Charities board update
Please note, our Forum rules no longer allow the posting of links to personal fundraising or crowdfunding pages, such as JustGiving. You can read the full set of our Forum rules here.

help with volunteer age please

Good evening, I hope you can help, a friends daughter wants to help in he local charity shop but she's 12. Is there any rules saying what she can and can't do? Can she volunteer in a shop that young?
I've tried looking on line but all the legislation is about working or for profit organisations .
Many thanks for your time and help
The best portion of your life will be the small, nameless moments you spend smiling with someone who matters to you.

Comments

• Savvy_Sue
    Savvy_Sue Posts: 46,017 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    I'd expect a responsible 'employer' using young volunteers to follow similar guidelines to paid employment, so I'd be surprised if the charity shop would allow a 12 yo to volunteer. Not sure if there's any law against it, but I believe that if they were employing someone under school leaving age then they would have to register with the local authority.

I'm guessing that their insurance would not cover a 12 year old, for the reasons given above. The limitations on young people working are quite stringent in terms of no. of hours, time hours can be worked and what they can do, and it's all for good reason.
    Signature removed for peace of mind
  • welshbookworm
    welshbookworm Posts: 2,905 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Thank you, I didn't think she could do it, but as she was asking, I thought I would check.
    I'll suggest she goes to Guides or Scouts instead.
    The best portion of your life will be the small, nameless moments you spend smiling with someone who matters to you.
  • If she goes to Guides, she can volunteer to help with a local Brownie or Rainbow unit as well. At 12, she would be a pack leader, and from 13, she can be a young leader. Rainbows tend to meet for an hour a week andd Brownies usually meet for an hour and a half, altohugh it does vary between units.

More information from https://www.girlguiding.org.uk

https://www.guiders.co.uk has some forums that might give you more useful information.
  • DomRavioli
    DomRavioli Posts: 3,136 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    As it is unpaid work, there are no laws regarding age for it. You may find that there are insurance complications as its usually over 16s, but from a legal standpoint there are only rules for the number of hours worked at a time.
  • A bit late, but the age rules for young workers applies whether they are paid or unpaid.
    This does prove problematic for charity shops with schoolchildren wanting to work Sundays !
  • its v sweet of her to want to help though!
    :A
  • Katiehound
    Katiehound Posts: 7,539 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    For your information the minimum age for volunteering with the Blue Cross is 14 yo. I think this will probably be working with the animals rather than working in a shop.
    Being polite and pleasant doesn't cost anything! --
    Many thanks
    -Stash bust:in 2022:337
    Stash bust :2023. 120duvets, 24 bags, 43 dog coats, 2 scrunchies, 10 mittens, 6 bootees, 8 glass cases, 2 A6 notebooks, 59 cards, 6 lav bags,36 angels,9 bones, 1 knee blanket, 1 lined bag,3 owls, 88 pyramids = total 420 total spend £5. Total for 'Dogs for Good' £546.82

2024:23 Doggyduvets,26 pyramids, 6 hottie covers, 4 knit hats,13 crochet angels,1 shopper, 87cards=160 £86 spent!!!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure