PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Super Scrimpers

Comments

• luxor4t
    luxor4t Posts: 11,125 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    CupOfChai wrote: »
    ......Wasn't keen on that homemade cracker either, I'm sure you could make much nicer looking ones. And it didn't have a bang!

The HM crackers infuriated me - I'm all for 'as good or better' HM items, but crackers that don't crack? forget it! They looked like a nursery school effort, not from an adult.

I buy my crackers in January for around £1.25 a box. The carp inside is part of the fun - love the fortune fish and the little whistles etc.
    I can cook and sew, make flowers grow.
  • newgirly
    newgirly Posts: 8,928 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    The crackers were terrible I agree, and probably cost way more than a cheap supermarket box.
    2022 MFW 67 - 33 month challenge to clear mortgage, month 17 completed and and extra 2 knocked off 🙂MFI3 No.12
  • sarahg1969
    sarahg1969 Posts: 6,694 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Don't forget - don't waste that pea-sized piece of marzipan. Go out and buy three different bottles of food colouring, and you can make a single penguin cake decoration.

Honestly, I've never seen such crap in my life. They tell you stuff that everyone should already know, or show you how to save money by spending even more (on food colourings, almond oil, ribbons, spray paints or whatever), or show you real 'bargains' like £250 fur coats. Actually what I loved was the fact that the Duchess wore that designer dress at least 50 times; and she had a rack of them. She could save a bit by going out less!

And if I ever gave anyone a piece of cereal box for Christmas, they'd either think one of my children had made it at nursery, or probably never speak to me again.

My favourite ever was the home-made tomato ketchup, for which you only needed 6 large tomatoes and an entire afternoon in the kitchen. And you ended up with less than you get in a sachet at Morrison's cafe.

It's one of the most ludicrous programmes I've ever seen. Which is a shame; I feel it has potential.
  • THIRZAH
    THIRZAH Posts: 1,465 Forumite
    I had the same thought about the marzipan-I suppose it would be ok if you already had the food colouring but otherwise it would probably cost more than buying a ready made decoration.

We've made crackers in the past-from a kit which obviously cost more than scraps of crepe paper and toilet roll middles but at least they did go bang. I found that buying the little gifts for the middle cost quite a bit and was just one more thing to do at Christmas so now we buy crackers in January when they are reduced.

Why can't they come up with some decent ideas for crafts etc. The recipes are usually ok but I stopped making presents out of cereal packets when I left primary school.
  • i thought miss money penny looked a bit tipsy at the very end of the show ( after the party in the castle) lol
    Finally debt free, all thanks to this site and all the posters:j
  • karren
    karren Posts: 1,260 Forumite
    it was a load of drivel, crepe paper is expensive these days so unless lying around your better off in poundshop
    :A :j
  • Bennifred wrote: »
    You mean you don't??:eek:

I would darling but one is a bit too busy to go to many jumble sales selling Sharon osbournes clothes as one is too busy shooting deer on ones estate and having my hired help bake a rank looking pie....
    Best wins in 2013 £200 and Mini iPad. 2014 no wins. 2015 2 nights 5* hotel with £300 vouchers plus £1150 Harrods gift card
    Rehome an unwanted prize or gift with a seriously ill child through Postpals.co.uk
  • LutonGirl wrote: »
    I had to laugh at Lady PoshBird with her second hand fur coat and her top Xmas tips - use game from your grounds for a pie and a Christmas tree from the estate. I'm sure my local council will be thrilled when I start taking a tree from the estate...

I laughed out loud at this sooooooooo funny! :D

I have to agree with most of the comments here, I watch this programme but some of the tips are just ridiculous.
  • DianneB
    DianneB Posts: 884 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    I never waste pea sized bits of marzipan - I eat them!!
    Slightly bitter
  • Fruball
    Fruball Posts: 5,739 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Having read this thread I watched it knowing it would be a load of tosh and I wasn't disappointed!

It was indeed a load of tosh :D

However, it was funny and entertaining although I am not sure I learned anything that will help me save money this Christmas!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure