Dog Racing 1p Meal Deal

1p Meals at various race tracks please see link for tracks and to receive voucher

http://www.1pmealdeal.com/

:beer:

Comments

• I am all for a bargain BUT this is one deal that I would beg people not to go for.

These cheapy 1p deals are the dog racing industry's desperate attempts to keep their tracks going.

There is so much cruelty in the racing industry, dogs neglected, starved, left with untreated injuries, shot, ears cut off to hide tattoos etc.

I have been involved with rescue work for years and some of the sights I have seen would make you weep.

I was going to post some links, but i don't want to give anyone nightmares. If you search "greyhound cruelty" on google or you tube you will find more info.

My own dog was going to be shot by his racing owner just because he was "too slow". Another dog we rescued had been sliced open the length of her body after being knocked into the wire that pulls the hare.

I have been to dog tracks and seen dogs fall & break their legs and their backs and be carried off screaming. It is heart breaking and I wouldn't recomend taking kids to see it.

Look closely at most rescued greyhounds and they have many scars including broken & amputated toes due to racing injuries. frown.gif

The dog tracks wil tell you that all the dogs are found loving homes, but speak to your local animal rescue centres and they will tell you a diferent story!
    I know all the shelters near me constantly have greyhounds that have been horribly neglected.

Sorry to go on, but if you are an animal lover, please, please give this one a miss!

Thank you!
    MM x
    "I expect to pass through this world but once. Any good, therefore, that I can do or any kindness I can show to any fellow creature, let me do it now. Let me not defer or neglect it for I shall not pass this way again."

Stephen Grellet, (1773-1855).
  • As I do not go to dog racing the info given I didn't know, if anyone else feels strongly about this,let me know and I will get this thread deleted.
  • i used to now someone who kept and raced greyhounds and he treated his dogs very well think it's only a small minority that mistreat
    :confused::confused::confused:
  • TaBunny
    TaBunny Posts: 1,831 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    excellent stuff can't wait to go top spot, I've been going the dogs for years and have never ever witnessed any cruelty infact our local track lets you inspect the dogs before and after racing if you so wish,
    :p
  • LesD wrote: »
    And, of course, sermons about animal cruelty have no place on a money-saving board!

What would have been helpful, though, is more info on what the deal actually covers.

Anyone got the whole story?

It was not really a sermon was it, I totally understand where mutley muppet is coming from and they are entitled to their opinion, I wouldnt go to dog racing because of the reasons stated by Mutley and the state of some greyhounds I have seen in rescue centres, but that is my opinion and I do belive this is a free country and everyone is entitled to an opinion so please dont slate people for that. :o
  • LesD
    LesD Posts: 2,111 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Daisymac wrote: »
    It was not really a sermon was it, I totally understand where mutley muppet is coming from and they are entitled to their opinion, I wouldnt go to dog racing because of the reasons stated by Mutley and the state of some greyhounds I have seen in rescue centres, but that is my opinion and I do belive this is a free country and everyone is entitled to an opinion so please dont slate people for that. :o

Sorry, I deleted the message as I found the info I wanted.

However, I still feel it was a sermon and and needs to be moved elsewhere.
  • lisyloo
    lisyloo Posts: 29,610 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    And, of course, sermons about animal cruelty have no place on a money-saving board!

I disagree.

Exploitation of not only animals but humans sometimes goes hand in hand with moneysaving.
    If people want to discuss then that's fine by me.

If you aren't interested in the moral aspects of your purchases, then fine, don't read it.
  • I've just checked out this offer and its great VFM.

I DO go greyhound racing and I object to the constant diatribe and spin spouted by animal rights activists without any substance whatsoever.

The animal rights brigade (which will be a miniority by the way) get a disporoprtionate amount of media voice because they sensationalise everything.

They distort the truth, with pictures more than 30 years old and not even from the UK. Even the story they push about David Smith from Seaham is distorted, he was putting to sleep domestic animals for the police and local authority - no mention of that though is there.

Fact - there is a difference between a rescued dog (eg what the RSPCA do with labradors and spaniels et al) and a retired dog.
    Fact - most greyhounds are happily retired, Not abandoned, rescued or slaughtered.
    Yes i'm angry - I love a night at the dogs and I look after two retired chaps at home.
    Muttley is exactly what he calls her/himself - a muppet:T
  • lisyloo
    lisyloo Posts: 29,610 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    I'm an animal lover and we do financially support a greyhound rescue charity.
    However I'm also pretty sure that if racing was abandoned by lots of people that there would be more abandoned and mistreated dogs from SOME of the owners.

So whilst I love dogs and don't like cruelty, I'm not convinced that putting the industry out of business would help.
    Short term it would make things massively worse.
  • I've just checked out this offer and its great VFM.

I DO go greyhound racing and I object to the constant diatribe and spin spouted by animal rights activists without any substance whatsoever.

The animal rights brigade (which will be a miniority by the way) get a disporoprtionate amount of media voice because they sensationalise everything.

They distort the truth, with pictures more than 30 years old and not even from the UK. Even the story they push about david smith from seaton is distorted, he was putting to sleep domestic animals for the police and local authority - no mention of that though is there.

Fact - there is a difference between a rescued dog (eg what the RSPCA do with labradors and spaniels et al) and a retired dog.
    Fact - most greyhounds are happily retired, Not abandoned, rescued or slaughtered.
    Yes i'm angry - I love a night at the dogs and I look after two retired chaps at home.
    Muttley is exactly what he calls her/himself - a muppet:T

"putting to sleep" read killing with a bolt gun upto 10,000 healthy dogs. A vast number of greyhounds who were past their prime (4years +) and were not needed for financial gain. He was also charged and found guilty of disposing of their bodies on his land. This is not a new or isolated practice. Trainers have also been convicted of involvement in this type of thing.

Thousands of greyhounds enter the industry every year thus thousands leave. the strange thing is that thousands that leave are left un accounted for.

I wonder where they end up :rolleyes:

Just because they dont shoot them straight after the race, smell the coffee.

Grabbit it may be, you decide if its one you really want at the expense of these animals. if you want to make up your own mind, just spend 5 minutes on google and you will see what this plank thinks is of "no substance".

definatley not for me.
    http://www.guardian.co.uk/uk/2007/feb/16/ukcrime.animalwelfare
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family