PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

Does the landlord have to provide a cooker?

Hi All,

The other half and I are looking to rent a property and get everything ready in time for when little 'un is born. He went to view a property yesterday (i can't view it myself yet as i live at the other end of the country) and we've decided that we will go for it as it's in a good area.

The landlord/letting agency is advertising the property as unfurnihed, the house comes with a double bed, washing machine but no cooker.

Can they do this? We've seen the gas certificates to say its safe to install a cooker (which we have to pay for!) however im not sure of 2 things:
1) Is this allowed? Arn't there cetain facilities the landlord has to provide-and if so, shouldn't a cooker be one of those essential pieces of equipment?
2) Will this cause us problems if we want to move out? I've had bad experiences with letting agencies trying to rip me off, and dont want to put us in a situation which could cause extra hassle later on.

Please help.
Thanks.
p.s-not sure if this is on the wrong board, if so, please move. Cheers

Comments

• Astaroth
    Astaroth Posts: 5,444 Forumite
    No, for a private rent it can be rented with or without anything that you agree with the landlord... it is "bought as seen"

The main problem it will cause is the fact that you will end up with a cooker to take with you but the majority of places will come with one so what do you do with it? I had a private letting which didnt have a cooker or washing machine and so had to buy both. The next one had a cooker built in so I had to sell the one I had and only got a few quid for it. The next place had both a cooker and a washer and though the landlord agreed to take the washer out (as ours was much better) there were problems and so we had to come to the agreement that the landlord stored our washer for us (after all she was intending to store the one from the flat when it was originally agreed she would remove it)

It may be worth while coming to an agreement with the landlord of sharing the cost of purchasing one but that it will become the landlords property at the end of the tenancy on the condition that the tenancy isnt terminated by the landlord early.
    All posts made are simply my own opinions and are neither professional advice nor the opinions of my employers
    No Advertising or Links in Signatures by Site Rules - MSE Forum Team 2
  • thanks for this. I'll have a word with the agency and see what agreement we can come to.
  • clutton_2
    clutton_2 Posts: 11,149 Forumite
    although i am a landlady, this question is very interesting and i dont know the answer !! i have always let property with cookers. i seem to recall reading somewhere that a landlord has to provide certain basics - hot water, and maybe cooking facilities - i will call my professional landlords association later on and get back to you on this.
  • PoorDave
    PoorDave Posts: 952
    First Post
    Forumite
    It doesn't have to be let with one. I've let places without.

Suggestions would be you buy one and take it with you, or sell it privately, or sell to the landlord when you leave, OR get the landlord to buy one, but it will be their property when you leave the house/flat.

Does no harm to ask if they are willing to provide one. If it makes the difference between you taking the place and not then they might be willing.

If it's gas I suppose it will have to be fitted by a CORGI person, not just any old person, if you have supply for an electric one too (like my house does) then you can do it yourself if you have enough of an idea about electrics
    Annual income twenty pounds, annual expenditure nineteen nineteen and six, result happiness. Annual income twenty pounds, annual expenditure twenty pounds ought and six, result misery
  • amboy
    amboy Posts: 386
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    if it is gas then like the above post said yo would have to pay a corgi plumber to fit it for you, they would probably charge approx £30 - £40 to do it plus you have to buy the cooker, I have never let any places without a cooker I consider it an essential item to prospective tenants.

You could try and ask if the agency/landlord could use their plumber to fit it for free, if it is the deal clincher they probably would help out.
    My Shop Is Your Shop
  • real1314
    real1314 Posts: 4,432 Forumite
    PoorDave wrote:
    It doesn't have to be let with one. I've let places without.

Suggestions would be you buy one and take it with you, or sell it privately, or sell to the landlord when you leave, OR get the landlord to buy one, but it will be their property when you leave the house/flat.

Does no harm to ask if they are willing to provide one. If it makes the difference between you taking the place and not then they might be willing.

If it's gas I suppose it will have to be fitted by a CORGI person, not just any old person, if you have supply for an electric one too (like my house does) then you can do it yourself if you have enough of an idea about electrics

INAE but...
    You CAN'T fit an electric cooker yourself anymore. Part P of the Building Regs changed this in jan 05. There are lots of issues/variables with the load an electric cooker creates.
    The easiest thing is to have a gas cooker as most gas checks on a boiler will alos include a cooker without extra charge, but an electric cooker would need a seperate safety check (not actual law but strongly advisable)
  • clutton_2
    clutton_2 Posts: 11,149 Forumite
    tenants fitting their own gas applicances would be a real nightmare - is the landlord responsible for the safety of such appliances - under the "duty of care" or not ? A very tricky area. i would much rather put in a cooker and have it Corgi certificated and have peace of mind, than worry if my tenant had got jo-soap to fit it. If it blew up and injured someone, i cannot see the insurers being magnanimous and paying out on landlords insurance/public liability if there is a claim.
  • Joscar
    Joscar Posts: 139 Forumite
    We were advised by our letting agent to not supply a cooker as it is then the landlords responsibility for fitting and maintenance.

Their advise was the less there is in the house, the less there is to go wrong.

In fact we have asked previous tenants to take old cookers away so that we can let without one. ( We provided them with the number of the local council office so they can arrange a free collection after we asked the new tenant if they needed one in case they wish to buy it from the previous tenant)

We have always arranged the Corgi gas check in the first couple of days after a new tenant moves in so that out Corgi chap can check the installation is OK.
    HOW MUCH CAN YOU SAVE?: OLYMPIC CHALLENGE 2007
    BRONZE 10% SILVER 25% GOLD 50% PLATINUM 75%
    January 7%
    February 13%
    March 20%
    April 27%
    May 32%
    June 39%
    July 45%
    August 54%
    September 62%
    October 68%
  • VickyA_2
    VickyA_2 Posts: 4,533
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite
    My parents have a rental property and from the start have ensured that it has a cooker, even though it is let as "unfurnished". They feel that it's their basic duty to supply one for the tenants.......

OH and I rented a property that came without a cooker, but the previous tenant sold hers onto us (because she'd bought it for that property), and we sold it onto the next tenants..............
    Sealed Pot Challenge #021 #8 975.71 #9 £881.44 #10 £961.13 #11 £782.13 #12 £741.83 #13 £2135.22 #14 £895.53 #15 £1240.40 #16 £1805.87 declared
  • code-a-holic
    code-a-holic Posts: 1,360 Forumite
    I have never rented anywhere with a cooker. alwya been a electric cooker needed in each property. Rented a council house at one point and they dont come with a cooker either.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure