Can i tax car with no log or reminder?

lolly_896
lolly_896 Posts: 1,058 Forumite
I have neither for one reason or another? I read that you can take the old tax disk in along with mot and insurance? is this true? Thank you
DFW Nerd #awaiting number - Proud to be dealing with my debts!

Dont cry because it's over, smile because it happened.

Sealed Pot Challenge #781

Comments

• sassy_one
    sassy_one Posts: 2,685 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Have you not received your reminder, either this month??
  • karen24_2
    karen24_2 Posts: 136 Forumite
    if you have no log book or reminder you can only tax it at dvla local office with a V62. If the tax is not due for a while you can send off a V62 to get a new V5 (log book) then tax at the post office.
  • lolly_896
    Thank you! More expense :(

• sassy_one
    I haven't received my Tax reminder, will be ringing them this week if I don't get it by Friday, is due for renewal end of this month.

Although I have the V5 Logbook so not as bad off as the OP, I'm still pretty confused as to why I have not received the reminder!
  • lolly_896
    Dvla have said its been sent, but it hasnt arrived. Tax is late and im feeling sick with worry as its so late now so i have to do something! :S

Mine was up end of july - I know im so super unorganised its depressing!

• sassy_one
    lolly_896 wrote: »
    Dvla have said its been sent, but it hasnt arrived. Tax is late and im feeling sick with worry as its so late now so i have to do something! :S

Mine was up end of july - I know im so super unorganised its depressing!

DVLA often say they have 'sent' it but being marked 'sent' on there computer doesn't mean it's in the postal system to be honest!

I will be taxing mine with the V5 if I don't get it, but I highly recommend you contact DVLA again and even write to them stating you will/have taxed the car at a local DVLA office or you may find yourself landed with a £80 fine from them!
  • budget_babe
    budget_babe Posts: 1,633 Forumite
    I have neither for one reason or another? I read that you can take the old tax disk in along with mot and insurance? is this true? Thank you

Hi Lolly,

I had the same problem last year, no reminder had come and I could not find my log book. I rang Dvla and upshot was I needed to get a new log book which cost £25.00.

Whilst I was waiting for this to come, another reminder was issued just after I had requested my log book.

There is seemingly no other way you can tax your car, you need either the log book or the reminder. I have had my car since new ahem some 13 years ago and been the only registered keeper. But it still didn't make any differnece.

Also as they pointed out you cannot drive your car without a valid tax disc. So mine was off the road until I was able to get my tax disc.

Hope it gets sorted for you mate
    Budgie

ETA the guy I spoke to at the Dvla did tell me that they never usually do anything as long as it is renewed in the month, perhaps clarify this with them yourself too. But I had the same worries as you.
    Cherish the ones you love and travel back on the road that brings you home :)
    "What lies behind us and what lies before us are tiny matters compared to what lies within us" Ralph Waldo Emerson :A
  • vaio
    vaio Posts: 12,287 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    ......I read that you can take the old tax disk in along with mot and insurance? is this true? Thank you

Sounds like an eminently sensible idea that would make life easy for the general public so the chance of actually being able to do it is zero
  • lolly_896
    vaio wrote: »
    Sounds like an eminently sensible idea that would make life easy for the general public so the chance of actually being able to do it is zero

Thanks - this has made me smile x

• vaio
    vaio Posts: 12,287 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Same logic applies to number plates, if you take the car with the broken plate attached you should be able to get a replacement, instead you have to have logbook, passport, gas bill and mother's birth certificate

(or whistle a hassle free one up from ebay)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure