Entitlement to benefits if I leave my job

Comments

• I have just been looking through my staff handbook & I am entitled to 1 months full pay & 1 months half pay, so think I would be better off going on the sick, rather than quitting my job, at least at 1st, as my company sick pay will be more than ESA.

Also from what I have looked at so far, it seems that applying for ESA involves alot of stress which I don't think I could cope with right now.

Plus I think that when my sick pay ends, I'd probably be better off on JSA as I do want to work, and would be capable of work (maybe not full time at first) just so long as it's not in a call-centre or other very stressful environment.

I have decided there is no way I can return to my current job at the moment as I'm in such a state. I have had a 2nd panic attack in the space of a few days & I'm terrified of it happening again. It's just such a horrific experience.

When I saw my GP yesterday, he gave me some info to read on panic attacks & my mum has got me a couple of books from the library. GP asked me to make another appointment in a week or so to discuss treatment if symptoms persist.
  • NASA_2
    NASA_2 Posts: 5,571 Forumite
    Rather than go to the doctor and getting dosed up the eyeballs it might be worth looking into seeing a therapist/counsellor who is trained in Cognitive Behavioural Therapy.

Although they can be expsensive it is probably worth the money if it helps you deal with what you are going through right now. Some employers have agreements with counselling organisations and you might not have to pay anything.

Dont quit your job, go off sick if you need to and let your employer make whatever decision that they, in their wisdom, decide. If they dont sack you then when you are better you can go back to work, deal with the BTW interview, and move on with life. If it ultimately comes to the point where you just cant handle that sort of work then explore other options but to quit your job now wouldnt be the best avenue IMO.
  • CHARDONNAY_3
    CHARDONNAY_3 Posts: 294 Forumite
    I am definitely just going to go on the sick for now. If I am able to return in a few weeks, I'll just have to deal with my return to work then. If I need more time off & they choose to sack me, I'll just have to put in a claim for benefits.

I would love to be able to see a therapist privately, but there's no way I could afford it. CBT is available on the NHS & I know there are long waiting lists but I'll ask the GP if I can be put on the list. In the meantime 1 of the books my mum brought me involves using CBT techniques, so I'm going to try that.

My dad died last year & it made me think that life's too short & too precious to be spent feeling bad, if there's anything you can do to make your situation better.
  • cattie
    cattie Posts: 8,841
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Forumite
    If you have a branch of MIND near you then contact them as sometimes they have therapy sessions to help cope with stress & anxiety. It won't be anything like CBT, or psychotherapy, but rather things such as counselling, head massage, stress reduction therapy etc. It will be either free or a very small charge be made, such as in the case of head massage.
    The bigger the bargain, the better I feel.

I should mention that there's only one of me, don't confuse me with others of the same name.
  • sazzie_sue
    sazzie_sue Posts: 78 Forumite
    edited 21 July 2009 at 2:11AM
    Hi Chardonnay,

Just thought I would post as I have been in a similar position to your self, not with the panic attacks but with the time off work.

I also work in a call centre and know what you mean about being stressed, i work for a bank get abused on a daily basis LOL!!

A few years ago my mum was diagnosed with cancer and this hit me really bad, I had taken a lot of time off due to this and my own illness ect... I was on a stage 3 at the time and if I would of had anytime off I would of had a disciplinary and could of been sacked. A few days before my mum was due to go into to hospital to have her operation I broke down in front of everyone, it all got to much. After this I had a good heart to heart with my TL, she spoke to HR and I was given 1 month special leave on full pay which really helped me and gave me time to look after my mum despite being on a stage 3.

If you haven't spoken to your employer/manager please do just be honest they may be able to help and will prob be very sensitive towards your situation, you will porb find that your health is there number 1 priority and they would want you fit and well to do the job. If they would give you some leave you could look for another job in the meantime and tell them the stress is to much to come back or who know if you have some time off you may want to return.

If you have already spoken to them and there are being unsympathetic then take it higher to HR ect... working for a company like the NHS they will have guidelines on this kind thing, also do you have one of those employee assistant helplines, if you do call them get your head ups on the policy ect... before you talk to them so you know what your letting yourself in for they may even act on your behalf if you feel uncomfortable speaking to your employer.

Hope this info help, just an idea as if you leave they may not offer you JSA and if you get authorised leave will not go down on your record for a disciplinary, they may say no but at the end of the day you never know of you don't try ;)

I hope you feel better soon and get this sorted.

SS!x

www.nhsdirect.nhs.uk/media.aspx?id=1350

NHS policy for special leave copied from net, you could ask for compassionate leave due to loosing your father x
    :money:I secretly think martin is super sexy!! LOL!!:money:
  • NASA wrote: »
    Rather than go to the doctor and getting dosed up the eyeballs it might be worth looking into seeing a therapist/counsellor who is trained in Cognitive Behavioural Therapy.

Your GP can refer you for this treatment free of charge
  • After a week and a half of struggling through work, I finally went to see my GP & have been signed off on the sick for the next 4 weeks. I also asked if I could be refered to see a therapist, which he agreed to but advised waiting list is about 12 weeks.

My problem now is that I really don't want to return to work once my sicknote ends as a disciplinary would be too much to deal with & I worry it will look bad when applying for other jobs, especially if they end up sacking me.

With that in mind, would I be better off resigning now, using sicknote to cover my months notice period, then put in a claim for JSA?
  • cattie
    cattie Posts: 8,841
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Forumite
    If you resign & sign on for JSA you will be sanctioned for leaving your job voluntary. Can you live for a period of being sanctioned with no money coming in?

The far better way to go is either look for a new job whilst you are off sick & then sign off of sickness to begin new job or else stay on sick & let your employer's dismiss you on grounds of capability.

I'm not sure you can use sicknotes to cover notice period for employers as employers have a strict procedure they have to follow when an employee is on sick.
    The bigger the bargain, the better I feel.

I should mention that there's only one of me, don't confuse me with others of the same name.
  • I couldn't afford to be sanctioned, which is what concerns me about resigning, although I hoped if I explained why I felt I had no choice but to resign (couldn't face disciplinary / threat of being sacked) I might not be sanctioned.

I agree that finding a new job now would be ideal, but how would I explain my reasons for leaving current job & the fact that I'm on the sick at the moment?

If I let my employer dismiss me on grounds of capability & have to claim ESA, I could end up on benefits for the foreseeable future - which I defo don't want.
  • System
    System Posts: 178,077
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Community Admin
    I would take the time off if you need it. Ok, there is a risk of disciplniary but this is your health at stake, which in my book is equally as important.
    Its difficult when it comes to explaining why you were off, but ideally you shouldn't be judged for it. You just have to try and see the positives. I.e. you left in order to concentrate on making sure you were well, and it gave you the oppurtunity to try put something new etc?

I just hope your work are nothing like my ex employer who took it upon themselves to decide i'd resigned when i was off sick with depression.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure