Whiplash compensation - Fair Amount?

Comments

• I got £2000 settled this year
    had whiplash over 18 months in constant pain
    had 6 months of physio,
    oestopath 20 sessions (they paid )
    it caused muscle to constantly be in spasm , and a disc prolapse in my neck . was in constant pain couldnt look up or turn my neck for months !!!
    I had numerous medical statements to back up .

I also had a medical for the insurance company . was told that £2000 is the top end of a whiplash payment so £500 for a couple of weeks maybe about right .
    one think I have now learnt if you do have a bad whiplash your neck will never be 100% again . mine still plays up now on odd days 2.5 yrs on and still visit the oestopath for this !!!!

I did claim my full wages when I was off sick on top of payment. as I was on basic pay and lost alot of overtime my employer submitted evidence to back this up .

good luck
    If you like what I wrote
    please click the thankyou box :T
  • maisy think you offer is v much on the low side from what you say

i think a figure of 750 quid is v much top end for a few weeks injury would take 500 if they dont increase it
    Head of Personal Injury for a Law Firm In Manchester
  • ryandj
    ryandj Posts: 523 Forumite
    I got £1100. Their first offer was £1000 but I am of the thought that with bargaining you should never accept the first offer.

I had not a serious bit of whiplash, but the main problem was that I could not run for a few weeks and was in the build up to the London Marathon!
  • inkie
    inkie Posts: 2,609
    Mortgage-free Glee!
    Forumite
    On a similar line then, how much would you expect to receive when negligence is proved which results in # metatarsal and being in plaster for 10 weeks and off work 18 weeks? Still having problems with foot over 12 months since injury.
  • V_tricky
    V_tricky Posts: 468 Forumite
    inkie wrote: »
    On a similar line then, how much would you expect to receive when negligence is proved which results in # metatarsal and being in plaster for 10 weeks and off work 18 weeks? Still having problems with foot over 12 months since injury.

Too many variables really to be able to put a value based on a couple of sentances, but here's what the JSB Guidelines say. This is just for the PSLA (pain, suffering & loss of amenity) / general damages payment - loss of earnings would be on top

f) Moderate

Displaced metatarsal fractures resulting in permanent deformity and continuing symptoms. £8,150 to £14,500

(g) Modest

Simple metatarsal fractures, ruptured ligaments, puncture wounds and the like. Where there are continuing symptoms, such as a permanent limp, pain or aching, awards between £4,000 and £8,150 would be appropriate. Straightforward foot injuries such as fractures, lacerations, contusions etc. from which complete or near complete recovery is made would justify awards of £4,000 or less. Up to £8,150
    :smiley: All posts made are my own opinions and constitute neither professional advice nor the opinions of my employers :smiley:
  • V_tricky
    Just out of interest, Irish claims are dealt with very differently - I haven't looked at the value put in their book to see how they compare with English & Scottish claims, but it's interesting nonetheless:

http://www.piab.ie/pdf/BookofQuantum.pdf
    :smiley: All posts made are my own opinions and constitute neither professional advice nor the opinions of my employers :smiley:
  • 10 years ago, I had an accident where someone drove into the rear of my car whilst I was at traffic lights ... It took about 18 months and I was awarded £3000.

This year, unfortunately, I had a front end smash with a lorry in August (non-fault) and suffered a fair amount of whiplash and bruising (still suffering from neck and back problems). I've already had physio, numerous docs appointment and a private medical appointment so am currently waiting to hear from sols what they assess my claim at.
    :happylove Tori Bellatrix :happylove

.·:*¨¨*:·..·:*¨¨*:·..·:*¨¨*:·.
  • V_tricky
    10 years ago, I had an accident where someone drove into the rear of my car whilst I was at traffic lights ... It took about 18 months and I was awarded £3000.

This year, unfortunately, I had a front end smash with a lorry in August (non-fault) and suffered a fair amount of whiplash and bruising (still suffering from neck and back problems). I've already had physio, numerous docs appointment and a private medical appointment so am currently waiting to hear from sols what they assess my claim at.

It entirely depends on what the medical expert you visited for the report has said in their report - particularly with regard to your prognosis. This is why it is so important to tell them everything - how you have suffered - ie at work, at home, doing the decorating, picking up the kids, while driving, etc etc
  • agree re metatarsal what is the prognosis?

difficult to value whilst symptoms continue really
    Head of Personal Injury for a Law Firm In Manchester
  • V_tricky wrote: »
    It entirely depends on what the medical expert you visited for the report has said in their report - particularly with regard to your prognosis. This is why it is so important to tell them everything - how you have suffered - ie at work, at home, doing the decorating, picking up the kids, while driving, etc etc

I was completely honest with the medical expert and he was very understanding although I'm still waiting to see the report he wrote. I went through the same sort of thing 10 years ago although my injuries this time were worse.
    :happylove Tori Bellatrix :happylove

.·:*¨¨*:·..·:*¨¨*:·..·:*¨¨*:·.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family