Buying a car without the V5

Options
2»

Comments

• pitkin2020
    pitkin2020 Posts: 4,029 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    If you think it's ok then go for, but I would certainly be paying for a proper HPi check that is guaranteed unlike mytextcheck to ensure there is nothing hidden about the car.
    Everyones opinion is the most important.....no wonder nothing is ever agreed on.
  • Inactive
    Inactive Posts: 14,509 Forumite
    Options
    blued wrote: »
    Tax runs until March so 2 months should be plenty of time for a v5 to arrive. I would hope so anyway.

I calculate that to be one short month and a few days away.:)
  • blued
    blued Posts: 698 Forumite
    Options
    pitkin2020 wrote: »
    If you think it's ok then go for, but I would certainly be paying for a proper HPi check that is guaranteed unlike mytextcheck to ensure there is nothing hidden about the car.
    I'll definitely get the a proper HPI check done. I can see these text checks being about as good as a verbal agreement!
  • hartcjhart
    hartcjhart Posts: 9,463 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    as stated the v5 is only the registered keeper not the legal owner,

depending on price yes get a 'proper' full hpi check done,get the seller to write you a receipt stating the fact that he is the 'full' legal owner of the vehicle,make sure his address is also on it,

also ask for a photo copy of suitable ID,passport/photo licence,
    I :love: MOJACAR
  • Hintza
    Hintza Posts: 19,420 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Just to say I had to apply for the V5 this month on a Cat D and it arrived today. I think it took just about a week. Best if he applies as it will probably be faster otherwise you apply then they send him a letter to confirm he is no longer the registered keeper and that all takes time.
  • mrscb
    mrscb Posts: 1,163 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Did the person selling the car actually get a v5 himelf when he bought the car from 'a friend',if not it will still be in the friends name and it will probably take longer to sort out.
    :beer: Am thinking of a new one:beer:
  • Lincoln_Imp
    Lincoln_Imp Posts: 2,518 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Trouble is you cannot get a full complete HPI check done because you wont have the V5 Registration serial number and issue date and without that your HPI Guarantee isnt worth anything

11.1 To qualify for the HPI Guarantee, you must do the following before buying your vehicle:
    1. 11.1.1 you must ensure that the vehicle is accompanied by a full and current V5/Logbook from the Driver and Vehicle Licensing Agency, and provide us with the serial number and issue date from it;
    Have a nice day :)
  • bezzza
    bezzza Posts: 731 Forumite
    Options
    I have found in the past that people who do not have the V5, it usually means it is still under the previous keepers name and it hasn't been changed so as not to increase the amount of previous keepers (3 previous keepers always looks better than 4, doesn't it?)
    :j:T Total Prize Value 2012 - £1835 :T:j
    :AThanx to all the good people that post comps (and answers!):A
    Be Good, Be Lucky, Be Happy:)
  • blued
    blued Posts: 698 Forumite
    Options
    The car has now sold so I wont even get a look at it.

Thanks to all who replied.
  • aqueoushumour01
    Options
    I wouldn't buy a car with no V5. They can just apply for it and receive it within a fairly short time so why sell it without one? 2 possibilities - they're lazy or they don't own the car. If the former they probably haven't taken care of the car, so in both cases I'd stay clear.
    :D
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport