Working Tax Credit - Free Prescriptions

Hi My Sister receives WTC of approx £7 per week. Does she need a special card to claim free prescriptions etc or does she just show her WTC award notice. Thanks

Comments

• fkelanne
    fkelanne Posts: 706 Forumite
    when i went back to work, my job centre adviser told me i couldnt get free prescriptions for my self anymore. and i get aboput £65 wk wtc
    savings for 2012.. New year new me.. Going to save save save... and not spend spend spend. :rotfl:
    WANT £7000 BY JAN 2012.
    Jan -£80
    Feb -
    March-
  • Lovaabargain
    Lovaabargain Posts: 328 Forumite
    To qualify for free prescriptions you need to be issued with an NHS Tax Credit Exemption Certificate which is a little plastic card ( same size as a credit card) that you show each time you hand in a prescripton.

hth
  • Hi Thanks for your replies. She is on the minimum wage and if she is entitled to an exemption card do you know how she goes about getting one? Does she ring the Tax Credit Office for instance?

Many Thanks
  • tcclalel
    tcclalel Posts: 105 Forumite
    Hi, I am not an expert but mine was sent automatically. It did arrive about a month after my circumstances changed and I didn't expect it. I had no correspondance to say I would receive it. If she is only recieving £7 a week I very much doubt she would be entitled, I earn about £14,000 with 2 kids if this helps...
  • She will only be entitled to the Exemption Card throught Tax Credits if she receives the disability element of WTC.
    Have a look here http://www.ppa.org.uk/ppa/low_income.htm as it gives information about the NHS Low Income Scheme.
  • donnalove
    donnalove Posts: 574 Forumite
    well we got one and hubby was getting £10 a week in wtc income 14,500 plus my carers 48.65 week, we have 3 children.
  • But you obviously have different circumstances unless the person OP is talking about also has children they havent mentioned.

Exemption Certificate Criteria
    A family is entitled to receive an Exemption Certificate where they satisfy one of the three criteria below
    • Criteria 1
    • The family’s gross income is below the earnings threshold for the relevant tax year (see the Note below for the earnings threshold)
    And
    • The family is in receipt of WTC and CTC
    And
    • The family is not in receipt of IS, JSA(IB) or PC
    • Criteria 2
    • The family's gross income is below the earnings threshold for the relevant tax year (see the Note below for the earnings threshold)
    And
    • The family is receiving WTC with a disability element
    And
    • Criteria 3
    • The family's gross income is below the earnings threshold for the relevant tax year (see the Note below for the earnings threshold)
    And
    • The family is receiving CTC only
    And
    Note: Each tax year the earnings threshold may change.

2003 / 2004 - £14200
    2004 / 2005 - £14600
    2005 / 2006 - £15050
    2006 / 2007 - £15050
    2007 / 2008 - £15050
  • narabanekeater
    narabanekeater Posts: 1,892 Forumite
    how long do these certifificates last for are they APRIL TO april or for 12 months from the date of issue?
    Mad Mum to 3 wonderful children, 2 foster kittens and 2 big fat cats that never made it to a new home!
    Aiming to loose 56 pounds this year. Total to date 44.5 pounds 12.5 to go. Slimming World Rocks!
  • 12 months from date of issue
  • les64
    les64 Posts: 49 Forumite
    Note: Each tax year the earnings threshold may change.

2003 / 2004 - £14200
    2004 / 2005 - £14600
    2005 / 2006 - £15050
    2006 / 2007 - £15050
    2007 / 2008 - £15050

This figure has not changed in 3 years. Does anyone know if it is changing from April 2009 ? I've found leaflets that say, if you are reading this after 6 /4/09 then check for any potential increase, but cannot find anywhere telling me there is going to be an increase.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure