PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

February 2009 Grocery Challenge

Comments

• So far, still on NSDs all the way. It's useful, this snow! DH due back today, DS back at work today too. Must go through the pantry again and see what we need/want. Is there anywhere online where I can get the prices of foods at Messrs L/A, Stainbury's, Tresco, Morristons & the Coop? I know that mysupermarket.co.uk does a sterling job on Adsa, Waitingforarose, Trescos & Stainsbury's, but I don't have any of them near here! Any help much appreciated.

So, apart from the missing £30 [and I think I'm going to have to include a £20 note which I had squirrelled away against desparation, if I'm not careful], I think I'll manage this month.

thanks, everyone, and supportive hugs for those who need them.

DG
    If you see me on here - shout at me to get off and go and get something useful done!! :D
  • Have just been thinking about my meal plan (whilst supposed to be writing a new brochure for work!) and have realised that I have stuff that needs using up like potatos etc before I make my 5 bean chilli which is usually made from dried/canned beans, tinned tomatoes etc (basically stuff that will keep).

So rather than end up chucking them away I'm looking for easy things to do with just plain old white spuds?
    I was going to make some mash but that's boring (made leek and potato soup last night).
    Anyone got any ideas?

I was thinking of a fancy layered potato thingy but don't know where to start and what I need......

Can anyone help?

I have basics like mature cheese, milk etc if that helps (and can pop to the shop on the way home from work for the odd low cost ingredient!)
  • Morning all. Was hoping for a NSD today but it's not going to happen now - DS needs a new toothbrush, I'm sure he tries to eat them! Also need more baby wipes and nappy sacks for DS2.

Think will have to do some more baking today, made some fruit buns & flapjack on sunday but they just seem to dissapear. Not sure what to do for dinner today. have some leftover chicken from Sunday, may attempt to make some sort of pie - any advice greatly appreciated - never made chicken pie before.

Will update sig later with spends.

Have a good day.
    Me, DH, DS(6), DS(2)
    Feb Grocery challenge £322.98/£300
    Aug Grocery challenge £109.86/£300
  • managed 2 NSDs on sunday and monday:T .

today should be cheap, jacket pots for lunch and DH and me will have stir fry with quorn later. the boys need early tea so it will be something out of the freezer for them.

made a lovely jam sponge in the microwave for afters on sunday which went down very well - but i think i need a new seal on the lid as it took forevwer to build up pressure
    SPC~12 ot 124

In a world that has decided that it's going to lose its mind, be more kind my friend, try to Be More Kind
  • Had to pop into lidl yesterday for emergancy supplies to help cure a hangover! Irn Bru, big greasy pizza & some choc so a grand total of £2.50.
    Pleased to report they definitely helped and I'm feeling much better today. :p
  • tessie_bear
    tessie_bear Posts: 4,898 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Mortgage-free Glee!
    hi...the bees i think that liquid calculation is brilliant...i do similar in shops all the time...working out what a portion will cost of something....i have a little secret i have discovered or think iv discovered in local coop they reduce things a couple of days before sell by....but if there is a lot and u go back next day they have been reduced again...of course they might have all gone...but iv gone back a couple of times now and its been even cheaper....iv got my eye on a couple of nice chickens so im going to pop back tomorrow and have a look.....with regards to using up potatoes...im sure u can cook and mash then freeze in portions....u could make potato cakes...equal quantities cooked mash and flour roll out and cut with a biscuit cutter then shallow fry and serve with bacon and eggs.....u could make loaded potato skins eat some and freeze some.....hope evryone has a good day....iv just been out and pushing a buggy in the slush is a nightmare it really takes it out of your back
    tata tess
    onwards and upwards
  • rachelmk try looking on MR S website as has a receipe bit and you can select an ingredient. Put Potatoe in a will give you some ideas. i had some leeks that I had to use pronto and did this and got some nice meal ideas from that.
    So far nothing spent this week on grocerys but will need to stop at MR T tonight for cat biscuits, milk, sawdust for rabbit etc. Hoping to keep it under a fiver.
    MAY NSD's

• rachelmk wrote: »
    So rather than end up chucking them away I'm looking for easy things to do with just plain old white spuds?
    I was going to make some mash but that's boring (made leek and potato soup last night).
    Anyone got any ideas?

I was thinking of a fancy layered potato thingy but don't know where to start and what I need......

Can anyone help?

I have basics like mature cheese, milk etc if that helps (and can pop to the shop on the way home from work for the odd low cost ingredient!)

Hi rachelmk - what about a Potato Bake thing, I just layer sliced potatoes with diced onion, season and then pour over some stock with a bit of milk, a few knobs of butter on the top and bake in the oven.;)

dizzycow - when I make a Chicken Pie I just make a white sauce with a chicken stock cube added, place the chicken in the bottom of the dish, pour over the sauce and then puff pastry on the top - you can also add peas, sweetcorn, mushrooms, ham etc etc or a combination of all.;)

Dinner tonight for us is a HM Fish Pie, Broccoli and carrots.:D

Hope you all have a good day.;)
    "WASTE NOT, WANT NOT!"
    GC for OH, myself, DD18 & DD16 includes Toiletries, cleaning stuff & Food.

• Rachelmk, teisen datws [tie-sen dat-oos] is the Welsh dish I think you might be thinking of. The way I make it is to butter the bottom of an ovenproof dish lightly, very finely slice up as many potatoes as you like - usually one large one per person in this household! - one onion between 2 persons - butter - milk. Layer up as follows, potatoes, onions, dot some butter in, potatoes, onion, butter and repeat until the last layer is potatoes dotted with some butter. Pour in milk to just come under the top layer of potatoes and then put the lid on - if you've got one, if not don't fret! - put it on a tray [to save the bottom of the oven in case it boils over!] and bung in the oven on fairly high for at least half an hour and then turn it down and walk away. You can leave it from one hour to 6 hours and it'll be beautiful.

If you want to use the slow cooker, it's a marvellous dish. Just remember to put it on high for 20 minutes first. Smells wonderful, is as cheap as anything and you can even make it without the onions, use made up dried milk and margarine if pennies are tight. Sometimes I leave out the onions on purpose, for a change, sometimes I put herbs in the layers, sometimes I add left over chicken/beef and use the gravy [watered down to make enough liquid] instead of the milk. Very variable, very enjoyable. Have fun.
    If you see me on here - shout at me to get off and go and get something useful done!! :D
  • went to asda today and spent even more money!!! not sure how much yet as i also got a iron and kettle so will go through the receipts later and add the damage!!

Did get some of the cathedral city cheese on offer for £2 (its my fav so i got two!!) some woopsie chicken pieces got two of these and before i would of had to get two packs for one meal but i will be bulking out and only using one - which is more then enough but i do have a greedy dh!!! :)

Got some tomatoes reduced to 15p aswell my dd1 loves them so will go into her packed lunches. Was a hard trip and im sure i got some bits that wasnt really needed (like the chocolate iced rings.....:o ) but dd2 was screaming all the way round so was hard to concentrate and needed a treat - she is having a bout of the terrible twos i think!!
    GC: Nov: £60.22/£450 Oct: £338.48/£450, July: £363.05/£450, June £447.98/£500
    £2 savers No68: £104/£100 :j
    :jmummy to: 8yr, 5yr, 3yr, 2yr, 1yr. No6 Due Mar 2013 My world.:j
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family