Felt backed carpet underlay or not?

Options
I am having a felt backed carpet fitted in a bedroom. It can be used with or without underlay. Has anyone used it without underlay and how is it? Thank you in advance.

Comments

• rich_jtg
    rich_jtg Posts: 316 Forumite
    Options
    Depends how luxurious you like your carpets really.

We have it in a couple of rooms, and feel it's fine. Not as much 'spring' as the carpeted rooms we have with underlay though.
  • daisyrose
    daisyrose Posts: 142 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    That is exactly what I thought.
  • SailorSam
    SailorSam Posts: 22,754 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    For a bedroom where there isn't the wear there would be in a lounge you can put-up with something that isn't quite as comfortable under foot.
    If you already have a carpet could you leave that down as an underlay, would that work ????
    Liverpool is one of the wonders of Britain,
    What it may grow to in time, I know not what.

Daniel Defoe: 1725.
  • Strangled
    Strangled Posts: 186 Forumite
    First Post
    Options
    Felt backed is the 'modern' foam back we had years ago, altho you could'nt put underlay under the foam backed, felt you can, even just some of the cheapest underlay would help, and grippers of course. I always spray the edges as well, because you're supposed to use a 'velcro' type gripper which costs a fortune.
  • maid020279
    maid020279 Posts: 35 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I always use felt backed carpets as I have kids and so can afford to replace it, should it be required!! :)

I use the gripper for felt backed carpet, purchased from the internet (http://www.tradepriced.co.uk/) and still have loads left over. I use Cloud 9 underlay (9 or 11mm, brought from the same website) for thermal/sound insulation and also makes the carpet last a lot longer.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure