PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

scaling up cake recipe - 9" square cake - UPDATE with pictures

Hi
I am trying to bake a cake in a 9" square cake tin (as we speak, its in the oven).
I used a standard sponge cake recipe (6oz flour fat sugar and 3 oeggs) and doubloed it and tipped the whole lot in.

Its been in the oven (fan at 160) for about 45 minutes now. The top has domes and split (I dont care about that) revealing that the middle is still very liquidy.
The edges are done (and taste yummy).

It doesnt matter too much if it gets overdone round the edges/top/bottom as I have to sculpt it (into Lightning McQueen - as you do).

Do you think it will be ok or should I start over ?

What should I do differently with the quantities/temp to get a big square cake that cooks evenly ?

Thanks for any help
Jill
Jan GC: £202.65/£450 (as of 4-1-12)
NSDs: 3
Walk to school: 2/47
Bloater challenge: £0/0lbs

Comments

• JillD_2
    JillD_2 Posts: 1,773 Forumite
    anyone ??
    thx

• Penelope_Penguin
    Penelope_Penguin Posts: 17,288 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker I've been Money Tipped!
    Hi, Jill! Don't know anything about fan ovens - I only use gas.

If it were my cake, I'd put some foil over it (or a thick tray on a shelf above it - my Rayburn has a shelf for just that purpose) turn the heat down a bit and let it cook longer. That way gives the inside a chance to cook. Don't think it'll be completely spoiled.

HTH, Penny. x
    :rudolf: Sheep, pigs, hens and bees on our Teesdale smallholding :rudolf:
  • JillD_2
    Thanks Penny, thats a good tip to know
    Its out of the oven at the minute looking a bit black on top with a big hole in the middle! I really can't face doing it again so I am going to cut off the burnt bits, stuff some ok bits into the hole, then freeze it, and then sculpt it whilst half thawed.
    Next time I'll try the foil trick for sure :)

Thanks
    Jill

• Addiscomber
    Addiscomber Posts: 1,004 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    I hate to be the one to say it, but i don't think that you have scaled the recipe up enough. for a nine inch square tin you would need sufficient for a 10 inch round tin, and a mix based on 6oz doesn't sound enough to me. I have a feeling that when I made a 10 inch round cake i either tripled or quadrupled my usual recipe. What you really need to do is work out the volume of each tin and divide the larger one by the smaller to get number to scale up by.
  • JillD_2
    but surely if I had put even more cake mix in the tin it would have been even deeper and taken even longer to cook in the middle meanwhile the edges and top would have been even more burnt ?

• Addiscomber
    I wonder if a basic sponge mix actually works for this type of thing, or whether you should perhaps have used a slightly more solid cake type. Thinking about it I didn't use a sponge recipe.
  • JillD_2
    I have no idea! I've scoured the internet for a square basic sponge cake recipe but to no avail :(

• Addiscomber
    So, you need a large cake that you can carve for a novelty cake, right?
    I have loads, and I mean loads, of pages ripped out of magazines over the years and quite possibly have a suitable recipe but it is bedtime now so it would have to be tomorrow.

OMG - I have just googled "Lightning McQueen" and discovered that it is a car! rather you than me.
  • JillD_2
    LOL yes you have hit the nail on the head. I googled "square cake recipe" and all I could find was loads of American sites which had a recipe something like this:
    Ingredients
    1 packet cake mix
    1 egg
    water

Instructions
    Follow steps on packet

sorry but that is not a recipe LOL

Anything for a larger recipe would be brill thanks:T

• Addiscomber
    It seems that you should use a Madeira cake recipe. This makes sense as it is a cake rather than sponge, and will "carve" more cleanly than a sponge, which I reckon would end up as a pile of crumbs once you started wielding the knife :eek:

Madeira cake keeps well wrapped in foil or in a tin for 7-8 days, or you can freeze it. Cakes can be decorated a few days before a party (the instructions for the various cakes in the article are all decorated with fondant icing if that helps at all).

Work out how much mixture is required by using a measuring jug to fill the tin with water to the level that you want the cake to rise; for every ¾ pint (450ml) you will need a 1-egg, 2oz butter, 2oz sugar, etc mixture. If the tin has a loose bottom, line it with foil, then fill up with water and calculate quantities.

For an 8” round or 7” square tin you would need a 4 egg mix, and by my rough calculations you would need a 7 egg mix for a 9”, and possibly an 8 egg mix for increased depth, but of course that would depend on how deep your tin is.

For an 8” round or 7” square

8oz butter
    8oz caster sugar
    4 eggs, medium
    ½ level teaspoon vanilla essence
    8oz self-raising flour
    4oz plain flour

Line and grease the tin. Cream the butter and sugar together until light and fluffy. Add the eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition. Stir in the vanilla essence. Sift the flours together, then fold into the creamed mixture to give a soft dropping consistency. If the mixture is too stiff, fold in 1-2 tablespoons water. Spoon into the tin. Level surface, then hollow out centre to a depth of about 1”. Bake above centre of oven , Gas mark 3, 325F, 160C, for 1½ - 1¾ hours. Smaller shallower cakes will take less time and larger ones a little more. Test by inserting a fine skewer into centre of cake – it should come out clean when the cake is done.

Presumably in your fan oven position won’t really matter, and you would use 150C.

Good luck, and please let me know how it turns out. A picture would be good if you are brave enough.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure