Do we need to declare our extra earnings?

In order to make a bit of extra cash, my husband and I rent 3 vending machines out to two offices where we each work.

We pay VAT on the rental fee to the guy who we loan the machines from, but choose not to charge any rent to the offices where the machines are located. We were under the impression that as we were personally 'absorbing' these fees ourselves there would be no need to declare this to HMRC.

We pay for our own stock which we purchase from Bargain Stores and then recoup any income

We did not think we would need to declare this as we receive no benefits and are both in work with an income of circa 45k to the household.

In light of the recent news about the couple who sold at car boot sales being prosecuted, we would like some advice as to whether we need to declare this extra income anywhere?

We pay 56 pounds pw rent on 3 machines and are recouping approx 130 pounds pw.

Thanks

Comments

• VfM4meplse
    VfM4meplse Posts: 34,269
    Combo Breaker First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Forumite
    Toppoll wrote: »
    We did not think we would need to declare this as we receive no benefits and are both in work with an income of circa 45k to the household.
    If it's income, it needs to be declared.

May I be the first to welcome you to the world of self-assessment :D.
    Value-for-money-for-me-puhleeze!

"No man is worth, crawling on the earth"- adapted from Bob Crewe and Bob Gaudio

Hope is not a strategy :D...A child is for life, not just 18 years....Don't get me started on the NHS, because you won't win...I love chaz-ing!
  • Toppoll
    Toppoll Posts: 5 Forumite
    If that is the case, would you advise we just do it as Joe Public or would it be more advantageous to start up a Partnership or Limited company for any perks, as we are looking to purchase a machine in the near future to avoid the weekly rental fees.

Thanks
  • billsavings
    billsavings Posts: 2,015 Forumite
    How long have you been trading ?
  • Toppoll
    Its been 11 months at the end of July
  • soolin
    soolin Posts: 72,034
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Ambassador
    Its been 11 months at the end of July

Ouch, you may well find you have fines and penalty charges to pay- it might be worth talking to an acccountant.
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the eBay, Auctions, Car Boot & Jumble Sales, Boost Your Income, Praise, Vents & Warnings, Overseas Holidays & Travel Planning , UK Holidays, Days Out & Entertainments boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know.. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com.All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
  • Get an accountant as you should have declared it 8 months ago and don't set up as a limited company as for what you are doing there would be no perks. A partnership may be good though as you can split the profit in half between you. If you both already work then you extra income is likely to be due tax on it so be prepared to grovel to the tax man because they don't take kindly to tax avoidance. If you are on benefits then you will need to get grovelling to them too as you will have been paid too much. Sorry to sound harsh but as someone who is self employed I don't like when people think they can earn extra money and not pay tax or still get paid by the government.
  • shmeeko69
    shmeeko69 Posts: 392 Forumite
    In order to make a bit of extra cash, my husband and I rent 3 vending machines out to two offices where we each work.

We pay VAT on the rental fee to the guy who we loan the machines from, but choose not to charge any rent to the offices where the machines are located. We were under the impression that as we were personally 'absorbing' these fees ourselves there would be no need to declare this to HMRC.

We pay for our own stock which we purchase from Bargain Stores and then recoup any income

In light of the recent news about the couple who sold at car boot sales being prosecuted, we would like some advice as to whether we need to declare this extra income anywhere?

We pay 56 pounds pw rent on 3 machines and are recouping approx 130 pounds pw.

Thanks

Any extra income that you're bringing in has to be declared or you will eventually get a nasty surprise letter or even visit from the taxman. He always has to be paid regardless of what you're doing or it could come back and haunt you in the long run.
    Lao Tzu - "Give a man a fish and feed him for a day, teach a man to fish and feed him for a lifetime"

Derek Bok - "If you think education is expensive, try ignorance"
  • Toppoll
    Thank you all for your advice. It certainly hasn't been a deliberate attempt to fleece the taxman or to do anything wrong. It's just been a genuine attempt to see how successful it would be and whether or not it would be worthwhile.

I've been in touch with a friend who knows an accountant, and we'll be looking to officially make it a sideline business.
    :)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport