When cool enough to handle, open the tin carefully - the condensed milk will have caramelised and may well shoot out the opening. Pour/spoon the toffee from the tin onto the biscuit base of the Pyrex dish. Place back in the fridge to cool. Slice the bananas and arrange them on top of the toffee. Whip the cream until peaking, then fold on top and smooth out. Dust with chocolate powder for effect. Keep in the fridge until needed, covered with cling-film.
  • Horasio
    Horasio Posts: 6,676 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    That sounds gorgeous:)
    An average day in my life:hello: :eek::mad: :coffee::coffee::coffee::T :o :rotfl: :rotfl: :p :eek::mad: :beer:
    I am no expert in property but have lived in many types of homes, in many locations and can only talk from experience.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure