'Don't throw bank statements away after six years' blog discussion

This is the discussion to link on the back of Martin's blog. Please read the blog first, as this discussion follows it.

Please click 'post reply' to discuss below.

Comments

• I have fallen foul of this. I had a credit card with Alliance and Leicester a number of years ago and PPI was put on it without my permission. Since then the account was transferred to Santander and then MBNA and I had undergone a number of house moves so all unnecessary paperwork was shredded and binned.

A simple letter and one stamp later MBNA had refunded me the PPI which fell under their jurisdiction but Santander were not so forthcoming. Even with account numbers and details gladly given to me by MBNA, Santander did not have any record as it was over 7 years ago. They were more than willing to process a refund if I could provide copies of the statements but obviously I could not! A very costly mistake I shall not be making again.
  • CRISPIANNE3
    CRISPIANNE3 Posts: 1,471
    First Anniversary First Post Photogenic Name Dropper
    Forumite
    I am with Lloyds and my online statements go back to July 2002 so storage is not a problem for me.
  • jamesperrett
    jamesperrett Posts: 1,009
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    Forumite
    I wonder if anyone has gone as far back as 1983? I took a loan for a car then and was told that I wouldn't be accepted unless I had PPI. Just have to see if I have any paperwork...
  • anyone know what Goldfish transferred to
  • derrick
    derrick Posts: 7,420
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Forumite
    tricia2673 wrote: »
    anyone know what Goldfish transferred to

Barclaycard.

Don`t steal - the Government doesn`t like the competition

• Sooler
    Sooler Posts: 3,108
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    I am with Lloyds and my online statements go back to July 2002 so storage is not a problem for me.

You still need to download and keep your own copies, in case the bank removes older ones after a certain time.
  • Sooler
    Sooler Posts: 3,108
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    Keep a scanned copy of all paperwork - shred the original.
  • Figgerty
    Figgerty Posts: 473 Forumite
    I have never taken out PPI nor had a packaged bank account because they did not suit my situation. Why have so many people fallen for the sales hype and not checked if the supposed benefits would really benefit them. What are you buying today that you are not investigating properly before entering a contract to buy. I turned down several offers of buying PPI over the years and in one instance went to a different bank for a car loan because of hardselling on PPI.

How much has PPI mis selling cost us all?
    Some Burke bloke quote: all it takes for evil to triumph is for good men to say nothing. :silenced:
  • My mother used to drive me mad by keeping all her bank statements, as far back as the 60's when the Midland Bank was still going! I used to do all her banking and pay her bills so I kept them all in order in files and this was such a godsend because when she died two of my sisters said that they had been giving my mother money each month for many years and that she promised to pay them back out of the sale of her house when she died. They didn't bank (pardon the pun!) on me having all her statements to disprove this which also included details of my mother giving THEM money!
    I have kept all mine and I am also about to go down the PPI route.
  • What lovely sisters you have there!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport