I need help opening A Bank Account without Proof of Address?

Hello,

I'm just wondering if anybody knows anyway around opening a bank account without proof of address?

I've always been paid cash in hand since the age of 16...so never needed the use of a bank account. My employer is now in the next few weeks going to be paying our wages directly into bank accounts...but I don't have one!

I tried to open one up with Natwest but they rejected me because I don't have proof of address. The women said any bank you go to will want proof of address.

I rent a room in a house which inc all bills, so I don't have any untily bills etc

The only docs I have is my Passport, NI Card and my Birth Certificate.

The only think I can think of, is that a friend offered to open a bank account in his name and I can use that? Would that work? I trust him with my life, I've known him since I was 2 years old, So I don't think he's gonna do me over for a few quid!

The Alsum Seekers and Polish seem to get away with it so there must be a way!

Any help would be greatly appreachiated,

Thanks

Comments

• Mark7799
    Mark7799 Posts: 4,803
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    How old are you now? Are you on the electoral roll anywhere?
    Gwlad heb iaith, gwlad heb galon
  • This question was from a friend of mine, however he typed it in a 1st person point of view so it looks like I wrote it.

He's 22/23, he's a bit old Fashioned in the way he still keeps all his money under his mattress lol

As far as I know he's trying to keep off the Electoral Roll for personal reasons. He has a Driving licence but it's addressed to his mothers house and they no longer talk or something.

I didn't know what to suggest really so I said send a message under my profile on here.

I didn't think it was that hard to open a bank account, I've just used the same account since I was 12. I was stood behind a polish person the other day in a bank while he opened a bank account and all he said was "I open bank account, here is passport and address", lol the address was wrote down on a piece of paper.
  • viccig
    viccig Posts: 262
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    If you have a Yorkshire Bank near you they will open a bank account with just a valid passport, I had no proof of address when I opened my account.
    Hth

http://www.ybonline.co.uk/personal/current-accounts/opening-a-current-account/
  • Hello,

I didn't think we had one, but it seems we do. Thanks for all the support, I'll pass all this info on.

Thanks

AzzA
  • Kavanne
    Kavanne Posts: 5,093 Forumite
    Well if he changes his address with the DVLA that'd sort out the problem....
    Kavanne
    Nuns! Nuns! Reverse!

'I do my job, do you do yours?'

• bryanb
    bryanb Posts: 4,988
    First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Forumite
    What about his rent book?
    This is an open forum, anyone can post and I just did !
  • Extant
    Extant Posts: 2,140 Forumite
    Barclays will open an account on a passport or photo card driving license (provisional or full).

If the address on his driving license is out of date, the license must bear his full name and date of birth to be acceptable.
    What would William Shatner do?
  • A Driving Licence is proof of Identity and apprently can't be used as Proof of address at Natwest and RBS as no proof of address is sent to the DVLA when you request to change your address...however it seems sometimes it can be used if you take your passport with you as then that would be used to proof of identity and your driving licence of proof of address, but only if it's a new style driving licence...it's very confusing.

I don't think he has a rent book as such, I think it's just a informal agreement he has with his landlady to pay x amount per week/month.

I'll pass on the info about Yorkshire Bank and Abbey banks that do not require proof of address.
  • startech
    startech Posts: 59 Forumite
    A relative of mine who came to the UK recently, went into HSBC trying to open an account with no official proof of address. They rejected him after an assessment, however they provided him on the spot with a letter advising him of the decision (which had the address printed on it).

Went down the road to Lloyds, they accepted that letter as proof of address and managed to open up a Basic Bank Account with Visa Debit card.
  • Thanks Startech,

lmao........You couldn't make it up could you. Good Old Lloyds...What's an "assessment" thou?
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure