son receives middle rate DLA, I get carers allowance, we are buying a new car...

I saw someone mention a 10% discount if you or a member of your family receives DLA, is this true and is it available in Scotland?

He is only 2 so gets middle rate DLA for personal care.

I am going to apply for a blue badge as parking in town is horrid when all parent and child spaces are taken. He mostly uses a buggy but can walk, he just gets tired very fast.

Is there anything else we are entitled too?

Comments

• Morglin
    Morglin Posts: 15,919 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Photogenic First Anniversary
    I have never heard of this discount, although you can claim VAT back for certain things.

However, this is the trade org., that applies in Scotland, and no doubt they will have the info:

http://www.smta.co.uk/

Lin :)
    You can tell a lot about a woman by her hands..........for instance, if they are placed around your throat, she's probably slightly upset. ;)
  • Mrs_B_12
    Mrs_B_12 Posts: 364 Forumite
    Check out www.specialkidsintheuk.org, lots of useful info there about benefits and other help you can get.
  • lil_me
    lil_me Posts: 13,186 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/DisabledPeople/FinancialSupport/DG_10028495 about VAT relief for the disabled. Vehicle tax relief is usually given for adapted cars/vans etc.

Blue badge info here http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/DisabledPeople/MotoringAndTransport/DG_4001061
    One day I might be more organised...........:confused:
    GC: £200
    Slinkies target 2018 - another 70lb off (half way to what the NHS says) so far 25lb
  • Taffyscot
    Taffyscot Posts: 896 Forumite
    Do not forget that with a disabled badge you can park free at most council car parks, including hospitals. Also if you go on a ferry with your child you can get the car price for half price. Similarly if you go on any toll roads like the Severn bridge and the child is with you, you show the badge and you do not have to pay toll fees. Let's think, there is something that I am missing here. Oh yes you do not have to pay road tax on the vehicle you can apply for a special exemption because you have a disabled sticker.
    You say you are in Scotland well another tip if travelling to Wales or England you need to get a loan of a special clock disabled sticker from your local council as Scotland does not have the clock system and you might get fined in a council parking lot without one in England or Scotland. (We did but I fought it and did not pay.)
    Oh with your disabled sticker and you as a carer you can go into heritage sites eg castles in Scotland for half price even tho the child might not have to pay right now it means that you can go in for half price as his carer/companion as the idea is that you are taking him there and so should not have to pay the full price. If I think of anything else that you are entitled to I will let you know and if anyone has anything else to add that I haven't added please feel free to add so that I will benefit too. Taffy
  • Hapless_2
    Hapless_2 Posts: 2,619 Forumite
    Disabled road tax
    • the exemption can only be claimed for one vehicle at a time
    • you must pay vehicle tax on any additional vehicles
    • you can nominate someone else (a nominee) to drive for you. But the car must:
    • be registered either to you or your nominee
    • only be used for your benefit (for example shopping or getting prescriptions)
    • be insured for the nominee or anyone else who drives the vehicle for your purposes
    Blue badge
    Local councils can take away a badge if the badge holder misuses it - for example, by allowing other people to use it or if a person's disability improves so that they are no longer eligible for the scheme.
    If you are a badge holder, it can only be used for your benefit. If a trip is for someone else and you are a passenger and staying in the vehicle, you cannot use the badge simply to let them benefit from free parking.
    Blue Badges need to be properly issued and displayed. It is an offence if a badge is not removed from a vehicle and people other than the badge holder take advantage of the parking concessions under the scheme.
    Misuse of the badge itself by a non-disabled person is an offence. The maximum fine if someone is convicted is £1,000 plus any additional penalty for the related parking offence.
    The "Bloodlust" Clique - Morally equal to all. Member 10
    grocery challenge...Budget £420

Wk 1 £27.10
    Wk 2 £78.06
    Wk 3 £163.06
    Wk 4
  • Taffyscot
    Taffyscot Posts: 896 Forumite
    I did state if the child is with you for all the blue badge advantages and did not once suggest that the mother use the badge if the disabled child was not there. There was a sign at a disabled stall in Perpignan, France which when loosely translated into English said "If you take my disabled spot and you are not disabled would you also like to have my disability?" I thought that was brilliant. I lived in Canada for many years and it is an offence in Canada to park in a disabled spot without a badge. I found this out to my chagrin when I parked in a disabled spot covered in snow and with only wheelchair markings on the actual ground. I did not have a disabled badge and would not have used the spot if I had known. I find it very distressing now that living in Scotland with my partner; who has Parkinson's; that the disabled bays are a courtesy bay and people do not get fined for parking in these bays.
    Oh and can someone please help me I do not know how to add the quote from the previous thread. There is a box to tick under this message but it is always light grey and will not accept my tick. Taffy
  • donnalove
    donnalove Posts: 574 Forumite
    hi taffy

you press the quote button which is next to the thanks button, on posts

donnalove
    xxx
  • tiamai_d
    tiamai_d Posts: 11,987 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Thanks everyone for your reply's.

I will apply for the blue badge for him as it is getting difficult parking in town if he is with me.

he is at that age where he needs a buggy for long distance, but I should be getting him to walk short distances. Its hard though as he is heavy, and even though I know he is tired, he fights it and ends up falling and getting hurt, but throws tantrums when I carry him!!! Kids!!!

PS, you can get fined for parking in disabled bays on public roads and car parks, when you should not be there, but not if you use a disabled bay in a supermarket or private car park.

Though I have often thought about it at asda when you see the parent and child spaces full of cars with no kids in sight, I have never had the guts to use a disabled space.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure