PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

dry sponge cake?

I wonder if someone could help?
My sponge cakes always comee out dry and hard. How do I avoid this? :confused:

Comments

• twink
    twink Posts: 3,827 Forumite
    are you baking your sponges for too long or at too high a temperature? this is mary berrys fast victoria sandwich

4oz soft marg
    4oz sugar
    2 lrge eggs, beaten
    4oz sr flour
    1 level tsp baking powder

oven 180oc or gas4,

two 7 inch sandwich tins, grease and line

mix all, beat two mins till blended and smooth, divide between the two tins

bake 25-30 mins, when the cake is cooked it will be a pale golden colour and the centre of the sponges will spring back when lightly pressed with your finger
    turn sponges onto a wire rack to cool then sandwich together
  • newleaf
    newleaf Posts: 3,132 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker PPI Party Pooper
    I use the above recipe too, but I make a double mixture and use deep sandwich tins as I like a BIG cake, I bake at the same temp but about 10 mins longer.
    Official DFW Nerd No 096 - Proud to have dealt with my debt!
  • belfastgirl23
    belfastgirl23 Posts: 8,025 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary I've been Money Tipped!
    It's probably the temp. Maybe your recipe is for regular oven and you're using fan assisted? I'd try turning it down a bit...
  • thriftlady_2
    thriftlady_2 Posts: 9,128 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    If you want to rescue a dry sponge try this. Stab the cake with a skewer in several places. Pour cold sweetened coffee over - not too much just enough to moisten. Then cover the cake with whipped cream spread over like icing.

some alcohol is a good addition too. You can experiment with other liquids too -lemon juice, orange juice.
  • Noctu
    Noctu Posts: 1,553 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    I have a fan assisted oven, but no instruction manual for it. It's a really quick, powerful oven - but as mentioned above, all my cakes end up dry!

What temperature would you bake a cake at in this oven, if the recipe calls for 180c in a regular oven?
  • sandieb
    sandieb Posts: 728 Forumite
    I bake my vicky sponges (3 egg version) in a fan assisted oven - I set the timer for 20 minutes at 160 degrees C. I check them with my kebab skewer which always comes out "clean" at this point. If necessary I can always leave for a few minutes more but normally they are fine. They are always moist.

My reasoning is to do them for less time and then add a few minutes more. If they overdo you can't reverse the procedure! (If you get what I mean)
  • sandieb
    sandieb Posts: 728 Forumite
    The following information which may help you was copied from
    http://www.hotpointshop.co.uk/hotpoint_cookers.htm

How should temperatures be adjusted for a fan oven?
    Fan ovens quickly reach temperature and transfer heat more efficiently so they can generally be set lower by 20C. Long cooking times can be shortened by up-to 10 minutes per hour but you must make sure that the food is cooked!

How do I find out which temperature to reduce to?
    Follow the conversion chart below

Conventional Oven /Gas Oven (Mark)/ Fan Oven
    250°F / 120°C 1/2 100°C
    275°F / 140°C 1 120°C
    300°F / 150°C 2 130°C
    325°F / 160°C 3 140°C
    350°F / 180°C 4 160°C
    375°F / 190°C 5 170°C
    400°F / 200°C 6 180°C
    425°F / 220°C 7 200°C
    450°F / 230°C 8 210°C
    475°F / 240°C 9 220°C
  • thriftlady_2
    thriftlady_2 Posts: 9,128 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Noctu wrote: »
    I have a fan assisted oven, but no instruction manual for it. It's a really quick, powerful oven - but as mentioned above, all my cakes end up dry!

What temperature would you bake a cake at in this oven, if the recipe calls for 180c in a regular oven?
    I have a fan oven (Neff circotherm to be exact) and I'd bake it at 160 ;)
  • Churchmouse
    Churchmouse Posts: 3,004 Forumite
    thriftlady wrote: »
    If you want to rescue a dry sponge try this. Stab the cake with a skewer in several places. Pour cold sweetened coffee over - not too much just enough to moisten. Then cover the cake with whipped cream spread over like icing.

some alcohol is a good addition too. You can experiment with other liquids too -lemon juice, orange juice.

:rotfl: :rotfl: :T :T :D:D

Now why am I not surprised? A girl after my own heart, there's very little that can't be rescued by a slug of alcohol:D
    You never get a second chance to make a first impression.
  • Noctu
    Noctu Posts: 1,553 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Thank you - now I just have to resist baking one... (see sig!)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure