Industrial Workers Office Scamming

Comments

• I've just had a call from the Northern 'Lady' .... and I do use that term loosely. She got more than a bit miffed when I kept asking her where she was getting her information from that she supposedly 'held' about me .... more miffed when I asked for more details on the company as to whether they were a private or Government Company (she was at that time trying to make me believe that this was some sort of Government initiative .... yeah right).

Then she told me she was "obliged" to phone me !!! When I asked her on whose behalf was she ... 'obliged' ...to make such calls, she told me that she was obliged by her company to make these calls. Northern Lady then become even more miffed when i told her that imo she had been 'instructed' by her company to phone .... not obliged ... to do so and that furthermore whilst we were on the subject of obligation, what with me being on the TPS, that she was in fact 'obliged' not to phone me ..... not now ... not in the future .... not ever !!!

Stupid woman shouted at me and slammed down the phone ...... what a nerve as I was only starting getting going ... lol. I of course immediately dialled 1471 and guess what ...... correct .... number withheld ! What a shocker and I was therefore unable to further contact Northern Lady to continue the whole discussion about .... obligation .... plus we never did get round to talking about the industrial hearing loss that I have not suffered.
  • Just had a call from the Industrial Hearing Clinic today... He asked if I had worked in industry and if I could confirm my initials. When I said I would confirm neither because I didn't know who he was he got really stroppy. He said that he wouldn't remove me from the database unless I confirmed what my initials were. I refused. He said he would only ring back if I refused, and what was the harm anyway? I said that it was an unsolicited call and I didn't know who he was. He got really cross and said that it would make everyone's life much easier if I could just do as he had asked me. I said no and hung up. Lo and behold the phone on our SECOND phone line rang immediately (next one down in the phone book)... and surprise! Same man... same question. Except that he knew it would be me and started haranguing me again saying that the only way he could work out how I was on the database would be if I gave him my details! I told him to "get knotted" largely because it was now plainly obvious that his database was the phone book. We are on the telephone preference service. Whoever this company is... they are not acting within industry standards, or even possibly within the law. My advice would be to avoid working with them at all costs even if you have a legitimate claim. If you do have a claim, then source your own representation from a list of recommended solicitors.
  • Similar story to the others, their name was as above, the man was very aggressive, told me I used to work for Dyson and had suffered impaired hearing, which certainly wasn't true for me. They could then claim for me.
    They rang me several more times so I got my son to answer and say I was out, when asked for a number, I could call them back on they gave me a local (worcester) number, which I didn't call as I assume it was from their list. I've looked up ways of either blocking such calls (via BT Call refusal, which costs around £4 a month) or finding a with held number, but none seems suitable for me.
    The answer is to get their number and address so we can report them to the TPS, does anyone have it?
  • Yes, Industrial Workers Office - again! Called me, told me that I used to work in industry, then started to ask me what I did and for whom. As I'm registered with the TPS, I told him that what he was asking was none of his b****y business and that I was with the TPS. Cue angry reaction. I put down the phone only to be called back immediately! didn't bother to pick it up, guess what? Number withheld!
    It seems to be a much more assertive and indeed aggressive approach from these guys.
  • shebangs
    shebangs Posts: 297 Forumite
    edited 11 April 2012 at 6:34PM
  • Had one of these today. He mentioned something about hearing loss so I spent the remainder of the time asking him to repeat everything and pretending I couldn't hear him properly until he hung up on me.
  • I've just had a really nasty phone call from the Industrial Workers Office, who gave their address as 149 Blackburn St, Blackburn, insisting I worked for Dyson and had a knock on the head. I told them I had never worked for them and the guy got shirty with me, then put me through to his manager who told me I had probably forgotten due to the knock on the head!!!! They were demanding my bank details and had my home address.

I have reported it to Action Fraud on 0300 1232040 and would urge anyone else to do the same. These are really unpleasant calls to receive and the sooner we can get these horrible people shut down, the better.
  • DVardysShadow
    DVardysShadow Posts: 18,949 Forumite
    Bizzarre.

[ring ring --- ring ring]
    Victim: Hello?
    Caller: This is the Industrial Workers Office
    Victim: Hello?
    Caller: We were wondering if you had ever worked in an industry and suffered hearing loss?
    Victim: Could you speak up a bit please?
    Caller: WE WERE WONDERING IF YOU HAD EVER WORKED IN AN INDUSTRY AND SUFFERED HEARING LOSS?
    Victim: Sorry I can't hear you, I am deaf. [Hangs up]
    Hi, we’ve had to remove your signature. If you’re not sure why please read the forum rules or email the forum team if you’re still unsure - MSE ForumTeam
  • To the people of this forum;

I am a 17 year old former employee of the people calling you. The company you are receiving these phone calls is called Central Claims Group.

I'm a new user so I can't post links, apologies.

Here is how to find the website; google Central Claims Group, and it will be the top website.

I'm not here to defend this company, in fact I despise them for what they're encouraging, and just for general poor customer and employee care.

I will emphasise however, that this isn't a scam. They are just cold calling random people, using numbers from the phone book, and trying to persuade any poor soul unlucky enough to admitting to working in a noisy environment into going down to a hearing test and then going on to claim compensation from their former employers for Industrial Deafness.

They are breaking several laws/legislation, as technically if you tell the company you are not interested, they are not allowed to ring you for at least 28 days. Many people receive 28 phonecalls in 7 days. They are also not complying to any sort of Telephone Preference Service regulation. Lastly they are grossly mis-selling the services they offer. They often tell the recipient of the call that legislation regarding Industrial Deafness has "recently changed." Bulls**t.

Long story short, these people harass, push up insurance premiums, and are also a burden on what little industry and manufacturing remain in our country.

I urge anyone who is sick of these calls to take the following measures;

Make sure you deregister your number from the phonebook.
    And complain by the procedure listed here:
    ioc . gov. uk //complaints/privacy_and_electronic_communications. aspx
    (Just remove the spaces)

The contact information for the company:

Central Claims Group
    Warth Business Centre
    Suite 224
    Warth Road
    Bury
    Lancashire
    BL9 9NB

or...

Tel 0161 7630052
    Fax 0161 7630065

Do feel free to return the harassment.
    Kilburn.
  • andyr21 wrote: »
    Similar story to the others, their name was as above, the man was very aggressive, told me I used to work for Dyson and had suffered impaired hearing, which certainly wasn't true for me. They could then claim for me.
    They rang me several more times so I got my son to answer and say I was out, when asked for a number, I could call them back on they gave me a local (worcester) number, which I didn't call as I assume it was from their list. I've looked up ways of either blocking such calls (via BT Call refusal, which costs around £4 a month) or finding a with held number, but none seems suitable for me.
    The answer is to get their number and address so we can report them to the TPS, does anyone have it?

Hi,

Ive had a number of calls for my husband although they've phoned my mobile no and the caller id that appears is 01204397400
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure