PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

£7.00 per week - menu ideas

Comments

• Fruball
    Fruball Posts: 5,739
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    week 1
    sunday
    b porridge and jam
    l toad in the hole 2 sausages each plus 2 y.puds, some mixed veg, use 1 of the baking potatoes and cut into 4 and gravy
    d 2 boiled eggs each plus one sliced roll toasted each. Pancakes using left over batter from yorkshire puds and lemon juice for dessert
    make up the sponge mix using 1 egg to make 12 fairy cakes for lunch boxes for through the week put them in the freezer and just get 2 out every morning

monday
    b as sunday
    l 2 ham rolls and a cake
    d sausage pasta: Cook ½ a pack of spaghetti and fry 2 sausages and slice them up, add ½ a jar of pasta sauce and a handful of frozen mixed veg....

Tuesday
    b p & j
    l 2 ham rolls and a cake
    d sausage pilaff :cook some rice for 10 mins, transfer to a dish, fry and slice the last 2 sausages and put into the rice along with a handful of mixed veg and the ¼ of a jar of the pasta sauce, plus 1 mug full of water. (leave the rest of the sauce left in the jar for tomorrow) put in the oven for 15 -20 mins, or until the rice has absorbed most of the pasta sauce.

Wednesday
    breakfast as the rest of the week
    l 2 ham rolls each and a cake
    d pitta bread pizza....... Spread the last of the pasta sauce over one or two pitta breads each
    (depending on appetite), break up some mozzarella and equally divide over the pitta breads along with a few olives from a jar.

Thursday
    breakfast and lunch as wednesday
    d. 1 egg omelette, with a jacket potato each, plus a tin of baked beans.
    Friday breakfast and lunch as thursday d ½ pack spaghetti, a diced onion and a cheese sauce for a spaghetti cheese.

Saturday b as friday l the last 2 pitta breads filled with boiled eggs and lettuce d mixed veg crust less quiche 2 eggs 200ml milk the last of the mixed veg and a sprinkle of mixed herbs, if you have them, serve with lettuce and a couple of tomatoes (get these from the local market or greengrocer( they don't mind you buying a few at a time) and boiled potatoes using the last baking potato or they can be diced and fried.

Tesco unless specified aldi or asda

porridge 500g 55p...... 1kg £1 (1kg in asda is 75p)
    mixed fruit jam 29p
    everyday 12 pk rolls 35p
    everyday ham (10 slices) 61p
    sponge sandwich mix 22p
    6 pitta bread 20p
    baked beans 26p aldi
    4 baking potatoes 59p aldi
    spaghetti 500g 24p
    lg rice 1 kg 40p
    bag frozen mixed veg 75p
    gravy granules 20p
    everyday pork sausages 56p
    pasta sauce 39p
    cheese sauce mix 3 for £1 = 33p
    batter mix 7p
    1 onion 10p
    15 eggs = £1.25 aldi
    mozzarella1 x 44p = 44p

the total is from the cheapest price on the list £7.80, but you will still have 5 eggs and 2/3 of a bag of rice left for the following week.

Wow that is impressive!!! :T :T :T
  • Butterfly_Brain
    Butterfly_Brain Posts: 8,862
    First Post First Anniversary I've been Money Tipped! Post of the Month
    Forumite
    I meant to say that when you make your cakes, make your rolls as well and freeze them , then they will stay fresh for the week.
    When your Bursary comes through you should check out the store cupboard thread and build up a buffer, just in case this happens again, it doesn't take long, just a few tins or packets/ frozen every week and you will be surprised how quickly it grows.
    http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=4031559
    Blessed are the cracked for they are the ones that let in the light
    C.R.A.P R.O.L.L.Z. Member #35 Butterfly Brain + OH - Foraging Fixers
    Not Buying it 2015!
  • mandragora_2
    mandragora_2 Posts: 2,611
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite
    edited 22 July 2012 at 6:02PM
    Come round to ours and I'll go through the cupboards. I hate the thought of a couple having absolutely nothing in.

Is there a food bank near you at all to help you over the tough initial set-up period?
    http://www.fareshare.org.uk/?page_id=920

and Trussel Trust map of foodbanks:

https://maps.google.co.uk/maps/ms?oe=UTF-8&hl=en&ie=UTF8&msa=0&msid=111130270486075675880.00048aa53ae68ca28799a&z=6

homepage:
    http://www.trusselltrust.org/
    Reason for edit? Can spell, can't type!
  • Fruball
    Forumite
    Pasta is really good with a big knob of butter and lots of S&P. Even better with garlic and olive oil.

If you have cheese, throw some on the top - we all love plain pasta in this house.
  • optimistic
    optimistic Posts: 231
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    Week 1
    Sunday
    B Porridge and Jam
    L Toad in the hole 2 sausages each plus 2 y.puds, some mixed veg, use 1 of the baking potatoes and cut into 4 and gravy
    D 2 boiled eggs each plus one sliced roll toasted each. Pancakes using left over batter from Yorkshire puds and lemon juice for dessert
    Make up the sponge mix using 1 egg to make 12 fairy cakes for lunch boxes for through the week put them in the freezer and just get 2 out every morning

Monday
    B As Sunday
    L 2 ham rolls and a cake
    D sausage pasta: Cook ½ a pack of spaghetti and fry 2 sausages and slice them up, add ½ a jar of pasta sauce and a handful of frozen mixed veg....

Tuesday
    B P & J
    L 2 ham rolls and a cake
    D Sausage pilaff :Cook some rice for 10 mins, transfer to a dish, fry and slice the last 2 sausages and put into the rice along with a handful of mixed veg and the ¼ of a jar of the pasta sauce, plus 1 mug full of water. (Leave the rest of the sauce left in the jar for tomorrow) Put in the oven for 15 -20 mins, or until the rice has absorbed most of the pasta sauce.

Wednesday
    Breakfast as the rest of the week
    L 2 ham rolls each and a cake
    D Pitta bread pizza....... spread the last of the pasta sauce over one or two pitta breads each
    (Depending on appetite), break up some mozzarella and equally divide over the pitta breads along with a few olives from a jar.

Thursday
    Breakfast and Lunch as Wednesday
    D. 1 egg omelette, with a jacket potato each, plus a tin of baked beans.
    Friday Breakfast and Lunch as Thursday D ½ pack spaghetti, a diced onion and a cheese sauce for a spaghetti cheese.

Saturday B As Friday L The last 2 pitta breads filled with boiled eggs and lettuce D Mixed veg crust less quiche 2 eggs 200ml milk the last of the mixed veg and a sprinkle of mixed herbs, if you have them, serve with lettuce and a couple of tomatoes (get these from the local market or Greengrocer( they don't mind you buying a few at a time) and boiled potatoes using the last baking potato or they can be diced and fried.

Tesco unless specified Aldi or Asda

Porridge 500g 55p...... 1kg £1 (1kg in Asda is 75p)
    Mixed fruit Jam 29p
    Everyday 12 pk rolls 35p
    Everyday ham (10 slices) 61p
    sponge sandwich mix 22p
    6 pitta bread 20p
    Baked beans 26p Aldi
    4 baking potatoes 59p Aldi
    Spaghetti 500g 24p
    LG Rice 1 kg 40p
    Bag frozen mixed veg 75p
    Gravy Granules 20p
    Everyday pork sausages 56p
    Pasta sauce 39p
    Cheese sauce mix 3 for £1 = 33p
    Batter Mix 7p
    1 onion 10p
    15 eggs = £1.25 Aldi
    Mozzarella1 x 44p = 44p

The total is from the cheapest price on the list £7.80, but you will still have 5 eggs and 2/3 of a bag of rice left for the following week.

Burrefly brain - this is so useful - i hope the op (and others) can feel more positive about their situation now. It really is amazing how supportive and inventive you all are on here.:)
  • Fruball
    Forumite
    Also, milkandmore dot co dot uk do £10 off your first order! It's basically the milkman - they do anything from bread and bacon to garden compost so worth a look at the website x
  • Racheldevon
    Racheldevon Posts: 635 Forumite
    As you mention nursery i'm assuming you have a child under 5 - contact your local sure start children's centre (every community has access to their services (free from birth to the child's 5th birthday, look on google for your nearest one). There's a wide range of support they'll be able to offer, including food bank vouchers/access to other food support via local welfare trusts etc that they can link you into
  • Racheldevon
    Racheldevon Posts: 635 Forumite
    You may also qualify for the '2gether funding' if you local authority is one of the 9 LAs nationally taking part in which case you'll get 15 hours of childcare free if your child is 2 - ask your local children's centre
  • Butterfly_Brain
    Butterfly_Brain Posts: 8,862
    First Post First Anniversary I've been Money Tipped! Post of the Month
    Forumite
    Thank you all for your kind words :orespect-011.gif:o I am working on a week 2 so I will post as soon as it is finished - even if we all have a few bob it may help us to cut back a little to save a bit more before the Universal credit comes in, which personally I think is going to be disastrous for a lot of people. It just shows that it can be done, but it is tough especially without a store cupboard of even the basics.
    Blessed are the cracked for they are the ones that let in the light
    C.R.A.P R.O.L.L.Z. Member #35 Butterfly Brain + OH - Foraging Fixers
    Not Buying it 2015!
  • prepareathome
    prepareathome Posts: 1,931
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Forumite
    Chunkysmum wrote: »

I got the impression that you MSEs enjoyed a challenge.

Excuse me for being rude but are you for real?

It is not exactly what I would expect to hear from someone who is really up against it, more from someone doing research into how little a family can live on.

These are only suitable for very short time, if you tried to live on them long term health problems will arise through lack of nutrients please remember that.

If you really are so short forgive me but there have been a few posts like your appearing over past few weeks and some sound genuine and some sound more like fishing expeditions.

Again if you are genuine forgive me.
    Need to get back to getting finances under control now kin kid at uni as savings are zilch

Fashion on a ration coupon 2021 - 21 left
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport