Online Butchers

Comments

• LynT_2
    LynT_2 Posts: 66 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    I have used Campbellsmeat, good quality, quick delivery, comes fresh so can be split and frozen, have different offers on each month.
  • birmingham meat and fish market a place for bargains galore, u walk out there with everything you want and more as they are so good value
  • I've used Black Tie Foods and they were great. The meat wasn't particularly cheap but they were huge cuts - the chicken breasts were big enough for 2 people and were lovely quality.
  • hex2
    hex2 Posts: 4,736 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    clarebarry.co.uk have done very well for me, better than supermarket not as good as my top quality local butcher.
    'If you have a garden and a library, you have everything you need' Marcus Tullius Cicero
  • Okay... very negative... but I always make them the same size... it's to do with the added water inside the meat and the other rubbish at the supermarkets etc etc!

Plus the butchers meatballs were more filling... and as we have them regularly we should know!

Try the same with pork chops and chicken!

How can you judge if you are not willing to try!

:T Absolutely agree! I only ever buy my meat from the local butcher these days. Their chicken breasts are double the size of supermarket ones, with no added water, fabulous taste and yet they cost less.

Meatballs and burgers are packed with meat - not bread, rusk and other fillers - so they don't shrink when cooked and because of the density of protein, you need to eat less of them to feel satisfied.
    Living with Lupus is like juggling with butterflies
  • As a repeat customer of Douglas Willis butchers I have been sent a £5 discount voucher to spend during Sept, I thought I would share it with you guys as I don't think it is restricted as far as who can use it!

put in SEPT£5OFF at the checkout and get £5 off - its like getting free delivery!

It is only valid until the end of the month though :)

Rach.
  • joeyboy
    joeyboy Posts: 256 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    rachelrees wrote: »
    As a repeat customer of Douglas Willis butchers I have been sent a £5 discount voucher to spend during Sept, I thought I would share it with you guys as I don't think it is restricted as far as who can use it!

put in SEPT£5OFF at the checkout and get £5 off - its like getting free delivery!

It is only valid until the end of the month though :)

Rach.

sorry to bump this...

Did you try other online butchers at all? Our local has gone down-hill badly for some reason and the other is a Halal butcher which means...no pork..sausages..bacon.., the horror!:(

So anyway I've been looking at online alternatives for when we want to treat ourselves. Donald Russell seems very dear compared to the others, even some of it's special offers don't make it the cheaper choice(bar one they have on now). Also I'd sort of prefer I didn't get frozen meat and had the choice as of what to do with it.

So I've had a look at others which seem to be highly rated. Mettrick and sons is one, voted best online butcher in 09. It looks pretty good. Another obviously is Douglas Willis, finally there's Broadstripe butchers. Douglas sausages are much cheaper(though I think it's a special offer), Mettricks is cheaper for some things(mince for example).

I suppose I should slowly try them all...I just can't make my mind up. Have you got any experience with the other two I mentioned?
  • If you would like to find out what makes a good butcher as well as learn some money saving tips about cheaper cuts of meat i would recommend Hugh Fearnley-Whittingstall's River Cottage Meat book.

Try your local library. Usually tv chefs books are crap but this has a real depth of knowledge.

With meat you definitely get what you pay for! With a few exceptions the butchers mentioned in this thread tend to be cheaper and so are relatively less reliable on the history/pedigree/maturing of their meat which all affect taste. :)

My advice would be to use one of the butchers below. They are more expensive but tend to win stars at the "Great Taste Awards" (the only real independent food awards of merit imho).
    For example blackface.co.uk/awards

If on a budget buy the cheaper cuts and eat less but better quality meat from these places. The meat boxes are more cost effective than buying individual cuts.

Excellent online butchers:

blackface

graigfarm

rhug

laverstock park

sheepdrove

wellhungmeat

macbeths.com

sjfrederick.co.uk
  • PhilCCFC
    PhilCCFC Posts: 355 Forumite
    I have also stopped buying meat from supermarkets because of the poor quality, and have started using my local butchers - Cowards of Frodsham. Great value and excellent quality. I bought 5lb of lean mince, 3lb of pork mince, 3lb of locally reared pork sausages, 5lb of stewing steak, 5lb of chicken breasts(11 in total) and a lovely beef joint for roasting...came to just shy of £50. The freezer is now crammed with home made ready meals, 2 huge lasagnes for bommy night and halloween plus a huge steak and ale pie for bommy night. Yum!
    They say that football is a religion, if this is true I worship at the Exacta Stadium, Chester
  • Thanks for your reply joeyboy, no I haven't tried anyone other than Donald Russell and Douglas Willis. Once I'd tried Douglas Willis I was happy with the product, delivery and price so I have stuck to them.

yes, they have a special offer on all their sausages at the moment (I have just received their weekly newsletter). Their pork & leek variety is most tasty :)

Let me know if you try the others what you think.

Rach.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport