Nursery charges - a few questions

Hi all,
I am in a bit of a quandry and wonder if others would be so kind as to share their experiences by answering the following questions for me.

1. How much does your nursery charge for your year old child per day?
2. Do you get charged for bank holidays even though the nursery doesn't open?
3. Do you get charged if the nursery closes for a period of holiday e.g: christmas week?

I'm sure I have a number of other questions but answers to these to start with may help me decide whether to ask the next lot!

Thanks for your responses in advance
Good Enough Club member number 27(2) AND I got me a stalkee!
Closet debt free wannabe -[STRIKE] Last personal loan payment - July 2010[/STRIKE]:T, credit card balance about £3000 (and dropping FAST), [STRIKE]Last car payment September 2010 (August 2010 aparently!!)[/STRIKE]
And a mortgage in a pear tree :D

Comments

• jackomdj
    jackomdj Posts: 3,073
    First Anniversary First Post
    Forumite
    sorry I can't remember how much - it just comes out of my salary (salary sacrifice so taken before tax & NI) & I am part time & pay for 2 with sibling discount too.

However we do get a credit for bank holidays & xmas time - although we sometimes have to chase HO about it!

HTH
    Nicky
  • Hi morty

i live just outside M25 so maybe an expensive area but my 18 month year old is in the baby room - 3 mounths to 2 years - and my charges for this year are £49.50 8 - 5.30 snacks but no lunch.

We don't pay when the nursery is shut - bank holidays or chirstmas etc - but must give one months notice not to pay our selves, therefore pay for sick days for example.

I know in our area that £50 a day is about right and child minders are cheaper.

Feel free to ask any more questions - also have a 4 year old who has done it all and about to start school on Thurs but we won't talk about that!!!:(
  • brummiebabe
    brummiebabe Posts: 1,894 Forumite
    Hi - I've got 3 children who've all been to nursery!!

I'm in South Birmingham - pay £30 per day for upto 2 year old (shortly due to go down to £28 per day once she's 2!)

This does not include food/nappies (although they do provide fruit/snacks, sun cream in summer etc!)

We do pay for Bank Holidays (I have no objections - it's a business & I wouldn't be happy if I didn't get paid for my B/H) but we do not pay for the week or so they're shut between christmas & new year!

We also get 2 weeks holiday per year - which we don't have to pay for.

At my old nursery it was £35 per day (although nappies/food were included) and you paid 52 weeks of the year!!!!!

Once they're 3, they get a term-time grant (my nursery lets me spread the discount over the whole year)

Any other queries....just ask
    20p Saver Club #33 60p/£100
    Christmas Saving £0/£1300

Saving Target 2014 £25/£1000
  • I'm in Havering and pay £35 a day - 8.30-6.00, this includes three meals.

I pay for Bank Holidays and Christmas closure! Felt this was unfair but as it was the only one I liked and felt happy with, I decided to go for it.

Good luck!
  • Woby_Tide
    Woby_Tide Posts: 5,344
    Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Forumite
    Dorset £35 I think though discount of 10% as we've two there, no food/nappies. Don't pay for bank holidays and get 2 weeks 'holiday' per year on top of 1 xmas closure
  • onlyroz
    onlyroz Posts: 17,661
    First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Forumite
    My Berkshire nursery is £760 a month for 9am-4pm care. You can pay more for 8am-6pm care but I can't afford that. The nursery is closed for 6 weeks a year, which we don't pay for - but the cost is spread evenly throughout the year so we pay the same amount each month.
  • sooz
    sooz Posts: 4,560 Forumite
    Morty_007 wrote: »
    Hi all,
    I am in a bit of a quandry and wonder if others would be so kind as to share their experiences by answering the following questions for me.

1. How much does your nursery charge for your year old child per day? £65 per day from 8am til 6pm Breakfast, lunch, tea & snacks, but you had to take in your own nappies.
    2. Do you get charged for bank holidays even though the nursery doesn't open? Yes
    3. Do you get charged if the nursery closes for a period of holiday e.g: christmas week? Only closed for 2 weeks per year, 1 at Easter & 1 at Christmas. And yes, we paid for these weeks too

I'm sure I have a number of other questions but answers to these to start with may help me decide whether to ask the next lot!

Thanks for your responses in advance

This was in London (but not central), & the prices were from 3 years ago. They went up every term too, so it's almost certainly over £70 now. Once no. 2 came along, a childminder was much better value.
  • sooz wrote: »
    This was in London (but not central), & the prices were from 3 years ago. They went up every term too, so it's almost certainly over £70 now. Once no. 2 came along, a childminder was much better value.

Can I just ask, would a childminder have been better value when you had your first child, and if so, why did you choose a nursery?

I only ask as I'm a childminder and often get phone calls from parents wanting spaces AFTER their child has been in nursery. Usually there is some sort of problem and they want to change care. Having said that, I've never had a parent take their child away and send it to nursery, unless it was just prior to starting school.
  • flea72
    flea72 Posts: 5,392
    First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Forumite
    Can I just ask, would a childminder have been better value when you had your first child, and if so, why did you choose a nursery?

I only ask as I'm a childminder and often get phone calls from parents wanting spaces AFTER their child has been in nursery. Usually there is some sort of problem and they want to change care. Having said that, I've never had a parent take their child away and send it to nursery, unless it was just prior to starting school.

I think its because, when you first have a child you feel a bit more protective, and tend to think that there is safety in numbers. ie, you think that if your child was not happy/being mistreated at a nursery, there is always another member of staff who could step in, and also theres a sort of big brother thing going on. whereas with a childminder, there is no-one else around to see how your child is being treated.

then after a while at a nursery, you realise your child is just a number, and they arent getting much one to one care, and the atmosphere is quite clinical. Thats when you change to a childminder, as you actually feel that a homely environment is best for your child.

Also cost does come into it a bit. With one child you can afford £40 a day for a nursery. when you have two kids, a childminder works out a lot less, and as said before, you arent so precious with your children after the first one, and youre now more swayed by cost, than the perceived care your child will get

Flea
  • We're in Sussex and pay £45 a day including meals, snacks and nappies 8am-6pm. It gets cheaper as they get older - for babies I think it's about £50. We do pay for bank holidays and when we're away on holiday, but the nursery is open every of the year day except bank holidays. They also put the prices up by loads every year!

All the nurseries in this area seemed to charge a similar rate when I looked around. Or if the day rate is cheaper, they are only open until 5.30, or don't provide meals.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure