PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

Can i sell my house to the council?

hi all,

i'm having problems selling my home. ie. getting people looking at the place. seeing as the country's population who are dependant on the welfare state is increasing, the council must surely need more homes to house these people.

is there a specific department i can contact in the council that deals with buying homes?

anyone sold there place to the council?

Comments

• zebidee1
    zebidee1 Posts: 991 Forumite
    edited 10 May 2011 at 11:07AM
    On a more serious note........I suspect different councils will have different policies so you would really need to check with your own local one.....but our council will (depending on their stock levels which are quite low just now since so many people bought their council house) rent a private house out to tenants as if it were their own and maintain it etc whilst paying you rent in the process. Maybe you could consider this as an option?

Of course this depends on council need, the size of the house, where it is etc.

They have also in the past, bought back properties that were previously council owned but I have no idea if any other type of privately owned house would be considered or not.

As I said, not all councils have the same policies so you'd be best contacting yours directly just to query. It never hurts to ask even if the answer is no. I'm sure the switchboard will direct you to the correct department.
  • PasturesNew
    PasturesNew Posts: 70,698 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    I think, in some instances, individual housing associations may be interested in buying houses from people.... however, if they were really interested they'd have registered that interest with estate agents already I'd have thought.

I think you'd have more chance contacting local housing associations.

But don't hold out much hope.

If your house isn't selling then try dropping the price. After all, even if you did find a "nice easy sell" with a housing association type of organisation, it wouldn't be at the optimistic price your estate agent flew yours into the market with.
  • Agree with PN ...... pretty sure that most Councils are looking to offload any existing housing they have (if it's not already sold under RTB), rather than take on any more.

The shift is towards payment of HB rather than provision of housing, which is horrendously expensive and troublesome to maintain.
    Warning ..... I'm a peri-menopausal axe-wielding maniac ;)
  • If the OP could post a link to his/her house on Rightmove or the estate agent's website I'm sure people will comment on why it's not attracting any viewers.
  • I think, in some instances, individual housing associations may be interested in buying houses from people.... however, if they were really interested they'd have registered that interest with estate agents already I'd have thought.

I think you'd have more chance contacting local housing associations.

But don't hold out much hope.

If your house isn't selling then try dropping the price. After all, even if you did find a "nice easy sell" with a housing association type of organisation, it wouldn't be at the optimistic price your estate agent flew yours into the market with.

I did this when I was looking to sell. They asked what it had been valued at, and then offered me exactly half.

It sold within 2 days so I didn't give it much thought, but don't expect the HA route to be at market value ;)
    :A MSE's turbo-charged CurlyWurlyGirly:A
    ;)Thinks Naughty Things Too Much Clique Member No 3, 4 & 5 ;)
  • Most councils are dumping their housing stock, not taking on more, although sometimes they will lease your house to rent to tenants.

I don't think you have much of a chance really.

Have you been told why no-one is interested in your house? Usually it's because they are priced too highly.
    (AKA HRH_MUngo)
    Member #10 of £2 savers club
    Imagine someone holding forth on biology whose only knowledge of the subject is the Book of British Birds, and you have a rough idea of what it feels like to read Richard Dawkins on theology: Terry Eagleton
  • *Louise*
    *Louise* Posts: 9,197 Forumite
    My place is on the market, and I had a buyer for the council view it the other day, I didn't contact them though, they were registered with my local EA, who referred my place to them.

Our council can't get any more land to build on, so they are buying a lot of properties...every area will be different...
    Cross Stitch Cafe member No. 3
    2012 170-194 2013 195-207.Hello Kitty ballerina 208.AVA 209.OLIVIA 210.ELLA 211.CARLA 212.LOUISE 213.CHARLEY 214.Mother & Child 215.Stop Faffing Completed 2014 216.Stitchers Sampler. 217.Let Them Be Small 218.Keep Calm 219. Ups and downs 220. Annniversary piece 221. 2x Teachers gifts 222. Peacock 223. Tooth Fairy 224. Beth Birth pic 225. Circe the Sorceress Cards x 24
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure