Wireless Internet without a Fixed Landline

2»

Comments

• Stuart_W
    Stuart_W Posts: 1,719
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Forumite
    Never knew that. What legislation is this under? Does it mean it's illegal to run an insecure wireless network and if so, what is considered 'secure'?

Many apologies. It was illegal until legislation in July 2003 actually theoretically permits broadband connection sharing - but it is down to individual ISPs as to whether they want to permit it in their own terms and conditions. May be worth asking your ISP whether they allow it.
  • Thanks Stuart_W. I'm not thinking of sharing my connection but usually see several unsecured networks when I look. I just wondered if they were breaking the law (as well as being stupid!)
  • Forgetful
    Forgetful Posts: 1,729 Forumite
    here in Mancester u can get interet access without the need of a telephone line.
    Its called Eastserve.
    I would highly recomend it...althougth I personally do not use it anymore on teh basis it restricted me on my usage cos i download a lot.

Basically u get an aeriel fitted to the roof of ur house just like a tv ariel and the line coming from it is plugged into the back of ur pc which they come anf fit and very cheap.
  • balt
    balt Posts: 308 Forumite
    Three are introducing a wireless modem for use anywhere, plugs into usb. £10 for 1Gb
    £15 3Gb
    £25 7Gb

Might be worth a look if you are desperate!
    Modem is free if you hurry on 15 and above.
    Just noticed this post
    http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.html?t=539855
  • ormus
    ormus Posts: 42,714 Forumite
    eastserve wireless BB only serves east manchester, around the new mcfc stadium area.
    and its expensive at 20 quid per month for 1 mb service.
    (installation is free though).
    Get some gorm.
  • balt wrote: »
    Three are introducing a wireless modem for use anywhere, plugs into usb. £10 for 1Gb
    £15 3Gb
    £25 7Gb

Might be worth a look if you are desperate!
    Modem is free if you hurry on 15 and above.
    Just noticed this post
    http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.html?t=539855

Just wanted to add for anyone who claimed a free 3g card with their centrino laptops in the past (whether HSPDA or UMTS or other type) from Vodafone ...aka...me,me,me, you can in fact ring Vodafone Customer Services up to request a contract - the advantages are:-

1) You get to use the Vodafone network (I have checked this works for me)
    2) Vodafone have discounted it for me based on £15 3gb allowance from 3
    3) You can sign up to a 12 month contract instead of 3's 18 month
  • thebyp
    thebyp Posts: 245
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    Never knew that. What legislation is this under? Does it mean it's illegal to run an insecure wireless network and if so, what is considered 'secure'?

Its not illegal to run an insecure network, however it IS illegal to access somebody else's network without their direct authority. Yes people have been arrested for it as well:

http://www.guardian.co.uk/crime/article/0,,2154015,00.html
  • penge
    penge Posts: 20 Forumite
    TNG wrote: »
    that's strange. i'm not far from there and that's who I'm with. i thought they did most of Middlesex...

I thought the same thing recently, because i was with MyNow and they terminated my service saying that it was due to coverage reduction and yet my friend who lives up the road can still get it. Mmm ... t'is strange indeed.
  • Ihatecameron
    Ihatecameron Posts: 406 Forumite
    Yes, if you have a wifi enabled laptop, you can now get wireless access from O2 and you do not need a landline. It works on a dongle that uses a sim card. The dongle costs £20 and you can top up the sim as you would on PAYG on a mobile phone. 1gb costs £7 at the moment which is more than enough access time for internet use for a month.
    The only drawback is if you do not use 1gb within a month, you can't carry it over to the next month. Basically it costs £7 quid per calendar month, if you top up 3 weeks into a month, that means you have the remainder of the month to use 1gb, from that perspective its a bit of a con but still far cheaper than standard broadband. Swings and roundabouts. ;)
  • jhp
    jhp Posts: 2,342 Forumite
    Yes, if you have a wifi enabled laptop, you can now get wireless access from O2 and you do not need a landline. It works on a dongle that uses a sim card. The dongle costs £20 and you can top up the sim as you would on PAYG on a mobile phone. 1gb costs £7 at the moment which is more than enough access time for internet use for a month.
    The only drawback is if you do not use 1gb within a month, you can't carry it over to the next month. Basically it costs £7 quid per calendar month, if you top up 3 weeks into a month, that means you have the remainder of the month to use 1gb, from that perspective its a bit of a con but still far cheaper than standard broadband. Swings and roundabouts. ;)

Why have you have dug up a thread nearly 4 years old ?

Dongles are available from many suppliers not just O2.;)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure