The MSE Forum will be undergoing some maintenance this evening. As a result, some users may experience temporary performance issues. Please use the Site Feedback board to report anything major. Thank you for your patience.

HGV/LGV Funded Training

Comments

• Anihilator
    Anihilator Posts: 2,169 Forumite
    CB1985 wrote: »
    great idea why didnt i think of that, oh wait yeah i did! its so easy for those in a job to say go get one...

Its easier than getting an HGV job anyway:rolleyes:
  • CB1985
    CB1985 Posts: 35 Forumite
    Anihilator wrote: »
    Its easier than getting an HGV job anyway:rolleyes:

well obviously i havent got a Class 1 license yet!

i know enough people in enough places to get a position within weeks and as stated id quite happily temp for agencys for crap money than sign on every fortnight!

and i wish you would stop patronising me, when was the last time you were out of work? do you work for the JC/DWP?

as said, its so easy for those of you in work and have been during this recession/!!!! state of uk affairs to say get a job

Im don arguing the toss with you anyway, i came here for help not to be talked down to by some !!!! end stuck up on his high horse
  • pinkpig08
    pinkpig08 Posts: 2,829 Forumite
    Have you considered trying to get a job to save and fund your own training? My husband is an HGV driver, he did his C+E last year and had to pay approx £1000 for it. It's not cheap but if it's what you really want to do then it's worth saving up for.
    Sealed Pot Challenge #817 £50 banked :)
  • Anihilator
    Anihilator Posts: 2,169 Forumite
    CB1985 wrote: »
    well obviously i havent got a Class 1 license yet!

i know enough people in enough places to get a position within weeks and as stated id quite happily temp for agencys for crap money than sign on every fortnight!

and i wish you would stop patronising me, when was the last time you were out of work? do you work for the JC/DWP?

as said, its so easy for those of you in work and have been during this recession/!!!! state of uk affairs to say get a job

Im don arguing the toss with you anyway, i came here for help not to be talked down to by some !!!! end stuck up on his high horse

That well placed the only jobs all your contacts have are for drivers yeah? Because hauliers etc dont need non driving staff.

And for the record there is no shortage of qualified HGV drivers already. You wont be any better off having a licence.

Anyone who wants drivers will hire nice experienced ones.
  • CB1985
    pinkpig08 wrote: »
    Have you considered trying to get a job to save and fund your own training? My husband is an HGV driver, he did his C+E last year and had to pay approx £1000 for it. It's not cheap but if it's what you really want to do then it's worth saving up for.

i am currently seekin work and obviously this may be the only option open to me, as some people on here aren't very helpful, but as i have said i am finding it hard, not finding the work most of the time its actually getting a reply from th employer! im not going to say theres no jobs around my area because there is, but now theres 30x more people applying for said jobs.
  • busy_mom_2
    busy_mom_2 Posts: 1,391
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    Lets explain how jobentre funding works,
    ADF is adviser discretion funding and this has a maximum of £300 to remove 'small' barriers into employment, it could be tools, clothes etc, it could be the digital card you need or maybe your forklift licence has expired and you can prove of several vacancies you could apply for.

Next thing is rapid response, people who have been made redundant within a certain period and without training they will struggle to find employment. This because there work doesn't exist anymore and they have no transferable skills.

Their case will be looked at individually, are they likely to get a job at the end, as many people have pointed out there is no shortage of experienced drivers out there. This may mean they would refuse your training and your age is also against you. They would consider you able of getting a normal driving job then saving up.
    Tax payers money is not there for everyone to get their 'ideal' job

What work have you done before? Where you made redundant from that job? Why wait 6mnths before trying to find training?
  • Interesting thread. Regarding funding. From working in the LGV licence acquisition market I am not aware of any funding, as such. You mentioned earlier CDL's, however if your credit rating is poor you will struggle to get approved.
    The JC, from my understanding will fund training if you have been unemployed for more than 6 months. It is rare for the JC to pay for C, C+E and ADR all at once. The Driver CPC is also here, but it does not affect you if you passed your car test before 1997. Most, if not all LGV training companies are independents and it is best to go direct. Personally I would approach your local provider and see what funding they may have in their area, i.e. NVQ, or ESF. Each training company has its own setup. The haulage industry has been effected just as much as every other, and jobs are harder to get then before. Saying that, things will pick up, as will the demand for Drivers. It may be a good time to re-skill and get qualified. What ever you do, be careful before you part with any money for training. Have a look around to find a local LGV training provider. Good luck!
  • CB1985
    thank you! i knew pretty much everything you said but not in as much detail regards the funding, TBH i wouldnt want to do the ADR yet and would be happy with JC funding my Class1 (rigid) and do th artic C+E later out of my own pocket same with ADR
  • Don't take any notice of 'Anihilator' he thinks every driving job is easy! :)
  • CB1985
    Don't take any notice of 'Anihilator' he thinks every driving job is easy! :)

i noticed he was a banker so what else can i say?
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure