Loose change - best place to cash in?

Comments

• My local chemist and newsagent both appreciate bags of change, if you don't go in when it is too busy. They have to pay the bank to get change, you see, so it saves them.

Edited as I just remembered - my bank will not accept more than five bags of loose change at one time.

Also, if there is a bill that is particularly irritating you, pay it in pennies! And count them out before the person slowly. And lose count and start again. Of course, that depends if it is something like a paper bill or a parking fine.
    Ankh Morpork Sunshine Sanctuary for Sick Dragons - don't let my flame go out!
  • SomeBozo
    SomeBozo Posts: 1,195 Forumite
    Or if you are patient, use the loose change to pay on the "self service" payout aisles in supermarkets.

Bozo
  • Forgetful
    Forgetful Posts: 1,729 Forumite
    yes never take to one of those coinstar machines.. a rip off at 7.5 % if i remember correctly
    banks are a bit picky too.
    so I suggest take to local shop,i work in a chipy and we always need the change... cos boss has to pay bank to get money changed.
  • I bank with Lloyds and they always let me change it up and pay it in my account then I just withdraw the cash or do a payment through Internet banking to a credit card bill. I think I took about 7 bags in the last time and I asked for more bags and they gave me a handful.

I also change them in my local Post Office as long as it isn't too many bags they don't mind.
    Sealed Pot Challenge #016
  • novagirl
    novagirl Posts: 1,578
    First Anniversary
    Forumite
    Don't mix up the different types of coins in each bag when you take them to a bank. That's what annoys cashiers the most ;)
  • exel1966
    exel1966 Posts: 4,978
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    Collect the bags from the bank, ask what is the quietest time of day to come in and exchange/deposit them, check any bag limitations (many smaller branches or ShAbbey/A+L won't accept more then 5 at one time) go home bag the coins up, return to bank and hey presto, pour the whiskey ! :beer:
  • Mathew
    Mathew Posts: 560 Forumite
    I always choose to use coinstar machines, its simple and can be done when I shop rather than the time and effort of counting it all out!

I find that the charge is reasonable and well worth it to save the hassle of counting it out, placing it in bags etc.
  • Mathew wrote: »
    I always choose to use coinstar machines, its simple and can be done when I shop rather than the time and effort of counting it all out!

I find that the charge is reasonable and well worth it to save the hassle of counting it out, placing it in bags etc.

cointar are a rip off

They charge 7.5p of every pound, dont seem a lot but its 75p for every £10
    Or £7.50 for £100 changed. Easier to bag it up and bank it, or,go into a bank and ask them to change it, normally theyll change it, if they ask if you bnk with them just say yes
    Live for what tomorrow has to bring, not what yesterday has taken away
  • I off load my change into the petty cash tin at work, they always want change.
    Nothing to see here, move along.
  • moneypooh
    moneypooh Posts: 2,217
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    If you know someone with a business account, they can change as many bags as you like for you when they do their banking. Easy :D
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure