Parking fine from UKPC (private company - not local authority!)

Comments

• peter_the_piper
    peter_the_piper Posts: 30,268 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Unfortunately there is no national parking appeals service which applies to PPC's and trading standards will not be in the least interested. The BPA are only a club for private parking companies and are not that interested in the public. There are legal eagles on the sites mentioned above who are only too willing to help people out. You will probably be advised to ignore them as nothing will come of it in the long run. This does not apply to police and council tickets which must be taken seriously but still can often be cancelled if you know how to go about it, this is where these sites can really be useful.
    I'd rather be an Optimist and be proved wrong than a Pessimist and be proved right.
  • Horace
    Horace Posts: 14,426 Forumite
    To be honest with you I get annoyed with people like the OP who choose to park in a disabled bays be they on private land or not when they are not disabled. It is not her right to park there - by doing so she has prevented an employee or whatever from going to work and attending to their business.

It is her responsibility to check for signage relating to parking times, whether or not clampers are in operation. Ignorance is no defence I am afraid nor is being pregnant.

I have a disability but I do not get DLA and do not have a blue badge and there is no way on this earth that I will ever park in a disabled bay - I am considerate towards those who are genuinely disabled.
  • I could not agree more with that and go out of my way to ensure I don't park in the wrong place. That does not, however, give the PPC the right to try and fool the public into paying extortionate amounts for transgressing. If the amount charged went in any way to the staff or disabled it would not be so bad. The money only goes into their pockets and does not help the disadvantaged. A local pub clamps non customers and the release fee of £20.00 goes to the local hospice, that at least is acceptable.
    I'd rather be an Optimist and be proved wrong than a Pessimist and be proved right.
  • Jez_Wolf
    Jez_Wolf Posts: 47 Forumite
    Horace - which law states that you need a blue badge to park in disabled spaces in a private car park?

Replying to these Private Parking Companies only encourages them to continue their threatening letters.

By replying, you are classed as a "hooked fish" who might pay up in the face of ever more ludicrous threatograms.
  • mpython
    mpython Posts: 3,677 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Jez_Wolf wrote: »
    Horace - which law states that you need a blue badge to park in disabled spaces in a private car park?

Commercial Contract Law you agreed to in using the private car park?

Anti Social Behaviour Orders?

Common Curtesy?

Disability Discrimination Act?
    From MSE Martin - Some General Tips On Holiday Home Organisations and Sales Meetings

DO NOT TOUCH ANY OF THEM WITH A BARGEPOLE!
  • maninthestreet
    maninthestreet Posts: 16,127 Forumite
    First Anniversary
    I don't think the Disability Act outlaws parking in a disabled parking space on private or even public land.
    "You were only supposed to blow the bl**dy doors off!!"
  • Jez_Wolf
    Jez_Wolf Posts: 47 Forumite
    Mpython - "Anti Social Behaviour orders" - please explain/expand

Also "Common curtesy" [sic] - is not a law as I understand it.

And re: Commercial Law - where is the consideration necessary to validate a contract?
  • mpython
    Combo Breaker First Post
    I don't think the Disability Act outlaws parking in a disabled parking space on private or even public land.

I disagree, I believe it applies to private & public organisations. RM accepted their culpability here.

s5000765jr1.th.jpg
    From MSE Martin - Some General Tips On Holiday Home Organisations and Sales Meetings

• mpython
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Jez_Wolf wrote: »
    Mpython - "Anti Social Behaviour orders" - please explain/expand

Also "Common curtesy" [sic] - is not a law as I understand it.

And re: Commercial Law - where is the consideration necessary to validate a contract?

Jez,

Anti-social behaviour orders canbe sought for all manner of ant-social behaviour, including parking in disabled bays.

Commerical law, see posts passum, there are plenty of examples people being taken to court by these companies. There are, of course ways to defend yourself - again see posts passum.

I'm not sure why you're questioning the law of common curtesy, what type of society do you want to live in? May I ask whether you think its acceptable for able bodied drivers to park in marked disabled driver bays - whether they've been provided by Tesco or the Council?

• Tozer
    Tozer Posts: 3,518 Forumite
    Some real nonsense being spouted on here.

Sarahg1969 is right.

As for the stuff about ASBOs? What? And "Commercial contract law"?

Disability discrimination does not apply as it is not a disabled person being discriminated against.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure