double glazing grant?

:question: hi, i was just wondering if anyone knows if there is such a thing as a double glazing grant. i know the government has a thing about saving energy and have grants for insulation and cavity wall but i already have that done. my home is owned by me and my husband (with a mortgage) and found that when we moved in the glazed units had blown in nearly every room. my uncle is a glazier and has been for many years but is retired. he came to look at a crack that i had in one of my windows and noticed it was a heat crack and says the previous owners must have had a heater close to the window presumably to dry it out. he checked all the other windows and noticed they had blown. i have had a few quotes and noticed that it is very expensive to have them all replaced. over the winter i have noticed it is quite cold in my house even though we have the heating on. can anyone help with my enquiry???

Comments

• amd
    amd Posts: 303 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Your local council - planning I think - should be able to advise on home improvement loans. There's usually a huge waiting list, they will only pay out a percentage of the total and last time I claimed they would only pay towards the cost of replacement SINGLE glazing and adjusted the figure to suit!

Not aware of any other agency giving grants for glazing. Maybe someone else will know.
    Money can't buy you happiness, but it does bring you a more pleasant form of misery.
    (Spike Milligan)
  • Poppycat
    Poppycat Posts: 19,913 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    I very much doubt it. You can get grants for Home Repair Assistance Grants I think they call them but it will take years to get any money for works unless its very urgent, and it isnt for DG unless they need replacing the original doors/windows

Check with your council

For example Berwick

http://www.berwick-upon-tweed.gov.uk/housingandproperty/assistance-grant.htm

The repair assistance grant scheme provides financial assistance towards the cost of materials required to carry out repairs, improvements or adaptations to property.
    This service is provided to help homeowners of properties to carry out minor repairs. The assistance can be in the form of a grant or the provision of materials.
  • kayla
    kayla Posts: 46 Forumite
    thanks i will try my local council. no harm in trying i guess, get as much as you can i say!!!!
  • The Govt, has today 11/9/08 anounced that lots of peaople get free insulation, while people with an income get a 50% grant! See the bbc news item: http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk_politics/7610939.stm but I am still trying to find out where and who is arranging the grants. I want one!

Also the Govt comment from the same day: http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/Nl1/Newsroom/DG_171722 with an advice line 0800 512 012
  • dander
    dander Posts: 1,771 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    It may depend what kind of property you live in, round my way we can get grants to replace windows on houses in conservation areas, as long as you're replacing inappropriate replacement windows with authentic looking ones.
  • simonm_3
    simonm_3 Posts: 62 Forumite
    Called the Govt number 0800 512 012, was told I would be called back. No call back so 4 weeks later I called again and got through.. to a very abrupt and off-hand female, said she didn't know what I was talking about, asked where I had got the number from - as if I shouldn't be calling it, when I gave her the full details from the Chancellors speech, her words were "Perhaps the Chancellor has lied".

She wouldn't say who she was, what an unpleasent experience and to have a Govt representative accuse the Chancellor of lying! Words fail me. I am putting in a formal complaint!

As to grants for double glazing, well the Chancellor clearly anounced them, EST and CEN don't know what is going on and think its all lies!
  • AllNancy
    AllNancy Posts: 284 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    I did the same and I;m still waiting for my phone call!

Nancy
    Nancy 16 Membership No 147
    BR 21st.May 2008.......Discharged November 2008
    :j...so what?....... It's Life!
  • I work in one of the 0800 512 012 advice centre's and even we don't get the correct information about grants for double glazing. The press department seem to advertise these schemes and the telephone number yet fail to pass any details on to the advisers.

As things stand their are no grants for double glazing, but i think there will be in the future. It's a shame the press are misleading the public.

:confused:
  • WelshY
    WelshY Posts: 40 Forumite
    Hi.. all i also was looking for a grant like this as my landlord is a TIGHT !!!
    but whiles looking around i found this might keep some warm in This really cold winter

Wales,scotland,england
    http://www.warmfront.co.uk/
  • you have to look around for these grants. i e-mailed one company for loft and cavity wall, they came out and said id have to pay £198 TOWARDS THE LOFT ONLY BUT THEN I E-MAILED WARMFRONT THEY HAVE JUST BEEN OUT AND ARE COMING TO DO THE LOFT AND I HAVE A GUY COMING TO LOOK AT MY BOILER ALL FREE OF CHARGE:j:j:j
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure