PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Greaseproof v Baking Parchment?

What is the difference between greaseproof paper and baking parchment?

Sent OH out to get some greaseproof and he came back with baking parchment "because it was 37p cheaper" - so he does listen to my complaints about cutting costs sometimes:rotfl:

I assume that they are both OK for lining my (greased & lined) cake tins, but what is it about greaseproof paper that makes it more expensive?
"Men are generally more careful of the breed(ing) of their horses and dogs than of their children" - William Penn 1644-1718

Comments

• Rikki
    Rikki Posts: 21,625 Forumite
    Frugalista wrote: »
    What is the difference between greaseproof paper and baking parchment?

Sent OH out to get some greaseproof and he came back with baking parchment "because it was 37p cheaper" - so he does listen to my complaints about cutting costs sometimes:rotfl:

I assume that they are both OK for lining my (greased & lined) cake tins, but what is it about greaseproof paper that makes it more expensive?

It makes better tracing paper for the kids? :confused:
    £2 Coins Savings Club 2012 is £4 :).............................NCFC member No: 00005.........

......................................................................TCNC member No: 00008
    NPFM 21
  • Dee140157
    Dee140157 Posts: 2,864 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker Mortgage-free Glee!
    I always use baking parchment when cooking. I rarely if ever use greaseproof. The advantage to baking parchement is that you just cut and put in tin. No need to grease etc. (Except edges of pan if eg making a cake. Nothing ever stcks to it. My kids once made flapjacks and lined with greaseproof. I didn't realise and then when cold tried to take off paper. Impossible. The whole lot ended up in the bin!
    Newbie thread: go to the top of this page and find these words: Main site > MoneySavingExpert.com Forums > Household & Travel > Motoring > Parking Tickets, Fines & Parking. Click on words Parking Tickets, Fines & Parking. Newbie thread is the first post. Blue New Thread button is just above it to left.
  • Debt_Free_Chick
    Debt_Free_Chick Posts: 13,276 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Agree that parchment seems to be better for lining cake tins.

No idea of the difference though - but they "feel" different :confused:
    Warning ..... I'm a peri-menopausal axe-wielding maniac ;)
  • suzybloo
    suzybloo Posts: 1,104 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker I've been Money Tipped!
    Ha Ha Dee I done that this weekend - thought I was the only one!!!! didnt realise there was a difference so all my flapjacks went in the bin too!!!! Glad I am not alone. (picked a fair bit off and they were lovely but ended up chewing the paper half the time!)
    Every days a School day!
  • Baking Parchment is great at Christmas for shortbread biscuits. you can reuse it for a few times and saves washing the baking sheet each time
  • catnap53
    catnap53 Posts: 232 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    I haven't used greaseproof for years since I found parchment, it was more expensive in those days but haven't checked recently.

I haven't found anything to stick to it yet and as already posted it can be reused several times if it isn't actually greasy, like for bread rolls, hobnobs etc. When it looks a bit tired I use it for oven chips, wedges, fish or chicken etc in the oven. Saves a lot of washing up of greasy baking trays.

Zzzz
  • Gangstabird
    Gangstabird Posts: 1,920 Forumite
    Always better to invest in quality non stick stuff though that you only need wipe with your hands using butter/oil and you don't actually need this stuff.

Perhaps this should be my signature. If you are going to bake and know that you are doing loads of it. Use quality baking stuff. Saves fortunes
  • Gryfon
    Gryfon Posts: 1,304 Forumite
    I need to cover my Christmas pud to steam and it says use baking parchment of which I don't have nearly enough, but I do have loads of greaseproof paper?

Will I be alright? There's nothing I'm missing if I change it is there? Need to get my pudding steaming so I'm not up all night!
    Fluttering about an inch off the ground, I may fly properly one day and soar in the clouds!

SPC2 #571 - trying to get as much as possible
  • Pink.
    Pink. Posts: 17,675 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Hi Gryfon,

It's not a stupid question! :) There was a recent thread on this which should help so I've added your post to it to keep the replies together.

Pink
  • Gryfon
    Gryfon Posts: 1,304 Forumite
    Thanks. It's only going on the top of the basin and shouldn't stick the the pudding but I shall grease the bottom just in case! :)
    Fluttering about an inch off the ground, I may fly properly one day and soar in the clouds!

SPC2 #571 - trying to get as much as possible
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport